Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caffeine and sleep

Options
  • 01-12-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if its possible for caffeine to make a person feel drowsy or tired as opposed to alert and why this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Does anyone know if its possible for caffeine to make a person feel drowsy or tired as opposed to alert and why this might be?

I'm no expert, but.. Caffeine is a stimulant - it acts on your central nervous system. So, in itself caffeine will not make you drowsy. It will do the opposite - You will be more wakefull.

I'd suggest that the drowsiness is comming from something else. One thing about caffeine is the ability to build up a tolerance... some people can drink a cup of coffee before going to bed without it affecting their sleep.. others would be up all night as a result of the caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Toby_2010

I agree with the above... I have a massive Tolerance to coffee at this stage! I drank an unhealthy amount through my leaving cert and now i just have a cup when studying or to have something to do if o get me.(im 19 now if its relative).. errm as for making you feeling drowsy.. thats questionable.. i reckon if your drowsy because of something else like an illness then coffee wont kick in!

its prob just a tolerance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

if you're watching Vincent Brown drinking numerous Espresso's you'll still feel very sleepy,fact:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you drink very milky coffee then the milk will help you sleep. That's the way coco works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Caffeine acts on adenosine receptor as an antagonist. Theoretically, it could make you more tired if you had a severe form of adenosine receptor dysfunction but fatigue would be the least of your problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've heard of it affecting a minority like this before and in large amounts it does make me drowsy. The stimulating effect could increase general metabolism and therefore lower available energy sources through increased utilisation leaving the subject feeling weak or tired.

just an idea though, nothing to back it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

After working in the north sea and been awake for 3 days and probably drinking 10 liters of coffe you would feel that,i know from experience:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Improbable wrote: »
    Caffeine acts on adenosine receptor as an antagonist. Theoretically, it could make you more tired if you had a severe form of adenosine receptor dysfunction but fatigue would be the least of your problems.
    It's not actually a stimulant is it? It just suppresses sleepiness more than stimulates. I read it on a stumblethon in the middle of the night so I can't remember what it does exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not actually a stimulant is it? It just suppresses sleepiness more than stimulates. I read it on a stumblethon in the middle of the night so I can't remember what it does exactly.

I don't know how many of you have access to scientific papers or the background knowledge to understand them (most are written fairly atrociously, even I have trouble understanding them), but there is a paper here which goes more into the effects of adenosine on wakefulness:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T0R-4D2MVP5-1&_user=10&_coverDate=08/01/2004&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=1de751bcaea95503a0b1e2ba3595d03f&searchtype=a

Drop me a PM if you want the full paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Interesting blog post regarding energy drinks, with links to other posts and studies regarding caffeine. Might be of interest to the OP:
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=9541

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

As far as i know caffeine has a rebound affect. So it will make u more alert however when the affect wears off u will feel extra tired

Alcohol is similar in that it makes u tired yet mostly you don't get a full nights sleep as it has a rebound affect.

Advertisement