Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology (ordinary level) question

• 01-12-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hey guys, trying to find the answer to this question:

Suggest one reason why enzymes are not found in body soap or shampoo.

This was question 15 (c) 2010 exam.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Enzymes are organic catalysts?

I'm not sure if this is correct though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Why would enzymes need to be in body soap/shampoo in the first place? Wouldn't the ingredients in the products work fine without them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I just wrote

Enzymes are organic catalysts and are made in living cells.

Soap and shampoo is a detergent and not living.

I will know tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rascalini

I think this may be related to biological detergents: basically some clothes washing detergents have enzymes added (these are called biological detergents, those without are called Non-biological or non-bio)...

anyway, these enzymes are added in order to aid the break down of 'dirt' on clothes which would include include components like protein, fat and starch (carbohydrates) etc..

The reason soap wouldn't have these is because adding these enzymes to our hair or skin would break down these components, which we need to help keep us healthy! Furthermore it can lead to skin irritation which some people experience from wearing clothes washed in biological detergents!

This is just my tuppence worth!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Enzymes work over a particular temperature range, maybe they wouldn't work in shower detergents because the temperature of water showers varies? Just a thought. it's a weird question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement