Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karen Hamill Fundraising Appeal

Options
  • 01-12-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

This is not a scam and is legitimate appeal. Karen from Dublin travelled Australia and New Zealand in the last two years. On her way home for Christmas she was struct down with a very serious illness in Vietnam. Please read below and support her if you can. Thank you.

Raymond Keane, Auckland.

From Facebook Fundrasing Appeal Site:

http://www.facebook.com/FundraiserForKaren

Hi All,
    Karen Hamill is dangerously ill in hospital in Vietnam. Karen was on her way home from New Zealand when she was struck down with an illness (encephalitis - a virus attacking the brain) that has left her in ICU. Even worse, the French Hospital where she will need to spend a considerable time is costing approximately €2000 a day!!

For anyone that knows Karen, she is the life and soul of the party as well as being a great friend and we want to support her in any possible way in her long road to recovery. All her family and friends are working together to try and raise as much money as possible to help.

We are all anxious to do what we can to relieve this devastating situation and help Karen on her road to recovery and are calling for everyone who knows Karen to rally round to help if they can. The Karen Hamill Fund Appeal has been set up and we would very much appreciate any help you can give. The plea is urgent and every penny counts.

Thanks so much for your support

Karen's Family and friends.

https://sites.google.com/site/karenhamillappeal/Home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

locking thread so we can check this out

Thread opened after an edit, please no email addresses or paypal requests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

Hi everyone. This is 100% real. I worked with Karen a few years ago and cant believe how sick she is. Am saying a prayer she will be ok
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AliDesign1982

Hi all,

Unfortunately this is real. Karen is a very close friend of mine. We have been friends since we were 7 years old. It is an awful situation. It's difficult enough to worry that your friend struggling for her life without the added worry of her medical treatment being stopped due to money! Myself along with some of her other close home and college friends have set up a facebook page for her:

http://www.facebook.com/FundraiserForKaren

And her family have set up an official website for her:

https://sites.google.com/site/karenhamillappeal/Home

Please do what you can. We understand it is a difficult time of the year for people to give but every penny counts.

Thank You.

Alessia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just adding my support for this. Karen is a cousin (second cousin to be precise). While I don't know her well I do know her father very well. This is a genuine cause - not a scam. The family just cannot afford to continue these costs - hence the fundraising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

This is NOT a scam. I went to school with her cousin and his wife. Please try to help in any way you can.

Her cousin's mother and Karen's brother will be on TV3 at 11.am tomorrow(Friday 10th) to discuss this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Why was the insurance claim turned down - very odd??

Why was the insurance claim turned down - very odd??

The Vietnamese authorities found a loophole in her health insurance which meant that they don't have to pay a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thats good to hear! I'd say the worst thing in the world is struggling to pay for your sick kid, whos stuck in a hospital in a far off place! Delighted they got the insurance!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Thats good to hear! I'd say the worst thing in the world is struggling to pay for your sick kid, whos stuck in a hospital in a far off place! Delighted they got the insurance!

They don't have the insurance.......?? Where did you read that from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The Vietnamese authorities found a loophole in her health insurance which meant that they don't have to pay a penny.

It's nothing to do with the vietnamese authorities. Her travel insurance company found a clause to get out of paying for her expenses. The family fought the decision but lost. Personally I think they should name and shame the bastards.

Her costs are still running at about 1700/day and her air ambulance home when she's fit to travel will cost about €103,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Just heard her family on the Ray D'Arcy show, what a horror story. Will definitely be contributing to the appeal. I am supposed to be booking travel insurance this week for a year-long trip and the thought of what happened to Karen is making my blood run cold. Her family said they're going to name the insurers if they get confirmation that they won't get in any legal trouble for naming the company. I definitely want to know who they are and why they refused to pay up. It's disgraceful. Get home and well soon Karen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Wait, so they didnt find a loophole to get the insurance???? Crazy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Wait, so they didnt find a loophole to get the insurance???? Crazy!!!
    Delighted they got the insurance!

Listen Buddy, this is your second stupid comment in this thread, im suggesting to you that this might be the wrong thread to go Trolling on, so do yourself a favour and twaddle off to After Hours...

The Aussie wrote: »
    Listen Buddy, this is your second stupid comment in this thread, im suggesting to you that this might be the wrong thread to go Trolling on, so do yourself a favour and twaddle off to After Hours...

Please no back seat modding, if you have a problem report it.
    The user is not trolling.

Now back to thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Really is a sad situation, was at a music quiz fundraiser for this last week in my local which was good craic and raised a few quid in the process.

As I am making the oz trip soon and will need insurance, I would love to know who this insurance company is, as I will not be giving them my business. Insurance companies and loopholes would make you sick.

As I said earlier in the thread, I went to school with her cousin and his wife, and I would love to try to organise something to help out!?

Any ideas/suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Macros42 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the vietnamese authorities. Her travel insurance company found a clause to get out of paying for her expenses. The family fought the decision but lost. Personally I think they should name and shame the bastards.

Her costs are still running at about 1700/day and her air ambulance home when she's fit to travel will cost about €103,000.

would it be possible to provide some detail on the loophole to make other travellers aware so that they dont end up in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

would it be possible to provide some detail on the loophole to make other travellers aware so that they dont end up in a similar situation?

very good post tom. as I will be heading off soon i would very much like to hear this loophole they got out of paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Had a good long hard look through the small print of my travel insurance contract before I paid up and it seems there are loopholes everywhere in these blasted things to be honest. For example my insurers have refused to cover me for more than 365 days but I initially presumed I could just book a new policy to start when the first one expired.
    However in order to buy a new VALID policy I have to be living in Ireland at the time I book it and my trip has to start from here. And if I want to book a foreign policy with the majority of providers I have to have been living in the country where the policy originates for the six months immediately preceding this. I thought I had heard (but not 100 per cent sure on this) that Karen was travelling for more than a year so I wonder did something like this happen? Hope she's doing well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement