Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner-city kids.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Were kids that mouthy thirty years ago I wonder?

Im sure they would have been shipped down to Clonmel or somewhere similar to Industrial school.

That would have quietened them methinks.

They also would probably have been raped....

I agree with the OP. Too many liberal fools out there claiming "oh they are victims of their environment" bullsh!t. There is just a breed of anti-social scum with a hardman mentality. Particularly amongst the towny element I'm only 24 but can see the change even in last few years.

One side of my family is through and through Dub city they eat "packages of crips", they were tough hardworking people. This thug mentality as of late, does not wash and has not washed with any of these type of true blue dubs

But on the other hands..some posters need to lighten up...kids throwing snowballs...oh the humanity...where does their evil end?!?

I could understand if they were throwing stones or bricks. I was walking back from the cinema last night with the lads and we got ambushed by a group of kids throwing snowballs. We laughed and started pelting them back. Good times had by all. I'd hardly call that anti-social

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

BigDuffman wrote: »
    This thug mentality as of late
    In fairness, it's not of late - nothing new about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Dudess wrote: »
    No, we can't. I don't know about you, but I think a childhood lacking in severe beatings and rapes is a GOOD thing. Some kids are little sh1tbags, but no matter what they do, breaking them into nothing and instilling obedience in them through terror is not the answer and will only fuk them up even more. Charming too how you imply the kids in the industrial schools weren't all innocent little victims. No matter what they did before they were placed there (and they could have been right brats) their guardians beating them to a pulp regularly... is worse.
    A Dublin man admitted to me once that, yes, he was a little bastid growing up in the inner city back in the '50s - and by god did he pay for it in Letterfrack. The man was choking back the tears as he told me. Messed up to agree with that kind of punishment.

HOW is it anything to do with being liberal and PC?

Nobody has a problem with you using the term "gurrier" - seriously, it's ok, the impending accusation that you're not being PC is... all in your head.

read this and the frst image that popped into my head: (forgive the size of the url,it's google for ya:rolleyes:):D http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xeijVgoTSxE/TLV6YvNteNI/AAAAAAAAAVo/EU6Zp5BEvZM/s400/sitting_on_the_fence_lg_wht.gif&imgrefurl=http://petersfieldnewswire.blogspot.com/&usg=__0vtnXheyLw-7CB2BhI_2Ewp4RUY=&h=182&w=163&sz=23&hl=en&start=0&sig2=RxESkFhGa8Zu89XjcIF2SQ&zoom=1&tbnid=T3GH0Fodq7Y4CM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=113&ei=RqP3TKXVMpCJhQf178jFDw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsitting%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bfence%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26channel%3Ds%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D575%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=516&vpy=140&dur=1347&hovh=145&hovw=130&tx=120&ty=89&oei=RqP3TKXVMpCJhQf178jFDw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0 (

what fuinsog was saying was that society is more liberal than before because the little ****s that the OP describes arent sent off to places likeletterfrack or the industrial schools anymore, in fact society's gone as far as to give them a free pass to do whatever they want.
    seeing as you've got all the answers to everything Dudess why dont you run for minister of justice/

what fuinsog was saying was that society is more liberal than before because the little ****s that the OP describes arent sent off to places likeletterfrack or the industrial schools anymore
    Well if being "too liberal" is not wanting kids beaten to a pulp for years and possibly raped, then I'll take "too liberal" thanks.
    seeing as you've got all the answers to everything Dudess why dont you run for minister of justice/
    :confused:

Um... where did I say or even imply that I have the answers to everything? Posting a comment that's in disagreement with something isn't also a statement that one has all the answers you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

There were letters in the Irish Times 100 years ago complaining about this sort of thing except they were then called 'corner boys'. No matter how many youth clubs you set up lads will always be lads.

• Advertisement

Well if being "too liberal" is not wanting kids beaten to a pulp for years and possibly raped, then I'll take "too liberal" thanks.

:confused:

Well, you cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs;)
    Um... where did I say or even imply that I have the answers to everything? Posting a comment that's in disagreement with something isn't also a statement that one has all the answers you know...

that was the general vibe I was getting from your posts in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Jo'burg analogy almost sounds like perverse civic pride. Akin to saying my deprived working-class youth are better than yours.

That said, that kind of paradox crops up frequently in discourse about "scumbags". People bemoaning the horrible violence of being snowballed or insulted outside the local Spar themselves get an erection about violent scenarios such as children being killed in a tougher ghetto or forcibly sterilized as a class.

stovelid wrote: »
    The Jo'burg analogy almost sounds like perverse civic pride. Akin to saying my deprived working-class youth are better than yours.

That said, that kind of paradox crops up frequently in discourse about "scumbags". People bemoaning the horrible violence of being snowballed or insulted outside the local Spar themselves get an erection about violent scenarios such as them being killed in a tougher ghetto or forcibly sterilized as a class.

I think it's more about letting them have a taste of their own medicine. as for the forcible sterilization, that's a pragmatic solution tbh nothing of value will be lost

I think it's more about letting them have a taste of their own medicine. as for the forcible sterilization, that's a pragmatic solution tbh nothing of value will be lost

Did the ickle snowballs make you cry impotent tears of rage?

Did the ickle snowballs make you cry impotent tears of rage?
    lol snowballs i can live with, no i'm referencing the time i nearly got mugged by a bunch of scangers in fairview park. i suppose if theyre just throwing normal snowballs fine, though throwing rocks is out of order imo

• Advertisement

lol snowballs i can live with, no i'm referencing the time i nearly got mugged by a bunch of scangers in fairview park. i suppose if theyre just throwing normal snowballs fine, though throwing rocks is out of order imo

It's a dangerous spot to be cruising in to be honest.

It's a dangerous spot to be cruising in to be honest.

lol cheeky!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Interesting thread. I'm just in the house after traversing the inner city by car.

I saw numerous incidents of kids pelting oul wans with snowballs and cars too, making driving even more dangerous than it is already. Needless to say, not a single cop to be seen anywhere on the streets.

One incident was of especial concern. A car approaching a main junction got his windscreen pelted with snowballs to the extent that he couldn't have had any vision even with the wipers going full whack.

As a result, he skidded to a halt, sliding out onto the main road, causing other cars to brake and nearly causing a huge pile up. Cue laughter from the kids of course. I was one of the cars forced to brake too.

Driver got out to remonstrate with them and they kept turfing snowballs at him, standing their ground. He collared one of them and slammed his face into the nearest wall. The rest fled.

Do I endorse such actions? Actually, in the context, I do. Those scumbags could have cost me my life with their dickhead behaviour. More of it please, I say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Interesting thread. I'm just in the house after traversing the inner city by car.

I saw numerous incidents of kids pelting oul wans with snowballs and cars too, making driving even more dangerous than it is already. Needless to say, not a single cop to be seen anywhere on the streets.

One incident was of especial concern. A car approaching a main junction got his windscreen pelted with snowballs to the extent that he couldn't have had any vision even with the wipers going full whack.

As a result, he skidded to a halt, sliding out onto the main road, causing other cars to brake and nearly causing a huge pile up. Cue laughter from the kids of course. I was one of the cars forced to brake too.

Driver got out to remonstrate with them and they kept turfing snowballs at him, standing their ground. He collared one of them and slammed his face into the nearest wall. The rest fled.

Do I endorse such actions? Actually, in the context, I do. Those scumbags could have cost me my life with their dickhead behaviour. More of it please, I say.

I've had numerous snowballs thrown at me when walking around the city in the last few days.. I ignore them and keep walking, then they realise they are wasting their snowballs and move onto the next target..

However the other day there were 2 rather large eastern european guys walking ahead of me, about 20 metres or so.. and a few little scumbag kids, early teens, decided to start pelting them with snowballs, the lads didn't take too kindly to it shouted at the to stop, the kids started hurling abuse (f*ck off back to your own country, etc) along with more snowballs..

So the 2 lads turned and ran at them, a few of the kids started to run but slipped and the lads caught up with 2, one started mouthing off and sure enough he got an unmerciful slap across the side of the head followed by a few more.. the guy holding him said something more to him rather quietly, dropped him, picked up his bag and the 2 walked off..

The scumbag didnt look too happy, probably on the verge of crying and rather shaken, he got up and they all disappeared very quickly..

Now I think the guy may have went over the top but it certainly made that little scumbag think twice about his actions in future..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If more of that happened, there would be far less feral kids pissing people off.

There have always been scummy kids but these days they are far more brazen because they have been given lots of rights and no responsibilities. People should be able to go about their business without risking getting beaten up by a hormonally crazed gang of shaved chimps who took offense at being asked to quit being dicks.

Yeah, you don't tend to see that sort of behaviour in Eastern Europe, probably for at least three reasons:

1. They get snow regularly - it's not a novelty excuse to act the prick.
    2. In Russia at least, there are plenty of quite intoxicated people about at all hours of the day. Pelt the wrong one and God only knows how they might respond.
    3. There isn't a lot of tolerance shown to antisocial behaviour on the basis that deprivation is an excuse, because the whole society was deprived and in poverty in living memory bar the very small elites.

As someone said earlier, this crap wouldn't happen in Moscow or Kiev. And we might add, in Kracow, Minsk or Vilnius either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Kids being blamed for taking the Green Luas out today and last night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Kids being blamed for taking the Green Luas out today and last night.

How did they manage to do that? I know the red line Luas was delayed last night as idiots kept blocking the track by pulling into the yellow boxes in cars..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    How did they manage to do that?
    Snow bazookas obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

I was just attacked on the way home from work in Drumcondra yesterday. A group of about 20 kids (I say 'kids', but some of them were probably in their early - mid 20's) throwing snowballs at everyone crossing the road on lower Dorset St. This was like 3 in the afternoon and there were dozens of people being pelted including old women in their 80's who were having a hard enough time walking on the ice without being pelted with hard lumps of frozen water in their face.

I got hit in the side of the head with a ****ing big snowball and turned to walk towards the one who threw it, while his friends continue lobbing snowballs at my head. Half of them had scarves covering their faces. Then one of them jumped me from behind, and another one (who looked 25 if he was a day) came up on the other side and punched me hard in the side of my face, knocking me to the ground on the ice.

I managed to get up and walked up around the corner to ring the Gardai while they all stood there continuing to lob snowballs and shouting abuse. While I was on the phone there was a lot of people, mainly elderly, waiting around the corner where I was, too afraid to cross the road, because of these yobs.

Anyway, the garda said it would take 20 minutes to get a car there because of the weather, but I could come down to make a statement at the Garda Station. I've spent time in almost every European country, plus almost 3 years in Sao Paulo, Brazil and have never seen a place so filled with scumbags as Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

I feel your pain. If you ever get an opportunity to get one or two of these guys or types on their own then I implore you to really go for it. Kick them to within an inch of their lives. I've done ita few times and it is exhilirating. The thoughts of these mouthy little knackers holed up in bed with their confidence in tatters does me wonders.

Barry0 wrote: »
    I was just attacked on the way home from work in Drumcondra yesterday. A group of about 20 kids (I say 'kids', but some of them were probably in their early - mid 20's) throwing snowballs at everyone crossing the road on lower Dorset St. This was like 3 in the afternoon and there were dozens of people being pelted including old women in their 80's who were having a hard enough time walking on the ice without being pelted with hard lumps of frozen water in their face.

I got hit in the side of the head with a ****ing big snowball and turned to walk towards the one who threw it, while his friends continue lobbing snowballs at my head. Half of them had scarves covering their faces. Then one of them jumped me from behind, and another one (who looked 25 if he was a day) came up on the other side and punched me hard in the side of my face, knocking me to the ground on the ice.

I managed to get up and walked up around the corner to ring the Gardai while they all stood there continuing to lob snowballs and shouting abuse. While I was on the phone there was a lot of people, mainly elderly, waiting around the corner where I was, too afraid to cross the road, because of these yobs.

Anyway, the garda said it would take 20 minutes to get a car there because of the weather, but I could come down to make a statement at the Garda Station. I've spent time in almost every European country, plus almost 3 years in Sao Paulo, Brazil and have never seen a place so filled with scumbags as Dublin.

so he threw a snowball at ye then punched you when you turned around to him? what sort of fuckingscumbag does that?:eek::mad: although it is dorset st in fairness, it has its fair share of knackers

Scambuster wrote: »
    I feel your pain. If you ever get an opportunity to get one or two of these guys or types on their own then I implore you to really go for it. Kick them to within an inch of their lives. I've done ita few times and it is exhilirating. The thoughts of these mouthy little knackers holed up in bed with their confidence in tatters does me wonders.

the thing is though he wont, they never go anywhere except in huge groups

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

For all the bleeding hearts and people who are suggesting that anyone who has a problem should just 'get over it'

I was meeting a friend in town today near Dublin Castle. I had arranged to meet him at a certain location at a certain time. When I got there I was shocked and disgusted. He had a massive wound to the side of his head and was covered in blood. It turned out just as he arrived a gaggle of little scumbags started pelting anyone in sight with snowballs and various other objects.

The one that caught my friend in the side of the head contained a rather large rock that split the side of his head open. Roughly a 2-3 inch gash down the side of his forehead. He was fortunate that a couple of people got out of their cars when it happend and the scummy little cnuts ran away because he said to me they were in no hurry to stop once he had gone down.

So he has at least 1 nights observation in hospital, a massive head wound and a prominent scar on the side of his head to look forward to.

Ah but sure they are only kids. People should stop complaining. It's always been this way. Just ignore them sure it's no big deal.

A lot of people on here need to get a fcuking grip if they think that these little scumbags should be let do as they please. Little scumbags turn into big scumbags.

As for the 'ah sure it's only snowballs' rubbish people are talking. Sure it was 'only a snowball' that nailed my friend in the side of the head. Anyway, why does the fact that there is snow on the ground make it alright to throw stuff and verbally abuse at people you don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I'm living out in Ballymun (Gateway Student Villiage) and every single night since the snow has started there have been scumbags outside the gates waiting for single students to come out so that they can pelt them with stones, snowballs and the like. They also go for people crossing the very busy main ballymun road, and I captured this last night. The video is but a minute and a half long, but these two lovely girls were outside for about 20 minutes in total, pelting snowballs and stones at some poor felleh's window, shouting abuse (the same insults over and over again).

After the 20 minutes, they left for a few hours, then came back. I believe once they came back, a HUGE group of students (think 15-20) started pointing and laughing at them.

So far, I haven't been hit, despite being target several times. It seems TERRIBLE aim comes along with the Scumbag mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Barry0 wrote: »

Awful. And yet every few posts there's a hand wringing shoulder shrugging "they're teenagers, they've always been like this, get over it" type. No :mad: !!
    Missing the point of the OP completely. In fact I think it's worrying that so many people think it's acceptable that because you're a teenager it's normal to socially misbehave. It is not, to the extent that it happens that I have seen in Dubin.

The bus I take in the morning is run and ruled by teenagers. I see the fear in the adults faces and feel it in myself, I refuse to go upstairs on the bus for the noise and the fear of getting a smack in the head if I get caught in the middle of two 12 stone school "boys" battering each other. That's normal....what planet do you all live on?

Go ahead and say isn't it great that they don't get a smacking these days all you want but you're not comparing like with like to what the OP is on about, it's not about your common or garden kid misbehaving, it's about extreme anti social behaviour.Would you really feel like excusing it if it was your granny breaking her hip while being chased by some little f*ckers throwing freezing rocks at her?

I don't think anyone's being a bleeding heart here - but there seems to be an orgasmic thrill derived from typing that phrase. All that's being said is: if you're getting lip, ignore/make a smart comment back. If you're being physically attacked or you see someone else being physically attacked, defend yourself/them or call the guards. And in general, keep away from them/avoid passing them if you feel too intimidated.
    Just whingeing about it won't achieve anything, and hate-filled "sterilisation ftw" type rhetoric won't either. Why not have a think about what else (sensible) can be done? If there's parental failure here, peer pressure, a lack of amenities for youngsters, well these are not justifications, but they are explanations. What would you suggest to remedy these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

SwdDub wrote: »
    For all the bleeding hearts and people who are suggesting that anyone who has a problem should just 'get over it'

I was meeting a friend in town today near Dublin Castle. I had arranged to meet him at a certain location at a certain time. When I got there I was shocked and disgusted. He had a massive wound to the side of his head and was covered in blood. It turned out just as he arrived a gaggle of little scumbags started pelting anyone in sight with snowballs and various other objects.

The one that caught my friend in the side of the head contained a rather large rock that split the side of his head open. Roughly a 2-3 inch gash down the side of his forehead. He was fortunate that a couple of people got out of their cars when it happend and the scummy little cnuts ran away because he said to me they were in no hurry to stop once he had gone down.

So he has at least 1 nights observation in hospital, a massive head wound and a prominent scar on the side of his head to look forward to.

Ah but sure they are only kids. People should stop complaining. It's always been this way. Just ignore them sure it's no big deal.

A lot of people on here need to get a fcuking grip if they think that these little scumbags should be let do as they please. Little scumbags turn into big scumbags.

As for the 'ah sure it's only snowballs' rubbish people are talking. Sure it was 'only a snowball' that nailed my friend in the side of the head. Anyway, why does the fact that there is snow on the ground make it alright to throw stuff and verbally abuse at people you don't know?

Appalling stuff. Hope your friend makes a speedy recovery...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Good Christ that's awful. Hope your friend makes a speedy recovery.
    SwdDub wrote: »

• Advertisement

If there's parental failure here, peer pressure, a lack of amenities for youngsters, well these are not justifications, but they are explanations. What would you suggest to remedy these things?

Bring in abortion.

It's a slow-burner of a solution, but it will pay off in spades in about 10-20 years time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement