Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution Rifle to shotgun

Options
  • 01-12-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi everyone

Could you please tell me under the new rules and regulations. how do i change from a rifle to a shotgun, is it straight forward and another 80 euro.

has anyone done this ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

ByeByeGTI wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Could you please tell me under the new rules and regulations. how do i change from a rifle to a shotgun, is it straight forward and another 80 euro.

has anyone done this ?

thanks
    as far as I know, it's a new application and €80

The Garda Commissioner’s Guidelines as to the Practical Application and Operation of the Firearms Acts, 1925-2009.
    page 38

SUBSTITUTIONS AND LIKE FOR LIKE
    When an application to substitute a firearm certificate is made – on the basis of ‘like for like’ – the process should be completed by the Garda Síochána in a reasonable time frame of approx. 14 days. This application will be made on the ordinary application form FCA1 and will not require a fee. In this situation, the applicant will not be required to undergo the entire application process again e.g. medical enquires, referees etc. It should be noted that approx two weeks following the issue of a substitute firearm certificate, the original firearm certificate will cease to be in force and should be destroyed by the holder.
    When assessing a ‘like for like’ application, an issuing person should be satisfied that the applicant’s ‘Good Reason’ for possessing the firearm has not changed since the original grant of the certificate. For example, substituting a non restricted long firearm for another non restricted long firearm is allowable provided that the applicant does not intend shooting deer instead of say species that are destructive to farming or hunting activities. As stated, the ‘Good Reason’ must remain fundamentally the same as in the original grant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Rifle for a shotgun is not a straight substitution. It will mean a new application for the shotgun and an FCA2 to cancel the license for the rifle if you are not keeping it. If you are its just the FCA1 for the shotgun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement