Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Game(s) You Attended

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Le King wrote: »
    Nope, World Cup tickets were all free, got to 5 games there and the Barcelona tickets were got down the same avenue. I'm just lucky to have some of the relatives that I do and the fact they don't like sports. I get a lot of free tickets and they aren't in corporate areas either all in where everybody like me is. Would hate being alongside a bunch of people who haven't an interest in the sport. Just like Croke Park on All-Ireland day.

World Cup 2006 was awseome. Plus I remember €2 for a McChicken Sandwich for the duration of the World Cup in Germany, happy days :P :pac:.

Wish I had relatives like that:(

Was in the worst place in the world for World Cup 2006, USA, I still cringe at the thought of it :o
    Was in the airport looking for a ****ing TV that would show the bloody Brazil V France match, no where to be found, god damn yanks:mad:

Was coincidentially in Paris for the World Cup final 1998, I was very young but still remember the unbelievable scenes that night, the city went absoultely mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Best to some people might mean meromable to more.
    For me, the England game in Stuttgart, Internationals, the England game in Cagliari, the Romania game in Genoa, the Italy game in New Jersey, the Germany game in Japan were all great occasions. Also the Italy game in Dalymount.
    On club level, Uefa final in Dortmund with Liverpool winning 5-4, CL in Istanbull, Celtics gallant loss in the uefa final in Seville in 03, Liverpool in the Nou Camp in 07, a few various old firm wins, Danny Murphys last min
    winner in OT.
    Many more too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Best one I'd say was Salzburg away with Bohs. Probably the most high profile was this years Carling Cup Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Chelsea vs Charlton in 2005.

Awful game, but I watched Chelsea lift the Championship for the first time in 50 years.

Made better by the fact that we got into the same bar that a good portion of the players were celebrating in because my dad knew the chef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You've no right to be jealous of your mate considering the players you seen in action that day!

You seen Jan Molby before he got his crazy Scouse-Scandinavian accent. That really is an honour!

Of course i have every right to envie him. It was with him i went every home game at the Feyenoord Stadium for 20 years, basically till i moved to ireland in 2002.
    Next thing that happened was Feyenoord winning the UEFA cup 5 months later at the Feyenoord Stadium and me sitting here on a couch in Ireland, Missing matches against Rangers, Inter, PSV and Dortmund.

Have to say, seeing Jan Molby almost makes up for that. Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

baz2009 wrote: »
    Why would you even consider that at West Ham v Millwall?

I dont know.... I just remember thinking I might get a laugh from it or something... I didnt realise before the match how much hatred there was between rival teams. Still tho, the West Ham boys are sound once yeh tell them you're on their side.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Newcastle vs United 2 and a half years ago.United hockeyed them 5-1.It was memorable because I was on a stag so we had home fan tickets,being one of 2 united fans on the stag was great even though we stayed quiet for fear of getting bashed.Great game.

I was also at the Blackburn game at the weekend,that was good fun too.:)

THFC wrote: »
    I dont know.... I just remember thinking I might get a laugh from it or something... I didnt realise before the match how much hatred there was between rival teams. Still tho, the West Ham boys are sound once yeh tell them you're on their side.!

Replace the word laugh with knife !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

High profle:

Ireland v Brazil. Thought I was in for a masterclass in Smaba soccer, turned out to be rather dull though.

The Ireland v Brazil games in the '00s have all been fairly S**te. What else would you expect from friendlies

My selections

Most exciting - Castlebar Celtic v Athenry in 2005/2006 FAI Junior cup semi-final at Milebush.
    I have been to loads of Ireland games, one LOI game, a good few top flight English and European games and one Word Cup but this was the most exciting game I was ever at, Athenry won it 3-1

Highest profile - Probably England v Denmark at the 2002 WC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

The carling cup three years ago Coventry beating man utd 2-0 with michael Mifsud scoring twice and The Coventry fans owning the stadium for the whole game.

Others include coventry against utd again at Highfield road losing 3-2 in an epic game with all the young crop of utd with becks and scholes coming through. Got to met players after was fun pushing buy andy cole to get to Dion Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Couple of games, neither hight profile.

Chelsea winning the Full Members Cup final against Man City, my first final of any kind (obviously the ultimate in Mickey Mouse tournament but Chelsea were sh*t in those days!). Absolutely fantastic game. Chelsea nearly managed to throw it away, 5 - 1 up, City pulled it back to 5 -4.

Two teams with "proper" supporters (in those days at least)

Damn I was there too , remember it clearly

Those were the days

Chelsea beating Barca 3 1 , also Chelsea beating Liverpool 4 2 back in 1978

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Best was Utd Spurs 5-2 at Old Trafford a couple of years back when Utd were 2 down at half time. I was behind the goal where all 7 were scored!

highest profile would have been Ireland-Holland at USA 94 2nd round where Ireland got knocked out. I brought back luck as I was in Ireland for the famous Italy game and went to the other 3 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Kilkenny vs St Pats in '98. Last day of the season. Second-placed Pats needed a win and needed Shelbourne to lose to struggling Dundalk as they were two points ahead of us.

Here's what happened, from the independent.ie:
    Leading by two points Shelbourne only needed a draw in Dundalk but Oriel Park once again became a graveyard for championship aspirants as goals from Brian Byrne and David Ward gave Dundalk a 2-0. Five minutes from the end Stephen Geoghegan pulled a goal back for Shels but they couldn't force the equaliser they needed to be crowned champions.

At Buckley Park, Colin Hawkins fired St Pat's into an early lead but Kilkenny rocked the visitors by equalising and it took a 79th minute goal from Eddie Gormley, greatly aided by a Michael Reddy deflection, to give St Pat's the win and the title.

Cue a pitch invasion, naturally. Place was mental. Saw it again on MNS last year and got shivers down my spine.

Eddie Gormley, legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Everton 2 Aston Villa 3

Brought my young fella to the game, was sat in the family end with loads of Everton fans surrounding me. I said I didn't mind who won as long as there was at least a goal and after 40 seconds Sidwell scored.
    We were under pressure for most of the game, went 1-1, then 2-1 to Villa.
    Cue a last minute goal by Lescott to even things up before Ashley Young went through up the other end and buried it. The silence of the home fans was brutal, and though I didn't move an inch, I was asked ( quite loudly ) by me 6 year old " Why aren't you cheering for Villa today Dad ? "

Awesome game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Highest Profile; Ireland's 3 games in Japan during WC2002

Most Entertaining; Derry City's 1st game at Finn Park after coming into the League of Ireland, Derry won 7-2:(, Place was jammed solid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭secman

A game I greatly enjoyed was some years ago in richmond park....... SPA v Bohs in a FAI cup semi, Absolutely lashed rain, 0-0 after 90 min and still 0-0 after extra time. But a hugely entertaining game, both teams were on their knees that night. Best 0-0 I ever saw.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Been at loads of Irish games home and away but most memorable: Ireland V Italy, WC 94; Ireland V Holland 2001; Ireland v Portugal 1995, Landsdowne was rocking that day; also Seville 2003 UEFA Cup Final:(

and one game that stays with me was Sligo Rovers V FC Brugges back circa 97/98 in the Showgrounds, freezing wet October night with the place packed to the rafters and Rovers really putting it up to Brugges who were a fairly big European name at the time. Sligo lost 3-2 iirc

Biggest game where i was a neutral was the 20002 Champ League Final where Zidane scored a wonder goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Over two legs, St Pats versus IF Elfsborg in the UEFA Cup. Wonderful.

2-0 down at half time, away. Ended up 2-2. Smashing trip.

Mark Quigley scored a peno

And then, the best team goal I've ever seen Pats score, finished with a Gary Dempsey header (Swedish commentary is gas in this clip!)

Then, home leg, we went one nil down, and scored twice with ten minutes remaining which sent Inchicore into raptures. Amazing night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

2 games

Dublin City vs Bray 2003 we drew 2-2 got promoted for the first time and Whitehall was rocking

another one

Dublin City vs Rover 2005 when collins walked out day before the game took over rovers and we still sent them down first leg was in dalymount and it finished 2-2 all in the thickest fog you could barely see the pitch then on friday in tolka park we won 1 nill and there was killings as loads of bohs fans went in pretending to be DCFC fans but were not bad end to a smashing week

only lasted another season :(

great memorys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cork City Vs Dery City November 18th 2005.

It was the last game of a 2 horse race season. Derry had over taken CCFC at the top the previous week for the first time of the season, so just needed a draw to win the league. Best athmosphere ever inside Turners Cross which was jammed to the rafters by 6.15 for a 7.45 kick off. It was also the last night of the Shed as a standing terrace. City won comfortably 2-0 and raucous celebrations ensued for the rest of the weekend.

Also, Aston Villa 1 - 3 Arsenal Feb 2005

Not a great contest by any means but to see Henry and Bergkamp in their pomp for Arsenal is something I will never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

d.anthony wrote: »
    Celtic 1-0 Barcelona, UEFA Cup 4th round, 2004

Not only the result but the atmosphere was simply AMAZING, and that's saying something for a Celtic Park European night.

It was also the day of the Madrid train bombings and the Spanish FA gave their teams the go-ahead to play on in their European games to show the terrorists that life goes on. The Celtic fans dedicated this to the Barca fans and the people of Spain...

It was the loudest I'd ever heard it. Absolutely electric.

That's nothing compared to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Newcastle 5 Sunderland 1 was an amazing experience

Also enjoyed the promotion sealing win at home to Forest last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Was in the Kop for this so had an awesome view :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Only ever been to one game in England and that was

Everton 2-1 Arsenal.

Rooney's first goal. A belter in the top corner past Seaman.

Good day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Ireland - Yugoslavia in 99. One of the most viscious atmospheres i've ever encountered and one I'm disappointed to say we don't replicate often enough. Great game too, won two one!

The Shels - Pats cup quarter final marathon was something else. A 2all, a 1 all and then another 2 all iirc and Shels wining on penalties in the end.

But best of all was probably Shels - Hajduk Split!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Mine was @ the World Cup in Germany 06. Only the 3rd place play-off though between Germany and Portugal. I know it's seen as a dead rubber but seeing as Germany were in it, the atmosphere was class and we got to see plenty of goals, 3-1 to the Germs

And from the poxy corruption voting today it looks like the last World Cup game I get to in a while. Brazil could be fun next time round though, I might look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Giants Stadium 1994 WC

Beating Italy and having Ray Houghton in your binoculars when he scored .
    Staying back in the stadium for over a hour singing and party time :)

Magic !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Best was Utd Spurs 5-2 at Old Trafford a couple of years back when Utd were 2 down at half time. I was behind the goal where all 7 were scored!

It was 3-5 dude! We were 3-0 down at half time. Classic match all right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Le King wrote: »
    It was 3-5 dude! We were 3-0 down at half time. Classic match all right!

I think he means the one from 2008-2009 season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dan1895 wrote: »
    too, won two one!

i dont care how nerdy it makes me, but that made my day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

in terms of occasion, has to be united v barcelona in 2008 semi final, 1-0 at old trafford. incredible that night, i was also at the final in moscow, obviously another huge occasion, but at home, 70,000+ united fans was really special.

in terms of quality, at home, the ireland v italy game in about 2005 was top quality football i though, 2-1 to italy, for united, the 3-2 v villa when macheda scored in 93rd minute will take beating for quality, excitement

if i was asked to pick one, would go for united v barcelona.
    Same as the above, bar the Italy game. I believe 4-3 City last year is worth a mention too. But yep, definitely Barça '08 - Mental when Scholes' cracker went it in, and absolutely ****ing crazy after the final whistle, not to mention ****ting ourselves in-between!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Liverpool 1-2 Man Utd
    Damn you Forlan... not forgetting Jerzy:pac:

Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal
    Arshavin 4 touches = 4 goals... bye bye league:( Saying that was a privilege to see a Liverpool team at full flight, especially an on fire Nando Torres:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I think he means the one from 2008-2009 season!

Ah right, I though he was talking about the classic match.

Completely missed the at OT bit. Thought he was talking about the real classic at WHL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

BOHtox wrote: »
    That's nothing compared to this

That the testimonial... I was there, good times good times. edit: dont think it is!

Man Utd 4 - 3 Man City also springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Best: Swansea City 2 - 2 Southend United - (Coca Cola League One) April 2006
    I've been to a few 3-2s and 4-3s but as a spectacle it probably has to be this one. The highest gate at the Liberty at that time saw Swansea take the lead twice only to be pegged back by two brilliant goals from Freddy Eastwood. Southend needed a win to guarantee promotion to the Championship but a stoppage time goal for Hartlepool at Brentford saw us promoted with just the point.

Most High Profile: Southend United 1 - 0 Manchester United - (Carling Cup 4th Round) Nov 2006.
    I've been to a couple of LDV Finals at the MillStad. Then there was the first International at the new Wembley vs Brazil. Plus, I was at Wembley for the game vs Croatia when England failed to qualify for Euro 2008. In terms of profile though it would probably be that night at Roots Hall which I'll be boring friends, family and strangers about in fifty years time. Rooney, Ronaldo et al came expecting a comfortable win for the defending champions but Freddy Eastwood's first half freekick knocked them out and put Southend into the headlines around the World. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

town versus waterford in fai cup final in landsdowne road, paul keegan scoring the winner and dropping to his knees over come with emotion! or the pats match in the final the year before.

beating bohs in the league cup final in flancare, sean prunty scoring the winner, great night.

finn harps on a cold tuesday night for 2nd leg relegation/promotion play off, we won on peno, best atmosphere ever!

beating shels 5-1 the year we won the cup and they won the league, they had gone on their big european run! i remember they gave the team a guard of honour as they came out onto the pitch, then got ripped apart!

lovech, first town game in europe, going to where me and my dad had stood since i was 7 or 8 and there was seats there instead of a slope, felt weird sitting down for the match, and seeing people there who i had not seen at a match before or since!

bitter sweet match was the night we got relegated, the players played out of their skins that night and false rumours flying around that we were safe, relegated by goal difference i think it was after a 10point deduction! remember walking back out to the car and thinking, ah **** beck to the first division! was there to count the crowds for shannon side when i was only really young and used to only count 50 or 60 to seeing us play in europe,was a great few years and hoping will see them times again!

celtic barcelona in park head, celtic won 1-0, day after the madrid bombings, remember being in belfast prot and watching the news reports and no one knew if game would go ahead, we travelled anyway then it went ahead, was sitting right beside the barca fans, fields of athenry made hairs stand on the back of my neck that night, during minutes silence some of the barca fans shouting f*ck spain, other barca fans taking offence, cue fights between different groups of barca fans, surreal!

celtic juve, my first european match, celtic won 4-3, cracking game! trezeguet celebrated his goal few feet in front of me!

celtic st.mirren, 2001, celtic win league due to tommy johnston 43rd minute goal, athmosphere was so tense up to this, then the whole place just went into party mode for the next 2-3 hours!!got the boat back to belfast that night and our bus had a big party in a barn out the back of a pub on the border, i was 13, drinking coke and eating bags of crisps like a good thing!

ireland france in croke park, sense of we could do it walking out of croke park had us excited about the tuesday match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Trilla wrote: »
    That the testimonial... I was there, good times good times. edit: dont think it is!

Man Utd 4 - 3 Man City also springs to mind

I think it's Salzburg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Barcelonas last home game of 2008/09 against Villarreal. If Barca would have won the game they'd have won the league in the Nou Camp. Everybody was shouting "Campiones, Campiones!!!" but Vilarreal scored in the 82nd minute to get a draw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

BOHtox wrote: »
    I think it's Salzburg

Yeah that was Salzburg, absolutely loved the away leg of that.

Shamrock Rovers 4 - 6 Bohemians in Santry was another great match.
    Rovers 4 - 1 up at HT.

If we are talking Arsenal, the CL final against Barca (although Arsenal lost) would have to be the highest profile match, can't really single out a "best" match though, so many good memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

frantic190 wrote: »

Shamrock Rovers 4 - 6 Bohemians in Santry was another great match.
    Rovers 4 - 1 up at HT.

That's the match I was on about earlier in this thread.
    My first ever game. It was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Havent been to many but went over to the Barca-Seville one at Halloween. 5-0 cant go wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Man United 7-1 Roma
    Was an unbelievable atmosphere even before the match started. Was my first time at a united match too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

10/12/1997 Stadio delle Alpi (Curva Sud) Juventus vs. Manchester United.

My first ever Juventus game in with the Black and White Fighters. I was told by my friend not to speak English under any circumstances. The atmosphere was electric. Juventus needed to win and hope that Olympiakos either won or drew with Rosenborg.

Juventus were the better side on the night but just couldn't find a goal. Then we got the news that Olympiakos were 1-0. The more the game went on the less it looked like Juve would score. Then the disastrous news from Athens (I think) Rosenborg had gone 2-1 up. Then 83rd minute...cross....Inzaghi...GOAL. The stadium erupted. Icing on the cake was a late equaliser for Olympiakos, a 25 yard screamer from that baldy guy. Juve were through!

Epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Celtic v liverpool at anfield 2003.. big johns screamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

2006 FAI Cup Final, Derry 4-3 Pats

The last game at the old Landsdowne. The weather was atrocious but it was a cracking game for entertainment and goals. Me and my friends were above the Pats in the East Stand for the first half before switching to the West Stand for the second. We were up behind the Derry fans and the celebrations at the end were phenomenal. That match had a cracking atmosphere to boot.

Final day of the 2001 Premier Division, Bray 4-1 Pats

The best Bray performance I've ever seen in Bray's best ever season (we finished fourth). I can't remember much of the details now, except we were 1-0 down at half-time and the Pats fans were setting off flares as the sides went off. The second half, we must've scored four goals and Davy Williamson's name sticks in my mind so I guess he put in a good shift.

2010 Segunda División, Rayo 4-1 Huesca

One of the best team performances by any side I've ever seen and I was lucky to be there to see it. Rayo destroyed Huesca. They tore them apart and probably should have won 8-1.

EDIT: Highest profile: Atleti 1-0 Liverpool, last year's Europa League but the match was fairly crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

BFassassin wrote: »
    Man United 7-1 Roma
    Was an unbelievable atmosphere even before the match started. Was my first time at a united match too.

By coincidence, someone was telling me earlier that that match was the last tiem that Alan Smith scored a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

That's the match I was on about earlier in this thread.
    My first ever game. It was insane.

Mine too. Hooked since. Bloody freezing that day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Leejo wrote: »
    Mine too. Hooked since. Bloody freezing that day.

That game didn't happen :)

Ireland 1-0 Netherlands
    Rovers 2-1 Bohs 2009
    Limerick 0-2 Rovers 2006
    Liverpool 3-2 Crystal Palace 2004
    Cork City 2-2 Rovers 1994

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

dfx- wrote: »
    That game didn't happen :)

Ireland 1-0 Netherlands
    Rovers 2-1 Bohs 2009
    Limerick 0-2 Rovers 2006
    Liverpool 3-2 Crystal Palace 2004
    Cork City 2-2 Rovers 1994

I have a mate who supports Rovers. Your first game in Tallaght would probably be his choice for this thread. He cried on the LUAS on the way to Tallaght. Looks as hard as nails on the outside, since then we know he's a softie on the inside

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It would be mine too, had I attended the game. First game in Tallaght for me was Kildare County in the League Cup a few games in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement