Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Ethanol Fire???

Options
  • 01-12-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi everybody, I am really hoping somebody can help me with this. We have our house in an estate and its all gas. Gas heating, fire and cooking. Now we find the gas fire eats gaseek.gif and we have been thinking of taking it out and replacing it with a bio ethanol fire.
    Does anybody know anything about these or how good they really are. I know that they run on bio ethanol oil and you can buy this in litre bottles for something like 2euro per bottle, this litre burns for 3-6 hours depending on your settings of course. It is also a renewable energy product and the oil is produced in Ireland.
    I find with the gas when its on you never know how much you are actually using until the bill comes, but with this the oil is gone when its gone.
    I would be very interested in anybody with any info or even if you have seen them before or know anything about them.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I would be interested in this too, cos we're in the same boat and just got a whopper of a bill! And we're not even using the gas fire! :eek:
    I dread to think what the Dec/Jan bill will be like if this weather carries on.

Id also be interested in replacing the gas fire with an open fire or stove, so if anyone knows anything about that, or if its possible or costly, and who to contact, it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zajdoo

Hi cherrycola, we really wanted an open fire, but because the house is gas they don't have a chimney, just a 40cm / 60cm tube up the back of it, then vents around the room. So we couldn't put in an open fire, and we didn't have any room on an outside wall to put one in either, so you need those anyway.
    After that Im sure if you go to the likes of a builder or even a supllier of fire places they could be able to tell you.
    We only light the gas fire v v little but it is very expensive, and Id love the bio ethanol just for the simple fact of having a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

zajdoo wrote: »
    Hi cherrycola, we really wanted an open fire, but because the house is gas they don't have a chimney, just a 40cm / 60cm tube up the back of it, then vents around the room.
    I'm assuming your measurements are a bit off there zajdoo.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm assuming your measurements are a bit off there zajdoo.

Thats what I was told was there when I enquired about changing it to an open fire, so I cant say whether they are or not off, I can only go by what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

An open fire is the last thing you want - they are incredibly inefficient. Bio-ethanol fires can be used without a flue, so you can site them anywhere you want. Roughly 1/3rd of a litre of fuel equates to the same heat as from a 1kw heater and lasts 1-2 hours.

edit: since this tech is pretty new over here and in the UK the prices are really high, you may be a lot better off ordering from europe where they are not as new. You can also buy parts and build one yourself pretty easily.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much runawaybishop just trying find company near us or that has reps nearer to us than cork. It is something we are very interested in, sooner the better, to be honest be lovely having it, without the worry of gas bills!!

Advertisement