Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to this... Costs???

Options
  • 01-12-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All,

Am interested in taking up shooting as a lot of people I know have been doing it for some time and really enjoy it, when i ask them about the start up costs i can never get a straight answer so was wondering if anyone would know the range i'd be looking at. would be starting from scratch so we'll say an entry level shotgun, with everything else(safe, licence, etc) no need to account for club membership as I know that already. any tips on good deals are welcome too ;) north leinster area.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Entry level shotgun - €550 new (less second hand)
    Safe - €100 (2-3 gun safe)
    License - €80 (for 3 years)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

are you including decent wellies, coat, jacket, pants, gloves, boots, hat etc..? add a nice bit more for some of them essentials

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Sportsden.ie in Navan, Simon will answer all your needs he is the cheapest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭McGaz23

ezridax - a second hand gun is what im going to go for first of all until i have spent some time shooting and am used to it.

garv123 - Yeah i know what you mean all the extras they ill prob add up but I suppose only some of them are essentials for startin off?...

macadam wrote: »
    Sportsden.ie in Navan, Simon will answer all your needs he is the cheapest around.

Thanks Macadam, know the shop will pay them a visit in the near future!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

dont for get the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

25 euro for the "competence" course

dont for get the dog

Not investing in one for a while... friends that ill be out with have a few so wouldnt need one straight away. but in the long run yes defiantly would like my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

McGaz23 wrote: »
    ezridax - a second hand gun is what im going to go for first of all until i have spent some time shooting and am used to it.

garv123 - Yeah i know what you mean all the extras they ill prob add up but I suppose only some of them are essentials for startin off?...

id say all of that list would be essential in this weather but maybe not by the time the licence arrives and your ready it might be improved weather conditions by then. i myself am in the same position and i go out but only someone else who owns the gun. ive already bought some stuff like pants and decent gloves. on ebay. wasnt too dear and the pants are really warm and not real heavy.
    if you have dark fleeces there also a good substitute starting off. (seen real cheap ones in heatins and my father swears by them for been good working outside wearing them under his overalls.)

i do get cursed at for arriving goin shooting with the lads in my black or navy hoodie with a big massive white tick on the front of it:D

so in a nutshell in decent weather you'd be grand in a decent fleece and pants and wellies if it was mucky.

garv123 wrote: »
    id say all of that list would be essential in this weather but maybe not by the time the licence arrives and your ready it might be improved weather conditions by then. i myself am in the same position and i go out but only someone else who owns the gun. ive already bought some stuff like pants and decent gloves. on ebay. wasnt too dear and the pants are really warm and not real heavy.
    if you have dark fleeces there also a good substitute starting off. (seen real cheap ones in heatins and my father swears by them for been good working outside wearing them under his overalls.)

i do get cursed at for arriving goin shooting with the lads in my black or navy hoodie with a big massive white tick on the front of it:D

so in a nutshell in decent weather you'd be grand in a decent fleece and pants and wellies if it was mucky.

:):):) thanks for that I will keep the white ticks in mind and outta site ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Duffys of Galway had an offer going there a while ago not sure if it still is going but it was a new baikal o/u, 250 cartridges, gunslip and belt I think for about 450 off the top of my head. That is a great deal for a beginner and a baikal shotgun is a good choice as they are very reliable and robust and should not let you down.

Advertisement