Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner-city kids.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

WindSock wrote: »
    Relative poverty/deprivation that is also coupled everything else mentioned ie parental guidance / community / lack of positive role models / abuse / neglect /and a plethora of other forms of societal ills are all contributing factors. My stance is that most of these happen to be more apparent in areas of higher poverty / deprivation.

These people AREN'T POOR. They have a plethora of options to better themselves, from free education to healthcare to work experience and training. During the Tiger years, we still had many on the dole. That's the permadole culture. Paying the highest benefits in Europe didn't change that. This phenomenon is clearly nothing to do with relative wealth, because in many, many places where people have substantially less, it doesn't happen nearly as much.
    I am not having difficulty understanding that. Don't know why you are asking. I was, as I have stated before pointing out about scumbaggery all over. People were saying its not as bad in other countries. I disagreed.

The sort of scumbaggery against the person that we experience is not a universal phenomenon, though. And it actually isn't as bad in most other countries I've visited, which is more than a few. I'd say Britain's about the same. Parts of the US worse. Moscow, for sure. Beyond that?
    Yet you don't think having money to access basic resources is as important?

They already have that, yet the problem occurs. I can only repeat - it's not about money, or feeling deprived. It's about a breakdown of parental guidance, and a lack of any other system in place (such as community guidance) that would educate these children as they grow up to behave properly.
    As a part of a solution, but the final part of a solution. Not just going out and threatening Margarets benefits because her Johnny threw a snowball at a car.

Actually, as the first part. Johnny throws a snowball at a car, Margaret loses a fiver a week. Johnny won't be throwing stones or robbing cars in future if Margaret can help it.
    It should be threatened after other forms of interventions to help instil respect for their communities and self development have failed. Even then, perhaps reducing the welfare cuts to just stamps for food and other basic necessities would suffice.

It's not a sufficient deterrent. We need a deterrent that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Personally I think a certain % of people are just born as scum, right across society, rich and poor. They hold the rest of us to ransom. No amount of money, amenities or anything will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look it's not to do with money either.
    I grew up in Finglas, my family was on welfare due to my Dad's disability cause by work injuries and I never attacked people they way scumbags do.

Also there are kids who have working professional parents, go to good schools, live in good areas but still are scumbags due to who they hang out with and what they think is how to carry on, they have money for drink and drugs and cos the parents give them what ever they want out of guilt and the parent's don't know what is going on in thier kids lives.

Pretty much the same crap which has happened with gangs and gang culture in other countries is starting to happen here as teens find 'family' outside of the home and there is no moral compass and no input or interaction with adults or caring or consideration for people who are not part of the gang and they will do what ever it takes to be accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

you're grasping at straws now, D...
    I suggested one of the reasons for this problem could be a lack of amenities, not that that's a justification; I didn't say "God love them, they've no amenities". I don't understand how it's so difficult to grasp the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Dudess wrote: »
    I suggested one of the reasons for this problem could be a lack of amenities, not that that's a justification; I didn't say "God love them, they've no amenities". I don't understand how it's so difficult to grasp the difference.

In fairness, amenities always go into the 'deprived' areas because the affluent ones have private amenities that parents pay for their kids to use.
    Ballyfermot was given as an example earlier. The place is coming down with things for kids to do. But too many would rather drink on street corners and cause trouble.
    It's not for a lack of things to do that they go feral. I might buy that if it was Roscommon or Leitrim we were talking about. Those places cry out for amenities and get none. As a result, look at the youth suicide rate for rural counties.
    But the urban feral urchin phenomenon is a product of these kids having no role models other than the slightly older, slightly more feral kids. The parents are incompetent and the community is disparate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lack of amenities me hole. You dont suddenly smash windows because you dont have a football pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Of course - I was only speculating that it might be one of a myriad of reasons, part of a much bigger tapestry; not stating it's the reason.

Quentinkrisp, no need to bother - I'm not even reading your links...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Lack of amenities me hole. You dont suddenly smash windows because you dont have a football pitch.

Yes you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Obaraten wrote: »
    The little ****s wouldn't last a day on the streets of Kiev or Moscow thats for sure

yeah, over there the cops would bait seven shades out of them, but here they dare not draw their baton. maybe we need another Lugs Brannigan

stovelid wrote: »
    I had to threaten a bunch of young lads last night because they were pelting me with snowballs and I was afraid of going on my arse in front of everybody because I was wearing work shoes. :o

That said, I don't think society will end or that they're bad lads - just kids messing about.

most people would laugh it off if they got pelted with snowballs.

Anyway, the garda said it would take 20 minutes to get a car there because of the weather, but I could come down to make a statement at the Garda Station. I've spent time in almost every European country, plus almost 3 years in Sao Paulo, Brazil and have never seen a place so filled with scumbags as Dublin.[/QUOTE]

wow, Dublin is worse than the slums of Sao Paulo?

Jay D wrote: »
    Yes you do.

no, you do it because there are no consequences and no adult around you says that it is wrong.two months ago I was on sean mcdermott street and the local urchins smashed a car window and set it alight. adults came out and watched and even filmed it, but said nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Poor parenting is the bottom line, be it knacks from Blackrock College who kick a man to death or knacks from Liberty House who kick a man to death. The difference is one group knows how to talk/pay their way out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

spurious wrote: »
    Poor parenting is the bottom line, be it knacks from Blackrock College who kick a man to death or knacks from Liberty House who kick a man to death. The difference is one group knows how to talk/pay their way out of it.
    The former happens once every ten years whilst the latter happens every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And its goodnight from me;)

From your posts, you need to utilize one or more of the following tactics for the remainder of the cold snap:

Hire a bodyguard who can take on 13-year old kids

Man up

Burst into tears and offer the kids money for safe passage on a quid pro quo basis

Man up

Stay indoors

Man up

Fuinseog wrote: »
    no, you do it because there are no consequences and no adult around you says that it is wrong.two months ago I was on sean mcdermott street and the local urchins smashed a car window and set it alight. adults came out and watched and even filmed it, but said nothing.

Oh really? So are you trying to say that if you had a lack of amenities you wouldn't feel the urge to smash windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Namlub wrote: »
    You should probably go and have a lie down now...

He's gone for one week!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Man up? are you serious.

Once you turn and take a swing at on of them the lot will descend on you like a pack of jackals and once you do they will all be witnesses against you when charges are pressed for you attacking a minor.
    And then with the joy of smart phones they can and will record it to show their mates or to use against you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Quentinkrisp is BANNED for one week.

Apologises to those he insulted for me not getting to this sooner.

Jay D wrote: »
    Oh really? So are you trying to say that if you had a lack of amenities you wouldn't feel the urge to smash windows?

i grew up on an estate with no amenities. we played football on the street, occasionally a window was broken. you knocked on the door and apologised. if you scapered they knew where to find you. you stepped out of line and you got a hiding. its not a class thing. its a parent thing. rich kids have poor parents just as much as lower class kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Man up? are you serious.

Once you turn and take a swing at on of them the lot will descend on you like a pack of jackals and once you do they will all be witnesses against you when charges are pressed for you attacking a minor.

Some líttle pikey prick and his mates started throwing balls of ice at me near pearse street the other day and started mouthing off when i told them to fúck off and then started following me...they couldn't have been older than 14. I eventually got sick of their shíte and waited till one of them came close to me and gave him a good smack in the side of the face and knocked him to the ground. And surprise surprise, all his mates just stood there mouthing off in their horrible screechy accents doing nothing while the kid scurried back to the group.

Apart from a few more screeches of abuse, I strolled off on my way with no bother. I normally wouldn't take satisfaction in punching anyone - especially a 14 year old, but I was absolute chuffed I hit that prick to be honest.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Man up? are you serious.

Not talking about whacking them, Thaed. I'm talking about weeping on here at length about it.

Fair enough if people get really attacked but since the cold spell, parts of this site read like an agony column.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i grew up on an estate with no amenities. we played football on the street, occasionally a window was broken. you knocked on the door and apologised. if you scapered they knew where to find you. you stepped out of line and you got a hiding. its not a class thing. its a parent thing. rich kids have poor parents just as much as lower class kids.

wow, sounds like a magical era. I don't know what I would have done had it not been for windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I am surpised there is still council housing in the city after the property boom, you would think they would have been turned into apartments and the inhabitants shipped off to a suburb.

Either way, commenting on how Dublin city kids would survive in places like Johannesburg or Moscow is a bit m00t. At least they aren't holding people up at gunpoint.

This is what I was going to post. It's always surprised me that there is entire blocks of land on the RHS of Aungier St taken up with council flats housing scumbag families and their feral inbred-looking kids (I'm guessing this is the area the OP is talking about?). Surely this land is prime retail real estate? :confused:

bonerm wrote: »
    This is what I was going to post. It's always surprised me that there is entire blocks of land on the RHS of Aungier St taken up with council flats housing scumbag families and their feral inbred-looking kids (I'm guessing this is the area the OP is talking about?). Surely this land is prime retail real estate? :confused:

I know people that are from around there.

Do you think they're scumbags with inbred looking children?

Easy to say stuff like that from behind a keyboard obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

stovelid wrote: »
    I know people that live around there.

Do you think they're scumbags with feral looking inbred looking children?

Easy to say stuff like that from behind a keyboard obviously.

I say it to their face too if it makes you feel any better. I have regular run-ins with them too as I'm trying to do nothing more than make my way home from work. Obviously your friends the exception I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

I say it to their face too if it makes you feel any better. I have regular run-ins with them too as I'm trying to do nothing more than make my way home from work. Obviously your friends the exception I'm sure.

They really should be turfed out. An area like that could really help the city centre. You could have 10,000 extra people living in the city centre who actually work there and not have people commuting in. MOve the locals out who live in the city centre but don't actually work there. They would be no loss out in Finglas north somewhere.

• Advertisement

I say it to their face too if it makes you feel any better.

No you wouldn't.
    I have regular run-ins with them too as I'm trying to do nothing more than make my way home from work. .

Some of the stuff said in threads like this is plain wrong and hurtful. Nobody is saying that you don't actually get feral kids that need a kick in the bollix - and worse parents - God knows you do but some of the stuff here and on Boards about forcible abortions and inbred communities beggars belief. If it was aimed at a racial group, people would be banned out of hand.

And I'm not saying that some of the scuts don't go too far with snowballs because they do. That said, I'm not the sort to openly boast online about beating up children either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement