Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Shops?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hey all!
    I'll be in eyre square and around a few other places tomorrow and i just wanted to know if there are any good camera shops around shop street?
    thanks
    Only one i know of is galway camera shop lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

There is one at the other end of shop street to the Galway Camera Shop where Deeleys used to be, its beside the market past Easons, I think its fujifilm and they seem to sell cameras, not sure if its any good though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There are no good camera shops in Galway, if all you're after is a point and shoot though you're sorted with boots and the two camera places near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Fahy Foto beside Griffins bakery on Shop Street

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

EVERY camera shop in galway is a rip off. If you are intending on buying a camera go online. you'll save €€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Thanks all! :)
    I love some of the comments lmfao, i have noticed the MASSIVE price difference but i'm after a Nikon Coolpix s8000 and it was something like 199 last time i went in to galway camera shop thing and it was the same on pixmania.ie......pixmanias got it for less now so im hoping they do as well :D
    Hope so cos i want to buy a few big memory cards with it!
    I'd buy online but i have no patience at all and i'd die waiting the 3-4 days :P
    i need it there and then lol

• Advertisement

Ended up sprinting from Fahy Foto and running away from the scruffy rude bloke in Galway Cameras
    Ended up with a Fujifilm Finepix F80 from the Fujifilm shop, the guys in there were sound out and let me have a look at it, take some photos and video and it was brill :)
    thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mactard wrote: »
    There are no good camera shops in Galway, if all you're after is a point and shoot though you're sorted with boots and the two camera places near it.

No good camera shops in pretty much all of Ireland. Gunns in dublin is the only decent one I can think of - the rest are complete shít

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

IS it me or are the guys in the galway camera shop completely rude, they act like its such a hassle when u go in and ask them anything. Esp the older guy maybe the owner,

goods wrote: »
    IS it me or are the guys in the galway camera shop completely rude, they act like its such a hassle when u go in and ask them anything. Esp the older guy maybe the owner,

wow thanks for noticing!! Everyone thinks im daft lol but yeah, hes a total dick to me whenever i go in. Yes he showed me the camera but couldn't tel me why it was a good deal cept for it came with a free case worth 30quid and a 2gb memory card :rolleyes:
    Fujifilm , yourman in there is sound out.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Must say I have never really had a problem in there apart from the outrageous prices and lack of decent stock. Guys have always been quite courteous and answered my questions. Have been going there for many years now and has seemed to be a high turnover of staff though as can't remember speaking to the same person more than once (except the old fella).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I always found them lovely in there too and recently they pointed me in the direction of the Fuji place when they couldn't see me right. They've a loyal following in fairness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Must say I have never really had a problem in there apart from the outrageous prices and lack of decent stock. Guys have always been quite courteous and answered my questions.

That's the same treatment I've always had in there, and they've always given me decent deals. As for the stock and prices, it's on a par with similar shops in Germany and Poland. (Comparing prices for Nikon equipment).
    I have been going there for many years now and has seemed to be a high turnover of staff though as can't remember speaking to the same person more than once (except the old fella).

It's been the same 4 people working in there for as long as I can remember.

The Fuji shop is great for albums and printing (their printed albums look great), but their selection of cameras wasn't great, IMO. I haven't been in in a while, so maybe this has improved.

For SD cards, watch Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Fey! wrote: »
    It's been the same 4 people working in there for as long as I can remember.

Genuinely suprised by that, but more than prepared to take your word for it. Maybe I just get a different one of the four each time I go in (very very possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

i had the same problem with those guys,i asked one of the lads if i could see how their lumix worked compared to a cybershot. i was ready to buy off them for my gf but i was told 'theirs the basic specs'and thats what it looks like,it should be good enough.needless to say i bought else where saving myself over 100€ in another shop

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Guys, just wondering if any of yous could give me some advice. I have a Nikon D40 and want to sell it, and get a better camera.

Any websites/shops etc? I could go to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

xo.mary wrote: »
    Guys, just wondering if any of yous could give me some advice. I have a Nikon D40 and want to sell it, and get a better camera.

Any websites/shops etc? I could go to Dublin.

Thats a cool camera, I doubt you will have trouble selling it on here/adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was pricing a Nikon DSLR recently and checked online (Irish retailers) and bricks and mortar shops, as its for work I needed several quotes. Dropped into Galway Camera Shop and wasn't expecting them to be too competitive, but lo and behold they were a good bit cheaper than any of the Dublin shops, either shops price or online. True their attitude can be a bit less than "customer-friendly" at times, but I'd rather take a good price and support local business, and if something goes wrong with the camera its a lot easier to deal with a local shop than a faceless internet supplier.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

^^^ That's amazing! I am quite shocked that "the camera shop" were cheaper than anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

This has developed into quite an interesting thread.

Nice! One good thing came of them haha
    and yep all my thread are ;)
    not :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement