Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Financial Fair Play Premier League Table

• 01-12-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

No surprise at the top of The Times Financial Fair Play League table for November – just Bolton Wanderers deservedly resplendent. The position at least temporarily vacated by Roberto Di Matteo’s West Bromwich Albion has been taken by Owen Coyle’s suddenly fashionable entertainers.

Bolton are certainly doing it in style. The bewildering pattern of short, fast passes that led to Mark Davies’s goal against Blackpool on Saturday would not have been out of place amid Barcelona’s staggering exhibition against Real Madrid. The plaudits are multiplying for a side built at relatively moderate cost but astutely managed by the man lured from Burnley last season.

Also great value for money, still, are second-placed Blackpool, no mean entertainers themselves. The FFP League, its positions calculated under a points-per-pound formula devised by Sue Bridgewater, director of the Professional Footballers’ Association/League Managers Association course for current and aspiring managers at the University of Warwick, was always going to favour Ian Holloway’s team because of their low budget – but the extent of their footballing miracle is now clearly demonstrated.

Of the true top-four clubs, Arsenal continue to do the best, fuelling the assumption that they are best placed to take advantage of the real Financial Fair Play provisions when they are fully introduced by Uefa over the next few years.

There remains a great deal of leeway for Liverpool to make up, however. John W. Henry II and Tom Werner, the new powers-that-be at Anfield, have confessed themselves shocked at the cost of maintaining the squad bequeathed by Rafa Benitez to Roy Hodgson.

Chelsea are also economising, albeit off the field at present. So watch our FFP League for signs of those who are best equipped for the new era: and note Tottenham Hotspur, our latest Champions League participants, in a healthy fifth place. Not that Harry Redknapp will be shy in endeavouring to spend any spare cash available at White Hart Lane.

Patrick Barclay - The Times

The Table:
    Financial Fair Play League November 2010/2011 season
    1 Bolton Wanderers (6)
    2 Blackpool (11)
    3 Arsenal (3)
    4 West Bromwich Albion (12)
    5 Tottenham Hotspur (5)
    6 Manchester United (1)
    7 Newcastle United (9)
    8 Blackburn Rovers (13)
    9 Everton (16)
    10 Chelsea (2)
    11 Stoke City (8)
    12 Fulham (17)
    13 Sunderland (7)
    14 Wigan Athletic (18)
    15 Birmingham City (14)
    16 Wolverhampton Wanderers (19)
    17 Aston Villa (15)
    18 Manchester City (4)
    19 Liverpool (10)
    20 West Ham United (20)

Numbers in brackets are the current position of teams in the PL.

Arsenal obviously the best of the top four and Chelsea are slowly, but surely, climbing up that table.

For anybody who doesn't understand, here is how the table is constructed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pool and City letting themselves down badly I see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

flahavaj wrote: »
    Pool and City letting themselves down badly I see.

Neither of those teams are in a billion pound of debt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

To call it financial fair play is misleading. Bolton made a loss of over £30m last year. To put it in perspective their turnover is approximately £60m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

karma_ wrote: »

who is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Which team has that level of debt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The Muppet wrote: »
    Which team has that level of debt?

Must be united?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Must be united?

The united debt of all the clubs in the PL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

baz2009 wrote: »
    The united debt of all the clubs in the PL?

I was under the impression the United debt was around £1.1b, is that not the case?

Although I do recall something recently about the Glazers being about to repay some of it but it's not a story I follow too closely. What is the current debt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Must be united?

Surely not.
    I was under the impression the United debt was around £1.1b, is that not the case?

Although I do recall something recently about the Glazers being about to repay some of it but it's not a story I follow too closely. What is the current debt?

Uniteds current debt is around £500 million and they have around £150 million cash in the bank.

Advertisement