Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Festival 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I much preferred it when it was 'Monster of Rock', when you had to be a real 'Monster of Rock' to get on the bill. Now, IMO, there's wayyyyyy too many bands on over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well if MCR do play then i shall be at Pendulum and not worrying about missing someone good . Are MCR any bigger since the Black Parade?

Andy Copping believes they are. I doubt it as the kids who liked them have grown up now (a slight bit). I very much doubt it has transpired that way, as he said their album would be huge, and it hasn't been that big. Not as much media on them any more either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mushy wrote: »
    Andy Copping believes they are. I doubt it as the kids who liked them have grown up now (a slight bit). I very much doubt it has transpired that way, as he said their album would be huge, and it hasn't been that big. Not as much media on them any more either.

Thats what i have been thinking , Like i remember when The Black Parade came out and it was huge put this album there doesnt seem as big thing happening. As said most fans have moved on (possibly 30 Seconds To Mars have stolen there fans)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

In fairness they've announced loads of bands and 3rd headliner is being announced on the 23rd. It's not that bad.

Very true, but in comparison with the European festivals, they are way behind regarding announcements. I guess Bloodstock or High Voltage is more to my tastes anyway as i'm sure not a "kid" and haven't been for years :-D

Thats what i have been thinking , Like i remember when The Black Parade came out and it was huge put this album there doesnt seem as big thing happening. As said most fans have moved on (possibly 30 Seconds To Mars have stolen there fans)

Yeah bands of similar style, so MCR, Paramore etc. Just seems very conveniant to be announcing it on that date. Other bands will be the Kerrang tour bands.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah bands of similar style, so MCR, Paramore etc. Just seems very conveniant to be announcing it on that date. Other bands will be the Kerrang tour bands.

Yea it is worrying that MCR finish their tour the same time . If they got booked as a sub-headliner it would be ok(since thats the spot they were supposed to play a few years ago) and would it be a good idea to book 2/3 of the same headliners from 2007

Yea it is worrying that MCR finish their tour the same time . If they got booked as a sub-headliner it would be ok(since thats the spot they were supposed to play a few years ago) and would it be a good idea to book 2/3 of the same headliners from 2007

Yeah very easily could be sub-headliner. Only reason I think its higher is due to Copping talking them up a lot. I had strong aspirations of going to Download this year, and with SOAD, it seemed like a good choice. Soni had Slipknot and I'm not that keen on them. Then Soni announced Biffy and I was sceptical but Download did Linkin Park. If third headliner is MCR, I'm 100% right in the choice that I've made (since SOAD announcement, only 2 more bands added that I want to see too).

As for repeats from the same year, it really wouldn't be a good advertisement. Although Korn requested to sub the second stage, obviously wanting to see the headliner. surely the headliner couldn't be MCR? If it isn't, my guess is them subbing Soundgarden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Soundgarden with mcr subbing is a pretty good shout. Would be a decent booking, neither band is really a huge headliner, (certainly not soad or slipknot big) so putting them on together is a good idea. Kinda co headlining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

I prefer the double of Soundgarden with Pearljam Headlining!
    That would be awesome, and sell it for me! Busy night for Matt Cameron though :)

If its MCR then **** that ****! Sonisphere it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

If its MCR I aint going. simple

• Advertisement

HBK wrote: »
    I prefer the double of Soundgarden with Pearljam Headlining!
    That would be awesome, and sell it for me! Busy night for Matt Cameron though :)

If its MCR then **** that ****! Sonisphere it is!

Helloooo day ticket if its Pearl Jam!

If its MCR I aint going. simple

Why thats the only 1 band? Thats like me saying im not going to Oxegen because the Arctic Monkeys. If MCR do headline it will make me happy cause i know im not missing anyone while i see these guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Why thats the only 1 band? Thats like me saying im not going to Oxegen because the Arctic Monkeys. If MCR do headline it will make me happy cause i know im not missing anyone while i see these guys :)

Its not just the one band, myself and the girlfriend going or not going depends on the next announcement. As of now we are only going for Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet and Linkin Park. We just want to get our money's worth. If the 3rd headliner is someone we aren't into then we would feel we are wasting our money

Completely forgot bout one more thing that lends weight to MCR playing/headlining.

On ticketmaster, a little ad at side of page said 'tickets to see my chemical rmance at download 2011'. Cant see them not being announced

Could the 3rd headliner be Foo's? There NME big gig is the 25th 2 days after the announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Could the 3rd headliner be Foo's? There NME big gig is the 25th 2 days after the announcement

IOW festival exclusives.

3 Doors Down
    All That Remains
    ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
    Architects
    Asking Alexandria
    August Burns Red
    Disturbed
    Duff McKagan's Loaded
    Framing Hanley
    Mastodon
    Neon Trees
    Royal Republic
    Söhne Mannheims
    The Devil Wears Prada
    The Nakes And Famous
    Time Of Grace

added to Rock Am Ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

3 Doors Down...
    ...Time Of Grace

added to Rock Am Ring

Is this meant to be an indication of what other bands could be playing Download or just a list of bands for a totally unrelated festival?

Is this meant to be an indication of what other bands could be playing Download or just a list of bands for a totally unrelated festival?

Yea since RAR is a week before Download and a good few bands do share between each festival

Eg Last year both had:
    RATM,30STM,B4MV,Them Crooked Vultures,Stone Sour etc

Yea since RAR is a week before Download and a good few bands do share between each festival

Eg Last year both had:
    RATM,30STM,B4MV,Them Crooked Vultures,Stone Sour etc

Great. Here's hoping that Mastodon play there...and on the same day as Systme of a Down. Then I will definatly be heading there, for the Saturday at least...if day tickets become available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Great. Here's hoping that Mastodon play there...and on the same day as Systme of a Down. Then I will definatly be heading there, for the Saturday at least...if day tickets become available.
    Doubt it!

For a start Mastadon & Architects are already playing Sonisphere, and I'm pretty sure none do both festivals? Generally signed up for 1, you cant do the other? I could be wrong though?

HBK wrote: »
    Doubt it!

For a start Mastadon & Architects are already playing Sonisphere, and I'm pretty sure none do both festivals? Generally signed up for 1, you cant do the other? I could be wrong though?

I thought that alright, I was just hoping really. But, we could be in with a good chance of a Mastodon date here sometime before or after download given that they skipped us on the last tour.

A poster that has been flying around forums atm

ijuBeu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Imo that is probably the worst line up ever, for a "Metal"(and i use the term very loosely) festival! Shocking ! And how does The darkness just come back and get a headlining slot above bands like Sepultura..:confused:

Saaron wrote: »
    Imo that is probably the worst line up ever, for a "Metal"(and i use the term very loosely) festival! Shocking ! And how does The darkness just come back and get a headlining slot above bands like Sepultura..:confused:

Its not Metal Specific festival

Its not Metal Specific festival

Yeah i guess you're right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I love the Darkness but thats a pretty poor festival compared to last year. I think Sonisphere are probably trying eliminate the competition by booking everyone big this year. They even offered free tickets for festivals during the time of Download. It wouldnt surprise me if Sonisphere UK are working at a financial loss this year.
    http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com/news/buy-one-sonisphere-get-three-for-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IMO Sonisphere was a great idea, but there's not enough metal bands out there touring to justify having both festivals. If ya took the best out of both and stuck them on 1 Festival it'd be awesome.

Due to this people are stuck with bands like Biffy Clyro headlining a metal fest!!

Headliners seem to be repeated every 2-3 years, or even every year at alternate festivals.

Oh for the good old days of Monster of Rock with 1 day at Reading left solely for Metal acts

scudzilla wrote: »

Headliners seem to be repeated every 2-3 years, or even every year at alternate festivals.

Yeah i've noticed that aswell, Its pretty lame. It seems like linkin park or slipknot headline download every year or second year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

A poster that has been flying around forums atm

ijuBeu.jpg
    wow-really good 'ROCK' line up not much in the line of Metal though...still....the fri and sat would be realy good imo and if the 'special guests' where perhaps Vr plus new singer that would be killer :))

Advertisement