Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diamondback mtbs

• 01-12-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Anyone know have any experience with diamondback mountain bikes? Specifically the diamonback s30 full sus? Its a few years old now I think, have a chance to pick one up in what seems to be pretty good nick for 200e but can't seem to find any useful information online.
    So yeah, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I think the brand has been owned by raleigh for a number of years and has been neglected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

No isn't a strong enough word.

Don't get a full suspension bike for under €800 at least (new anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

would leave it tbh. it's in the same stable as claud butler, falcon, raleigh etc - Diamond Back were never even great back in the 80s IIRC. Full sus for 200 euro = trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

mtb_kng wrote: »
    No isn't a strong enough word.

Don't get a full suspension bike for under €800 at least (new anyway)

Oops, forgot to mention it's second hand. Might still be a bit cheap to expect anything decent in full sus but I wouldn't want anyone thinking I'd consider buying a full-sus mtb for 200e new.
    So yeah, is it still a no?

Oh yeah, and the specs are along the lines of: Suntour XC60 front suspension forks. 750 lbs Outland Coil rear shock unit. - 24 Speed. Shimano Acera derailleurs. Shimano EZ Fire shifters - Tektro IO Mechanical disc brakes - Alloy rims and Formula Quick release hubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

Iv'e just gotten into mtb this winter and got hold of a diamond back hardtail for free recently , well used but in ok nic.
    Needed a few parts for a damaged brake caliper but couldn't get them as they were discontinued.
    The guy in the LBS tried bits off other bikes and the rep for raleigh / diamond back, but came up a blank.
    Just check it over very well if your buying as getting parts could be hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

redzone wrote: »
    Iv'e just gotten into mtb this winter and got hold of a diamond back hardtail for free recently , well used but in ok nic.
    Needed a few parts for a damaged brake caliper but couldn't get them as they were discontinued.
    The guy in the LBS tried bits off other bikes and the rep for raleigh / diamond back, but came up a blank.
    Just check it over very well if your buying as getting parts could be hassle.

Are you saying diamondback use non-standard componentry? Because the equipment list for this bike seems to be all tektro, shimano, tioga, suntour etc, same as on lots of other bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

Hi Tony.

Ive only just started mtb so I wasnt sure about the disc brakes. Im usually on the road bike but Im to much of a blouse for the cold weather and dodgy road conditions.

I got the bike from a mate who hadn't used it for a while. I took it to the bike shop for a service and repair.

The fella there was helpful but only interested in putting on new parts.

After a few weeks of searching he told me he couldn't get them as they are discontinued. I ended up taking the bike home and doing a job on it myself.

As for the parts you listed , you would think they would be available but I'm also learning as I go , this was just my experience with someone who is in the business. Wether he is right , I have my doubts if ye know where I'm comin from.

Ive since changed for a bike with hydro brakes, much better than mechanical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What parts were non standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Oops, forgot to mention it's second hand. Might still be a bit cheap to expect anything decent in full sus but I wouldn't want anyone thinking I'd consider buying a full-sus mtb for 200e new.
    So yeah, is it still a no?

Oh yeah, and the specs are along the lines of: Suntour XC60 front suspension forks. 750 lbs Outland Coil rear shock unit. - 24 Speed. Shimano Acera derailleurs. Shimano EZ Fire shifters - Tektro IO Mechanical disc brakes - Alloy rims and Formula Quick release hubs.

To be honest at 200 euro its ok, but mechanical disk brakes are quite poor and the other bits are average at best. It will be a heavy bike to punt around no doubt.

I rode and raced Diamond Back bikes in the early 90's and they were great back then, the Ascent, Apex, Axis etc were all top quality machines back in the day, Raleigh bought them over and the brand went to pot after that :(

Advertisement