Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coaxial Digital Audio Out on Sky+HD Box?

• 01-12-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

I'm hoping to get Sky in my apartment fairly soon. My A/V receiver only has two optical audio in's and one coaxial audio in and I'm already using the optical ones for other stuff (dvd player and media streamer). I'm hoping the Sky+HD box I get will have a coaxial digital audio out but my googling so far hasn't resulted in a definitive answer. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It has optical out only I'm afraid

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

My pace box has both in fact I use the co-axial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

My pace box has both in fact I use the co-axial.

I stand corrected

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks guys. Seems like it depends on what box I get. I'll just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Odds are you'll be ok as the later box's have both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if not, optical to coaxial converters are relatively cheap and easy to find, so i wouldn't worry much about it

Thanks guys. I'll wait and see what I get, and if I need it I'll look into getting a converter.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

BTW - read somewhere that it's analog sound only carried through the HDMI port - to get Dolby 5.1 you need to connect optical to amp

keith_d99 wrote: »
    BTW - read somewhere that it's analog sound only carried through the HDMI port - to get Dolby 5.1 you need to connect optical to amp

Yeah my plan is to connect the coaxial cable to my A/v receiver to get the best sound quality. A quick google informs me that coaxial and optical are pretty much the same over short distances so that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

keith_d99 wrote: »

HDMI is all digital but on the Sky box it only carries 2 channels so you do need Optical or Coaxial if you want Dolby 5.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Absolutely correct - not analog, but 2 channel stereo

Article from 2009 that mentions this:

Open to correction, but I don't think things have changed since. Just looked at Sky help site for HD, and it's poor that they don't even mention this!
    gtg60 wrote: »
    HDMI is all digital but on the Sky box it only carries 2 channels so you do need Optical or Coaxial if you want Dolby 5.1

Just to close the loop on this, I finally got sky installed in my apartment (fibre based shared dish system) and the HD box has optical and coaxial digital out so I'm sorted.

Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement