Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon monoxide?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am worried about the possibility of carbon monoxide leaking into my flat.
    It is an old house that was converted into flats.
    My flat is on the ground floor.
    The cooker is in the place where there used to be a fireplace - it is in its own space underneath a chimney that has been boarded up.
    There is no extractor fan, just the cooker and then this little 'roof' about three feet above the hob.
    Anytime there is rain, soot falls down the back.
    Lately there has been heavy hailstones and they make a very loud noise, like gravel on a tin roof, falling onto this little roof, and soot falls and splashes all over the back of the cooker.
    What should I do or who should I contact to check if there is a safety issue? I have been living here for a while and recently been worried about my health, and this was how I discovered that this could a health hazard because I have been keeping windows closed all the time due to the cold.
    I happened to see an ad on TV yesterday and rang the helpline and they told me to buy a detector in a hardware shop, but how much would this cost I wonder.
    I am strongly thinking of moving out immediately even though I don't want to.
    Please advise me what to do next or if you have experience of anything like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if your worried buy a carbon monoxide detector.

voila problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

carbon monoxide detectors can be pricye but the ESB website has one for 25euro that is good.

I actually dont think that is a carbon monoxide risk, the fact that there is soot ect doesnt really matter.
    Is it a gas cooker? because if its just electric afaik it woudlnt be any risk.

But I do think 25e is worth peace of mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

B&Q had them for around €11. This was back in June when I bought it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you are concerned about safety, you can request that your local council have a look at the flat.

Ask them for your Environmental Health Officer from their Housing and Residential Services Dept.

The LL is required to have minimum levels of ventilation. Usually a gas appliance requires a permanent vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Is a silent killer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement