Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Game(s) You Attended

• 01-12-2010 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

What was the most entertaining or most high profile match that you've been to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Couple of games, neither hight profile.

Chelsea winning the Full Members Cup final against Man City, my first final of any kind (obviously the ultimate in Mickey Mouse tournament but Chelsea were sh*t in those days!). Absolutely fantastic game. Chelsea nearly managed to throw it away, 5 - 1 up, City pulled it back to 5 -4.

Two teams with "proper" supporters (in those days at least)

The other game in the mid nineties was Northampton Town away to Exeter City midweek.

Neil Grayson the Cobblers striker had taken abuse for the whole game and did what any good striker does, scored with seconds left to win the game 2 - 1. Went to 44 games that season and there were about 50 other away fans there. So for the great ending to the game and the sense of achievment (not sure traveling a long way is an achievement but it sort of is to me!) of being there made it one of my best games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I don't know if it counts for either the most entertaining or for the most high profile but Liverpool v Chelsea, CL semi final April 2008 @ Anfield is my favourite one.

The atmosphere was incredible that night on the Kop right up until the moment when Riise scored THAT own goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What was the most entertaining or most high profile match that you've been to?

And what was yours pray tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich 4 - 4 Middlesbrough.

Losing 4-1 with 10 mins to go and Dean Ashton scores in the 80th minute. Middlesbrough fans cheer the goal sarcastically yet Norwich fans still optimistic that we might get something from the game. Giving up hope, some Norwich fans begin to leave the stadium to chants of "loyal supporters" from home and away fans. Then Leon McKenzie scores in the 90th minute. We reckon that was it but in the third minute of injury time our left full Adam Drury pops up to score the equaliser. The whole crowd went nuts and the Middlesbrough fans trudge off with their tails between their legs. I'll never forget that reaction at the final whistle.

Also any time we beat Ipswich is memorable including Grant Holts hat trick on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Man utd 3 liverpool 0. March 2008. Mascherano sent off. Atmosphere was unbelievable. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭baldshin

Galway United v Sligo in the FAI cup in the showgrounds about 7/8 years back, followed closely by Manchester derby Carling Cup 2nd leg last year, atmosphere was phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

High profile - probably United v City for the 50th anniversary of Munich.
    Most entertaining - UD Lanarote v CD Toledo. Free in for me and a class match.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

High Profile: Benfica v Sporting Lisbon

My favourite game was our (Shels) 3-1 away win against Dundalk in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Istanbull had to be the best, Chelsea 05 and 07 were incredible atmospheres, Cardiff 06 was a great weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Everton 3 Liverpool 0. Derby match 3/4 years ago. Hard to beat that :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Derry V Shels in the Brandywell in i think the 00-01 season with 3 games left. We were chasing the title but Derry went 3-0 up after 15 minutes. The season was dead and buried until Stephen Geoghegan got a goal back just before half time. We hammered Derry in the 2nd half and got 2 late goals for the draw. Everyone that traveled up went mental when we scored the 3rd goal. We blew that league on the last day but the match still brings back fond memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shels 6-4 Bohs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

2005 FA Cup Final was the most high profile......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

in terms of occasion, has to be united v barcelona in 2008 semi final, 1-0 at old trafford. incredible that night, i was also at the final in moscow, obviously another huge occasion, but at home, 70,000+ united fans was really special.

in terms of quality, at home, the ireland v italy game in about 2005 was top quality football i though, 2-1 to italy, for united, the 3-2 v villa when macheda scored in 93rd minute will take beating for quality, excitement

if i was asked to pick one, would go for united v barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Man Utd Vs Man City last yr, Micky Owen with the goal in 'Fergie' time. Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Leeds V Bristol Rovers, 1 nil down and down to 10 men, we needed to win to guarantee promotion, Howson comes on and scores a beauty and then Beckford wins us the game. Unbelievable atmosphere and pitch invasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu7GvZamcbs&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

High Profile France v Ireland in Paris

Best atmosphere United V Watford in FA Cup semi Final in 07

Best Game Man United V Villa 3-2 in April 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Travelled over with my footie team and the old man, stayed in liverpool and went to OT..
    1stmanutdgame.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

-Chelsea vs. Liverpool, 4th October 2009. The atmosphere was amazing at this game; it never stopped, from either sets of supporters.

-Chelsea vs. Wigan, 8th May 2010. I cried. Seriously. I was in tears by the end of it. I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest. I'll never forget that day, and I can only be so, so thankful that I was there for it!

-Liverpool vs. Chelsea, 08/09 Season (can't remember exact date!!) ... Desperately unhappy game (Torres doing the damage once again that time too), going down 2-0. The team still ravaged and in tatters thanks to management upheavals. But say what you like... Anfield is just incredible for the atmosphere.

-West Ham vs. Chelsea, 20th December, 2009. First time I ever went to Upton Park... Incredible, hostile, adrenalising (is that a word?!?) and while ultimately the final score wasn't the ideal one (1-1), I got to see Lamps score a hattrick of penalties (kinda) and got to experience the East End of London (scary)

-Ireland vs. France. No, not the infamous one, but the first leg in Croker. The first 'big' Irish game I was at (where Ireland were playing someone actually big a lá France) and the first time in a while I wasn't cheering a Nic Anelka goal...:(

-Doncaster Rovers vs. Bristol Rovers, April 2007. An absolute cracker in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final. Local man Paul Heffernan was playing for Donny and scored in a game that finished 3-2 to Doncaster. Delighted. First time in the Millenium Stadium.

(dis)Honourable mentions:

-Ireland vs. Montenegro: 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back. Fukken frozen in the Hogan Stand. Was consoling myelf before the game that the Montenegrin Messi, Stevan Jovetic, would be playing and at least I'd get to see him play........... only to remember as the team list was being read out that he was suspended for the game. The dullest game I've ever seen Ireland play, and that's saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

^Respect for attending that ireland game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Grenta V Derry what a game.

Also the Derry V St Pats cup final were Derry only took the lead in extra time to win 4-3

Biggest English game I have been to was Liverpool V Spurs and Harry Kewell scored the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Man Utd vs Barcelona - Scholesy magic view from high in the stand behind the goal. One of those occassions when nobody really sat down for long. All I can remember is the whole stadium singing 'Viva Ronaldo' and swinging the scarf. Every broken down Barca attack or United tackle was cheered as loud as a goal. Can't really do the atmosphere justice with words.

Man Utd vs City - When Tevez scored a cracking effort off the post.

United vs Fiorentina - When Batistuta scored a screamer from about 25 yards out and we came back to win 3-1. First European game was at and something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Best European:Reds 2 Hajduk 0.

Best domestic:Reds 2 Pats 1 ('96 Cup Final replay), Reds 2 Bohs 1 (last league title win in 2006), Bohs 0 Reds 1 (Stewie Byrne winner 2003-amazing atmosphere).

Best non-Reds game:Rome derby-see one before you die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Barcelona vs Villa Real. It was a great match!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

High Profile France V Ireland in Paris
    Atmosphere: about 20 years ago - Bristol City V Bristol Rovers - 21,000 in Ashton Gate
    I was in the Rovers section - simply unreal - following a 2-2 draw there was a riot afterwards - police everywhere but it still continued into the night.
    It was a pre-season FRIENDLY - my first match 'cross the water left some impression!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

dooferoaks wrote: »
    And what was yours pray tell.

Why, thank you for asking!

Oddly enough, I'm not entirely sure of the exact scoreline of the game. Maybe a League of Ireland fan can remind me?

Anyway it was in 2001, I was ten years old and had never been to a football match before. My big brother decided to bring me up to Morton Stadium in Santry to see Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians. The atmosphere was intense to say the least. I was standing right in the middle of the incredibly loud Rovers fans, giggling like mad when they chanted their naughty songs.
    Rovers went 4 goals up at half-time (I think! Maybe 3) and then Bohemians produced a master class comeback in the 2nd half and ended up winning 6-4.
    Again, I was so young and so overwhelmed by the experience that I'm not entirely sure if that was the exact scoreline.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Istanbull had to be the best, Chelsea 05 and 07 were incredible atmospheres, Cardiff 06 was a great weekend

Full of envy after reading that

High profle:

Ireland v Brazil. Thought I was in for a masterclass in Smaba soccer, turned out to be rather dull though.

In Anfield, most memorable moment was when Stevie Gerrard scored a 30 odd yard screamer to equalize against 'Boro in 2005.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Most entertaining - UD Lanarote v CD Toledo. Free in for me and a class match.:D

Are they Spanish or Portuguese or Mexican?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

This one even though we lost 4-2 great atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Full of envy after reading that

Nights like them are probaly the reason so many of us backed rafa to the last, and have so much respect for him

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Real Madrid 4 Mallorca 3, November 2007

Real went from 2-1 up to 3-2 down and the crowd started to turn on them. The atmosphere in the stadium was incredible, and even more so when Real fought back to win 4-3.

Honourable mention to Ajax 6 RBC Roosendaal 0, February 2006

Not the greatest match I've ever been to, incredibly one-sided as the scoreline suggests, but memorable for the way Klaas-Jan Huntelaar demolished the Roosendaal defence. He scored 4 and could easily have had another 4. Probably the best individual performance I've ever witnessed first hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Feyenoord - Ajax 4-1 in 1984

Feyenoord with Gullit and Cruijff
    Ajax with Van Basten, Rijkaard, Ronald Koeman, Jan Molby, Jesper Olsen

Cruijff, 37, gave a masterclass that afternoon.

Mate of mine witnessed Barca - Real last monday in Camp Nou.... Basterd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Domestic : Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers (R.D.S 1st January 1996). A John O Rourke (I think) rebound off a Greg Costello penalty. Absolute bliss !

International : Ireland v England (Lansdowne Road 15th February 1995). Needs no introduction !

Cross Channel : West Ham United v Wigan Athletic (Upton Park 23rd April 2010). A 3-2 win to keep us in the Prem !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

31 March 2007, Liverpool 4 - 1 Arsenal. The perfect hat trick from Crouchy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Barcelona 5-0 Madrid on Monday.

World Cup Final: France v Italy.

My favourite club game was United 7-1 Rome. Demolished.

inforfun wrote: »
    Feyenoord - Ajax 4-1 in 1984

Feyenoord with Gullit and Cruijff
    Ajax with Van Basten, Rijkaard, Ronald Koeman, Jan Molby, Jesper Olsen

Cruijff, 37, gave a masterclass that afternoon.

Mate of mine witnessed Barca - Real last monday in Camp Nou.... Basterd.

You've no right to be jealous of your mate considering the players you seen in action that day!

You seen Jan Molby before he got his crazy Scouse-Scandinavian accent. That really is an honour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The most high profile game I was at in recent years would be the Champion's League final in Istanbul, but my favourite high profile game that I was at was at Stamford Bridge in 1986, when Kenny knocked in the goal that clinched the title for Liverpool.

Having grown up in Liverpool. I guess I have been lucky to have been at a hell of a lot of Liverpool's high profile games from the latter stages of Bob Paisley's reign onwards.

The two worst high profile games that I was at had to be a certain last day of the season game against Arsenal, a day that still haunts my footy memories, and the Merseyside Derby from this season which stung a lot worse than other Derby defeats for me.

Are they Spanish or Portuguese or Mexican?

'Lanarote' was meant to be 'Lanzarote'.:o
    Was in the Spanish Segunda Division B.:D

€7 in for adults, iirc, and €80 for a season ticket. Would definately pay that if I was living there. Really entertaining football and passionate players and fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Best domestic:Reds 2 Bohs 1 (last league title win in 2006).

Brilliant, still remember Willo dropping the poxy ball and thinking we'd f**ked it away, and still remember standing right in line with Stewies peno in section A.

Defintely one of the best for me too.

EDIT: Just remembered the Pats away 3-1 win for us, great match still remember dieing with the flu on a cold Septembers evening and running down to get the 78a on Thomas St. Was 1-1 iirc, last 10 mins or so, Harris scored a cracking free right into the grassy knoll end (temp stand area now). Great match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Ireland 2 2 Italy
    Bohs 1 0 Rovers a few weeks ago.
    Bohs 2 2 Derry two. 2008 cup final.
    Pats 1 3 Bohs. 2008 cup semis.
    Drogs 2 4 Bohs. A really good game Drogs were 2 1 up.

These are probably my 5 favorite in no particular order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

League of Ireland
    1995 Athlone Town v Derry City.
    Last game of the season, Derry were battling with Dundalk to win the league, Athlone were well down the table with nothing to play for. FAI were so confident of a Derry win they brought the trophy to St Mels Park for the post match presentation. 13 seconds into the game Donal Golden puts Athlone 1 up. Derry throw everything at Athlone but Town hold out until late on. Derry equalise but Dundalk win so the FAI have to legger it up to Oriel.

PlayOff 1994/95 Athlone v Finn Harps ...
    Shane Curran performed some heroics in goals to send the game to a shootout. Town player manager Mickey O'Connor scores the winning penalty saying depending on how his kick went he was headed for either The Shack or The Shannon

English League/Cups
    1993 West Ham v Cambridge
    West Ham clinched automatic promotion on the last day of the season with a 2-0 win. They edged out Portsmouth on "Goals Scored" as far asI can remember. Clive Allen scored the goal that clinched it late in the game.

1993 Wycombe Wanderers v Runcorn
    FA Trophy final at Wembley the day after the West Ham game. Martin O'Neill was manager of Wycombe and Steve Guppy was the danger man. Wycombe ran out 4-1 winners

2006 Man Utd v West Ham
    Paolo Di Canio plays on as Fabien Bartez does his impression of a Gardai stopping traffic

International
    2001 Ireland v Holland
    McAteer strike, unbelievable!

2005 Faroe Islands v Ireland
    Memorable just for the pure madness of the trip. Fog meant the team couldnt depart after the game so they stayed and went on the beer. Gary Dotherty stole my flag when leaving the niteclub and ran off down the town in Torshavn. I took off at great speed and caught up with him to reclaim the flag. 1st and only time I matched a "Premiership striker" for speed!

2007 Isreal v Ireland
    Again memorable for the madness of the trip. Instead of bouncers the pubs had machine gun armed soldiers.Home fans chanting in the stadium was mad

2009 France v Ireland
    That game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Most high profile was the match between Man United and Spurs back in '05 when Roy Carroll "saved" that shot from Pedro Mendes. We were in the upper tier behind it and didn't realise until we got home how lucky we were to get out with a draw.

Managed to get a ticket in the Stretford End against Birmingham in '06 I think when we won 3-0. There was an incredible atmosphere there

Most enjoyable match was against Hull last year though. Sitting on the halfway line to see Rooney get 4 goals. Made all the sweeter by having him as my captain on Fantasy Football that week. Hauled in over 60 points from him

Best match I saw was one between my club and the local rivals in their pitch. A good couple of hundred turned up on a Sunday morning. Both teams ravaged by injuries. They were leading 2-1 in the last few minutes when we got a free on the right about 35 yards out. One of our boys stepped up and pinged it in top corner. Never seen a free kick hit as sweetly before. The whole place just erupted. Incredible finish to the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Celtic 1-0 Barcelona, UEFA Cup 4th round, 2004

Not only the result but the atmosphere was simply AMAZING, and that's saying something for a Celtic Park European night.

It was also the day of the Madrid train bombings and the Spanish FA gave their teams the go-ahead to play on in their European games to show the terrorists that life goes on. The Celtic fans dedicated this to the Barca fans and the people of Spain...

It was the loudest I'd ever heard it. Absolutely electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Le King wrote: »
    Barcelona 5-0 Madrid on Monday.

World Cup Final: France v Italy.

My favourite club game was United 7-1 Rome. Demolished.

You sound like the richest ****er here.

you b*stard:pac::pac:

I'm so jealous:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Definitely the last game at Highbury (Arsenal 4 Wigan 2) for so many reasons, not only was it the best game I have attended it was probably one of the best days of my life, just a perfect day :)

Will never forget the day, a perfect beautiful sunny May day in London with my mum. The tube trip to ground and the Arsenal supporter opposite me becoming increasingly infuriated with me because I would not believe him that the match could be called off because of the spurs players.

Arriving at Arsenal to total confusion that indeed the match could be called off, the fan who had told me earlier on the tube seeking me out to tell me "told you so" with a big grin on his face.

The final North Bank concourse band, the sadness of saying goodbye to familiar faces that you had got to know.

Taking my seat for the final time, the souvenir t shirts , seeing Arsenal had not forgotten about the Wigan fans by giving them some :) Looking across to the West Lower where my dad had brought me to my first match all those years ago.

Watching the match was very strange, it was a fantastic entertaining match but like everyone else, I was also trying to take in the surroundings for one last time, the match itself really seemed to fly by. Some supporters had radios and would keep the rest of us updated with the spurs match. Dennis Bergkamp coming on too wild cheers, not for him, but that West Ham had scored.

That Thierry Henry penalty to make it 4-2 :), one last hat trick :), and kissing the Highbury pitch in front of the North Bank, was he saying goodbye to us or just Highbury?

The final whistle and the relief of getting 4th spot and then suddenly realizing, that was it, no more football at Highbury :(

Roger Daltrey singing some Who songs and his specially written Highbury Highs. All the players of yesterday being paraded around the pitch and wondering where was Tony Adams :confused:

The final Highbury countdown and fireworks. Then the players, rather then leaving by the players entrance leaving via the pitch, Thierry, Pires and Cole, sitting in there suits on the centre circle stage, wondering what they were chatting about.

Being one of the last supporters to leave the North Bank, while taking one last look at the pitch, and then spending another 30 minutes in the concourse and finally leaving for the last time :( but realizing we had a champions league final to look forward to and a new stadium, a new chapter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

West Ham -v- Millwall 2009. Yes, the one with all the riots! Was over with some friends and we decided to go, dont think I should elaborate anymore!!
    All I can say is thank fcuk I didnt wear my Spurs jersey (which I was extremely close to doing), otherwise, I seriously probably wouldn't be here today. Great memories though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

You sound like the richest ****er here.

you b*stard:pac::pac:

I'm so jealous:p

Nope, World Cup tickets were all free, got to 5 games there and the Barcelona tickets were got down the same avenue. I'm just lucky to have some of the relatives that I do and the fact they don't like sports. I get a lot of free tickets and they aren't in corporate areas either all in where everybody like me is. Would hate being alongside a bunch of people who haven't an interest in the sport. Just like Croke Park on All-Ireland day.

World Cup 2006 was awseome. Plus I remember €2 for a McChicken Sandwich for the duration of the World Cup in Germany, happy days :P :pac:.

THFC wrote: »
    West Ham -v- Millwall 2009. Yes, the one with all the riots! Was over with some friends and we decided to go, dont think I should elaborate anymore!!
    All I can say is thank fcuk I didnt wear my Spurs jersey (which I was extremely close to doing), otherwise, I seriously probably wouldn't be here today. Great memories though.

Why would you even consider that at West Ham v Millwall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

baz2009 wrote: »
    Why would you even consider that at West Ham v Millwall?

I'm guessing he's Irish and doesn't know that West Ham, Millwall and Spurs are all from London.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement