Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does this seem like a bad idea?

Options
  • 01-12-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mercer

myself and the BF had planned a few weeks ago to do all our chirstmas shopping in Dundrum this friday. he booked the day off work ages ago. and now the weather is just poxy. we live in leixlip and are planning on driving to the shopping centre at around 10am. does this seem mental? i was really looking forward to the shopping trip! will the centre even be open?! argh i hate snow! :mad:

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Mercer,

Do you think it is a bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mercer

no... i was just wondering what others thought. but i think you may be asking a rhetorical question :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Not being rude, just when I read threads like these, I always think that the poster often already knows deep down the answer to their question. Know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Shouldn't be a problem...will just be very slow traffic. Whatever you do though, I don't reccommend leaving or joining the M50 at J13 Dundrum...use Firhouse and cut across the southside or continue to Sandyford. Very very steep ramps on and off at Dundrum.

thanks sdonn. good advice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

mercer wrote: »
    myself and the BF had planned a few weeks ago to do all our chirstmas shopping in Dundrum this friday. he booked the day off work ages ago. and now the weather is just poxy. we live in leixlip and are planning on driving to the shopping centre at around 10am. does this seem mental? i was really looking forward to the shopping trip! will the centre even be open?! argh i hate snow! :mad:

thanks
    I think it's a terrible idea. Dundrum Shopping Centre is Sh|te. Nothing to do with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

kenmc wrote: »
    I think it's a terrible idea. Dundrum Shopping Centre is Sh|te. Nothing to do with the weather.

That too, I'd be using the Pavilions as its near me but Blanch is the best selection of stores by far. Dundrum, while nice, is overpriced, full of snobby arrogant twats and full of chain stores that are hugely expensive. You wouldn't find a TK Maxx in there for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I concur with other views: There are far better places to shop. I think the Dundrum centre must hold the world record for being the biggest shopping centre with nothing in it. There are places a fraction the size of it with much more variety. So going to Dundrum to do your shopping is a bad idea, in any weather!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think you will be fine if you go there prob for 10am at the earliest. Dundrum is very busy in the mornings before 9am and with the weather so crazy right now, it will prob be busy til 10am since people will be driving slower.

Coming back, I would try to avoid coming onto the M50 via the Dundrum slip because that is where all the problems have been last night and tonight as cars could not get up the slip - it is too steep. However that was after 4pm both days but it depends on the snow situation. You could head back via Firhouse instead.

ehhh clearly i dont care what anyone thinks of dundrum shopping centre.
    thats not the question... i got a good answer, i dont need anymore.

• Advertisement

sdonn wrote: »
    That too, I'd be using the Pavilions as its near me but Blanch is the best selection of stores by far. Dundrum, while nice, is overpriced, full of snobby arrogant twats and full of chain stores that are hugely expensive. You wouldn't find a TK Maxx in there for sure!

that's cos tk maxx is a load of crap

PS
    I think Dundrum is the best shopping centre in Ireland so you have excellent taste mercer! :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    that's cos tk maxx is a load of crap

And full of crap. Really hate that shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Op, living in leixlip I'd use Liffey valley. With the retail park you have a better selection of shops anyway, the only thing dundrum has that Liffey valley doesn't is expensive boutique type shops, and expensive restaurants. Maybe blanchardstown has a slightly better selection than Liffey valley, either would be a less stressful trip than dundrum.

If you're in these centres a lot and want a bit of a change from the norm or want to make it feel a bit more of a shopping 'Trip' trust me, you're not missing much. Having said that, if you really need to get something in dundrum, wait for the thaw and go on a Monday or Tuesday evening, they open til 9.
    sdonn wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a problem...will just be very slow traffic. Whatever you do though, I don't reccommend leaving or joining the M50 at J13 Dundrum...use Firhouse and cut across the southside or continue to Sandyford. Very very steep ramps on and off at Dundrum.

The route from the firhouse exit still has hills at scholarstown road, marley etc. but it would be the better choice judging by the trouble at J13 in the last few days.

ah thanks tinkerbell!! i freaking love dundrum!
    i wouldn't use liffey valley cos it doesn't have an urban outfitters and i hate the place anyway.. wouldn't go to blanch cos the roads would be fooked. more so than the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Go for it, I live beside it and roads not bad between 10 and 3ish, wouldn't stay any longer.

Yah I'm not a fan of Liffey Valley either - don't like the shops there at all. Dundrum is so much better and has a million better shops. Also the carpark is all underground so you don't even need to go outside in the horrible weather, unlike Liffey Valley.

Oh by the way, when I said that Dundrum is very busy in the mornings at 9am I meant the off-ramp on the M50 for Dundrum, not the shopping centre itself. It's all the people going onto Ballinteer Rd / Sandyford, etc. that make it a nightmare, but once the commuting traffic has gone (which I reckon would be by 10am at the latest) then you'll zip on up to Dundrum.

Also, if you don't wanna go by Firhouse on the way home, perhaps you should head towards the M50 going southbound (instead of northbound to avoid the Dundrum on-ramp), and come off again at Cherrywood (think Leopardstown may be a bit steep too), and then come over the bridge and back onto the M50 again then northbound. But that's going out of your way. But then again, the dundrum slip might be ok by Friday in which case disregard all of what I just said :D

Happy shopping!

thanks guys you're all heroes! xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Erm - weather forum - OP is asking about likely weather related conditions. Quality of shops is not 'our' speciality. OP may be going to Dundrum because they're looking for boutique stuff that's not available where they're driving from.

Personally, I'd say that driving to anywhere in Dublin tomorrow is a bad idea until I see AARoadwatch or here at 10am. I think everywhere will be toasted (or the frozen equivalent) so travel will be lengthy to the point of ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I agree. I work in balinteer, it took 1hr and 40 to get from maynooth to work yesterday and that was leaving at 7. The n/m4 backed up behind me and journey times were at an hour twenty to the m50 by 8 o clock. They stayed at that, and longer until 11 or so. Tomorow is going to be much worse as both Lucan and dublin have had significant further falls. I would say that it'll take at least two hours there and the same/more back. If this level of driving and time is ok then go for it but somewhere closer seems a better option to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Also from Leixlip so just to echo what people have said, dundrums ****......

Only joking! avoid the dundrum exit that you'd usually take, them hills are proving too much for an awful lot of people. Although judging by the carnage the last few days I personally wouldnt do it at all. could take you hours to get home, friday traffic is bad as it is on a normal friday, add in the snow, cancelled buses (if the last few days are repeated) and it could be more hassle than its worth.

Advertisement