Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Wall Insulation

Options
  • 01-12-2010 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all.

I've been readin through a few threads but my head is still spinning a bit:

Cold Wall Causing Internal dampness moisture on wall :

We moved into a semi-d build in the 70's from the type of block that you cant insulate (?).

The bedroom wall to the rear of the house, which gets little sun, is the coldest room in the house and dampness has been appearing around the wall, and especially in places where there is little air circulation eg: curtains etc. But it it seems to be surface only.

I have had architects/builders to look at the problem, but the consensus is that its the coldest wall on the first floor, and is attracting moisture to it.

This side of the house also has large doubled glazed windows etc.

What is my best plan? Im aware of health issues, but I dont think we would be able to insulate the exterior wall. But I dont want to have a quick fix, which merely hides the problem?

What do you think my options are:

Dry lining? Insulation boards? Room Dehumidifier? Air bricks? external wall insulation?

any advice appreciated....

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

You need to do two things.
    1. Reduce the moisture in the air by better ventilation, removal of steam at source, not drying clothes on radiators etc.
    2. increase the temperature of your external walls, which means external wall insulation if the walls are hollow block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Hi Mick,

Are those the only 2 options, courses of action, either short or long term? EWI being the long term ?

Is dry lining, insulating slabs a worthless excercise? Would moisture still be attracted to the wall beneath dry lining?

Would EWI also need the permission of the semi-d neighbours?

Are there any short term remedies? De-humidifier etc?

many thanks

MicktheMan wrote: »
    You need to do two things.
    1. Reduce the moisture in the air by better ventilation, removal of steam at source, not drying clothes on radiators etc.
    2. increase the temperature of your external walls, which means external wall insulation if the walls are hollow block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MJ666

You right. Internal insulation will not fix the problem - it will just cover it. You do not need a consent for external insulation from your neighbor (and consequently a planning permission) as long as you'll keep the same look. I would encourage you to consider external wall insulation as in my opinion this is the best type of insulation and the only permanent solution for your problem. It not only insulates the external wall but also covers it with a waterproof render. Wall stays behind a 'shelter' and more importantly unlike internal insulation is still heated which will eventually make it to dryout. You may say that you will have to unnecessarily heat the external walls causing delay in heating system respond. That's true. But on the other hand walls will accumulate the heat, giving it back slowly just like a storage heater, preventing internal temperature fluctuations and increasing your comfort. And finally, you can avail of €4000 euro grant from SEAI for external wall insulation. Take a look at SEAI FAQ section, it will answer a lot of your questions: http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/HES_FAQ/Homeowner%20FAQ/
    Regards

Advertisement