Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography E-xamit sample answers

• 01-12-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all! long time listener, first time caller etc.

I'm having some trouble with Geography. My teacher is a bit of an eejit, spends most of the class joking with students and we don't learn that much.

Seeing as the exam is very predictable, I would really want to get an A in the subject. Our teacher gives us sample answers to common questions (Oxbow lakes, limestone landscape etc) by reading the textbook and telling us to highlight a sentence every now and then. We are then supposed to take all the highlighted sentences and learn those off as significant relevant points and use that as an answer. This leads to answers that are extremely long, don't really make sense, and even when you parrot that answer back to him in a test word for word he seems to mark it by picking a random number out of his head.He changes his mind as to what is and isn't a significant point. Annoying.

I use the Edco exam papers with the codes down on the bottom that give sample answers, and these seem to be much clearer and shorter than what we are given. For example, the waterfall answer here.

So, my question: Is that really a full 30 mark answer? Or should I stay away from those E-xamit answers?

I can give a sample answer our teacher has given to compare it to if anyone's interested, it's a lot longer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Count up the Srp's yourself.

Generally, An SRP is 2 marks X 12.
    Then say 2 for a diagram and 2 for labelling and then two for something else. Download a marking scheme. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Well, that's kind of my problem- my teacher has been so unclear as to what does or doesn't count as a good srp that I don't really know either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Ugh I know the feeling!...

I'm in 6th and freaking out about what we ACTUALLY have to learn there's SOOO much!!...

In regards to SRP's it means exactly what it's called a Significant Relative Point!...
    I always just think in my head "is this a different point?" "Does this have anything to do with (...waterfalls etc...)?"
    That answer appears to me to be very good and I would expect a full 30 marks if I handed that up...I agree it is quite short and concise but I guess that's all that is required because at the end of the day thats only a third of a question so it shouldnt need to be that long...
    But I'm only a 6th year, 2nd year of geography so I only know as much as any other student!...
    I always make sure I have 15 points in my answer which can include examples or diagrams etc...

Has your teacher given any advice on how to improve your answers?..
    Maybe you should just ask him yourself how can you bring up your mark...
    He could be marking them hard on purpose tomake everyone work harder...
    I would definitely ask him for advice maybe even point out (with respect,of course) how he changes his mind about SRP's...
    At the end of the day teachers are there to help us (I'm only realising this recently myself!) they want us to do well even though at times it doesn't feel like that!Also because it would reflect badly on them!...

Look, I think based on the e-xamit answer they seem like a good model on how to answer...
    And definitely ask your tacher for advice!...
    I'm in the same boat as you and I'd say many more are aswell I'm just hoping for a bit of clarity after the mocks!...
    Good luck! =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Yeah I agree with you, mocks will be pretty helpful in geography. I think I'm just going to find some kind of compromise between my teachers stuff and the e-xamit answers, and see how the mocks turn out. I tried asking him stuff before but he doesn't want to know, he's just said my answers were too short even when they were word for word identical to his sample answers... Cheers, and Good luck yourself! :)

Advertisement