Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protecting Ext. Hard Drive Files

• 01-12-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hey,

Im wondering is their a way to prevent copying of HD files from an external laptop.

Eg:

If I have all my work on an external HD can I make it protected so that if someone has it it cannot be copied and pasted onto a laptop or drag and dropped.

Any info would be appreciated.

(please no answers so as take stuff you dont want shared off etc, Jus answers of the question if anyone knows)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Encrypt the drive. Google 'encrypt external drive'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

bhickey wrote: »
    Encrypt the drive. Google 'encrypt external drive'.
    I encrypted my laptop drive so nothing could be recovered if it were ever stolen or lost. I recommend TrueCrypt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

Thanks for answers.

Is it possible allow to view the files in programs, such as mp3s play in their player but not to copy them over to their hard drive by copy and past or drag and drop.

Or does encypt password protect it all for no access?

Will also check link out, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

PatrickD32 wrote: »
    Thanks for answers.

Is it possible allow to view the files in programs, such as mp3s play in their player but not to copy them over to their hard drive by copy and past or drag and drop.

Or does encypt password protect it all for no access?

Will also check link out, thanks.
    Encrypting it will prevent anyone from accessing it without the encryption key. It'll look like the drive is full of random, incomprehensible data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

+1 for TrueCrypt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

I don't think encryption is what you're looking for. If I understand you right, you don't want limit access to the files, you want to restrict the type of access. If you encrypt it you have to give anyone who has to be able to use the files the key. Once they have the key they can do what they want with the files.

What you're asking for is some kind of DRM for a hard drive I think. As far as I know, it dosen't exist. If a computer can read a file then it can copy it, they work on the same principle.

For example, take an image file. If I can see an image on my screen, I can copy that image file. With images, even if I don't have access to the file somehow, I could just take a screenshot of the portion of my sceen the image is displayed on and I've essentially copied it.
    With MP3s, If I can play it through my speakers, I can use software that will record it as it's played, even if I don't have the file.

So even if you could do what you're asking for it would be kind of pointless, it would only be illusionary security in a way.

If you did want to do it anyway, the only way to do it that I can think of is to have your own software to provide the content. You'd hide all of the files away (in one big file say) so that only your software would know how to retrieve the data for a particular file. It would need to have it's own built in MP3 player, image viewer etc. I presume this is way beyond your budget though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

@ OP, just wondering what option (if any) did you choose in the end..?

Advertisement