Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor sly one with new users

Options
  • 01-12-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Now I know this isnt a biggie from a cash point of view but really irritating none the less

I Recently signed up with Meteor on billpay.

I submitted application on 4th of November - chased them up a week later after hearing nothing.

Meteor started billing me on the 11th of November and eventually got a phone from them delivered on the 22nd of November and ported my number the same day.

When I spoke with Meteor they say that it is policy to bill from the date the contract is signed and not the day they deliver the phone and port your number. Therefore the slower they are at setting up your account the more money they make off you. I got stonewalled by the CSR who told me that there was no supervisor available and that I really I shouldnt be arguing this one and there was no way a credit would be issued to my account.

Now I know Im being a bit whingey here and its only a couple of quid but Im sure it works out at a pretty penny for meteor if they do this will all new customer.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

clevtrev wrote: »
    Now I know this isnt a biggie from a cash point of view but really irritating none the less

I Recently signed up with Meteor on billpay.

I submitted application on 4th of November - chased them up a week later after hearing nothing.

Meteor started billing me on the 11th of November and eventually got a phone from them delivered on the 22nd of November and ported my number the same day.

When I spoke with Meteor they say that it is policy to bill from the date the contract is signed and not the day they deliver the phone and port your number. Therefore the slower they are at setting up your account the more money they make off you. I got stonewalled by the CSR who told me that there was no supervisor available and that I really I shouldnt be arguing this one and there was no way a credit would be issued to my account.

Now I know Im being a bit whingey here and its only a couple of quid but Im sure it works out at a pretty penny for meteor if they do this will all new customer.

I'd take this to ComReg. Meteor seem to get very devious with their systems. Years ago, while doing my end of year books, I checked all the meteor invoices and found that they deducted ONE cent extra every month. This was quite deliberate, and I reckoned if it was worth enough for them to do it, it was worth enough for me to demand a credit to the account.....At the time Meteor were claiming 1 million customers, so obviously worth it to them if they don't get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If they hadn't ported your number then your account wasn't active, and if the account wasn't active then they shouldn't be charging you.

Put your complaint in writing and follow it up with Comreg. To be honest, you should cancel everything now, and not pay them a penny. You shouldn't reward this kind of deception, otherwise they'll never change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Porting should take 24-48 hours, shipping a phone another 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

jor el wrote: »
    If they hadn't ported your number then your account wasn't active, and if the account wasn't active then they shouldn't be charging you.

Put your complaint in writing and follow it up with Comreg. To be honest, you should cancel everything now, and not pay them a penny. You shouldn't reward this kind of deception, otherwise they'll never change.

Thanks for the advice - even though its only a few quid I will pen a complaint and do it for the greater good of the phone using public!! I'll let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

whiterebel wrote: »
    I'd take this to ComReg. Meteor seem to get very devious with their systems. Years ago, while doing my end of year books, I checked all the meteor invoices and found that they deducted ONE cent extra every month. This was quite deliberate, and I reckoned if it was worth enough for them to do it, it was worth enough for me to demand a credit to the account.....At the time Meteor were claiming 1 million customers, so obviously worth it to them if they don't get caught.

That sounds like a bit of salami slicing going on there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Formosa wrote: »
    That sounds like a bit of salami slicing going on there...

You'll have to explain that one to me.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Quitely taking a few cent off everyone to make extra money (especially if its an employee lining his own pockets).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I can't really seeing, how Meteor would be earning extra money off you by porting you over slowly. They would get more money off you if they would port you faster, they would make extra money off you on calls (unless off course your porting takes more than 1 month).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

i remember a film years ago where 3 nerdy bank employee's wondered where all the fractions of a cent from interest went, so they wrote some system to put it into an account thinking it woukld be a few grand and it turned out to be hundreds of millions.

thats how meteor pay for their xmas party lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

bungler wrote: »
    i remember a film years ago where 3 nerdy bank employee's wondered where all the fractions of a cent from interest went, so they wrote some system to put it into an account thinking it woukld be a few grand and it turned out to be hundreds of millions.

thats how meteor pay for their xmas party lol

It was in superman too :) The employee took the fractions of cents from peoples wages..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

Meteor are a joke, I bought broadband of them, brought it home, the antenna they gave me didnt work, I brought it back and said I didnt want it anymore as it didnt work and said I wanted to cancel my sub, that was four months ago, they billed my three times for a service I never used and I am still tryin to tell them I never used the service four months on, they are headwrecking to deal with as well as they get nothing done when they say its done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Years ago, while doing my end of year books, I checked all the meteor invoices and found that they deducted ONE cent extra every month. This was quite deliberate, and I reckoned if it was worth enough for them to do it, it was worth enough for me to demand a credit to the account.....At the time Meteor were claiming 1 million customers, so obviously worth it to them if they don't get caught.

Really? 1 cent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

GrumPy wrote: »
    Really? 1 cent?

Too right. One cent from a million customers amounts to a large sum.

At 1 c per month per bill customer (usually 40% of subscribers)

1c x 12x 400,000 =€48,000..... you'd get more than 1 drink each and a cocktail sausage per staff member!

GrumPy wrote: »
    Really? 1 cent?

Absolutely. Every month. I had to reconcile invoices with statements and noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    At 1 c per month per bill customer (usually 40% of subscribers)

1c x 12x 400,000 =€48,000..... you'd get more than 1 drink each and a cocktail sausage per staff member!

Would that not be €480,000?

nope 0.12 x 400,000 = 48,000

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Advertisement