Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying a knife on ebay

• 02-12-2010 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

is it legal for me to buy a folding knife from the states on ebay?
    i have no intention to carry this on me its just a collection piece
    if i can buy it is there a limit to the blade lenght, the blade on this particular knife is 3 1/2"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Can't find anything on specific lenghts maybe some of the others can help with that. but the section in bold below should answer your question.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0009.html#zza12y1990s9

more here
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/index.html
    Part III Section 9

the law of the land Firearms and offensive wapons Act 1990 section 9

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any
    public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is
    sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under
    subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having
    the article with him in a public place. ( this covers as was mentioned gutting a fish , Eircom guy cutting cable on the road side etc)

4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of
    proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place—

( a ) any flick-knife, or

( b ) any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury
    to or incapacitating a person,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) Where a person has with him in any public place any article intended by
    him unlawfully to cause injury to, incapacitate or intimidate any person
    either in a particular eventuality or otherwise, he shall be guilty of an
    offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

FAQ - see questions 14 & 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

cheers lads that clears things up for me. i don't think i'll be buying the knife now as im not sure whether it falls under the banned category or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

declan1980 wrote: »
    cheers lads that clears things up for me. i don't think i'll be buying the knife now as im not sure whether it falls under the banned category or not

If part of a collection, I dont see why it would become a problem, unless your found to have it in a public place. Anyone can buy a folding knife from a local hunting and fishing shop with no problem.

Check with your local Gardai first just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shane102009

I am thinking of importing an ontario rat 1 knife from america for everyday use (cutting boxes, opening letters,cutting cable ties and bushcraft (uses like wood carving, whittling etc.) the problem is that this knife model has a 3 and 1/4 inch blade. does anyone know whether this will be let through to me without confiscation? I have no intentions of using this blade to harm another person whatsoever. fishing tasks may also be part of this knife's role. thankyou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

I am thinking of importing an ontario rat 1 knife from america for everyday use (cutting boxes, opening letters,cutting cable ties and bushcraft (uses like wood carving, whittling etc.) the problem is that this knife model has a 3 and 1/4 inch blade. does anyone know whether this will be let through to me without confiscation? I have no intentions of using this blade to harm another person whatsoever. fishing tasks may also be part of this knife's role. thankyou.

Yeah, the answer is still this ...
    BornToKill wrote: »
    FAQ - see questions 14 & 15.

Advertisement