Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for sledging

Options
  • 01-12-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

:D

Where is the best place near Kilkenny city for sledging?
    May well take the two boys out tomorrow for a while, as the school is closed again and the snow is coming down heavily and should be great for sledging tomorrow. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

why not try out the hill in castle park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The hill on the right hand side of the first fairway between the first and the second fairways in Kilkenny golf club.

Best in town.

Also, sleds are lame, use a heavy duty plastic fertiliser bag or coal bag as this has a much lower coefficient of dynamic friction than your average sled which equates to better super slidey fun time.

Stuff it with straw to prevent ass pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Also, sleds are lame, use a heavy duty plastic fertiliser bag or coal bag as this has a much lower coefficient of dynamic friction than your average sled which equates to better super slidey fun time.

How come dogs pull sleds instead of plastic bags then, and why do skiers use skis instead of putting plastic bags over their shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

The hill on the right hand side of the first fairway between the first and the second fairways in Kilkenny golf club.

Best in town.

Also, sleds are lame, use a heavy duty plastic fertiliser bag or coal bag

Have to agree with fabbydaddy on this one. had many a good snow day up there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

A few places to try out then.

Thanks. :)

I'm 50 next year and I feel like a big kid. :D

Had the mother of all snowball fights about an hour ago.

• Advertisement

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    How come dogs pull sleds instead of plastic bags then, and why do skiers use skis instead of putting plastic bags over their shoes?

I can't actually believe I am writing this, but anyway, the sleds I referred to in my original post are the crappy ones you buy for kids, which are totally lame, and which sink in the fluffy fresh snow.

The reason they sink is due to the pressure they exert on the snow with their narrow rails. The downward force from the weight of the kid is distributed over a smaller area than if the kid was sitting on a large plastic bag, which sits on top of the snow much better.

As we all know pressure is inversely proportional to area, ergo, the smaller the area of the sled rails, the greater the pressure. This is a linear relationship with downward force F taken as a constant of proportionality and the product of the mass of the kid and acceleration due to gravity.

Obviously for transcontinental tundra transit (with supplies for several weeks) a large, tailor made sled drawn by a team of huskies would be preferable to a coal bag stuffed with straw.

The pressure / area relationship is also the reason why people don't simply put plastic bags over their shows in order to to ski. Other factors include:
    Controllability - Skis have sharp edges to allow the skier to carve
    Durability - A plastic bag would tear.

I do hope this answers your questions about sleds and skis.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I have converted my old snow board into a cracking sled. it absolutely flies and has the ability to carve somewhat!
    my little one loves it.
    I, however, remember when the snowboard was used off piste with a hangover!
    how life changes~~:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'd go with the golf club too. Great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I can't actually believe I am writing this....

I actually can't believe you wrote all that s*it either.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's not s*it but I am surprised he bothered writing it. Cabin fever perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

catbear wrote: »
    It's not s*it but I am surprised he bothered writing it. Cabin fever perhaps?
    Its a bit like in the Irish sun, the page 3 girls always have news in brief and go to real detail explaining something. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Don't the golf club go mad at people destroying their green with sledding? I only live across the road a bit from there and didn't think they would welcome my lads and their plastic bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

you just got SNowned

I see what you did there. Very clever.
    Don't the golf club go mad at people destroying their green with sledding? I only live across the road a bit from there and didn't think they would welcome my lads and their plastic bags.

It's not the green, it's not even fairway, it's rough, so if you're in there you're either a sledder or a bad golfer. And if they don't like it then they shouldnt have designed a course with such awesome sledding hills on it.

Advertisement