Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress or Joomla (or other?)

Options
  • 01-12-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I'm beginning a new website called http://www.telly.ie/. At the moment its just a simple online TV site (more of a widget than a site). However I want to develop it into a proper site with articles , and seperate sections for entertainment, cinema, music, sport, politics, etc.

I'm too lazy to code the site from scratch, and I have some experience using wordpress (on another site) and it's easy enough to set up although technically its a blogging tool.

I've never tried Joomla. Is this more of an e-commerce thing or is it suitable for article-based sites? If theres any other free software out there that's better than these two I'd be delighted to hear about it.

nodgie:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Have you looked into Drupal?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I guess you would say Joomla is technically a "Content Management System" - tough there are eCommerce plugins available this are not it's core. I will allow users to login and edit in place articles (assuming permission etc are defined).

I would echo James G and suggest also looking at Drupal.

Drupal tends to be more attractive to the more technically minded and joomla the more user orientated. Both have demo sites on line so have a look and check them out.

The are both php (with mysql backends) based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'd never code a site from scratch!! Why would you need to really, especially for something like this?? For something like you said Joomla sounds perfect!!! It's simple to use and there are plenty of forums and , there are 1000's of front end templates that you can change yourself. Joomla all the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Joomla, Drupal, WordPress and many other systems can do what you want.

When evaluating, the two important factors I'd suggest you weigh up are:

1) How familiar are you with the various options
    2) How extensible are the various options

On the latter point, WordPress is usually the clear winner in any discussion of extensibilty due to sheer volume of plugins and developers.

On the former, I think your previous experience with WordPress seals it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ellfish

Joomla is definitely very suitable for a site of articles like you're looking for...I'd recommend it - easy to use and a good CMS. I have no experience of using Drupal but as some earlier poster has said its more technically challenging. Why should you take the harder option - Joomla has plenty of templates available, its free etc. There are also lots of widgets you can get for it for a media site that you want... Joomla all the way!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I can also recommend Joomla for sites with lots of articles. I have developed a few 100+ pages sites such as this and joomla is easy to update and edit
    However I have never used Drupal or wordpress so can't comment on them

Advertisement