Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts... Cork City

Options
  • 02-12-2010 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey everyone,

I always wanted to get into martial arts but I never had the time. Now I do.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any tips as to what type of martial arts I could try, as an absolute beginner, and what corressponding clubs in the Cork City area would be appropriate.
    Would really appreciate replies!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

http://www.corkcityjudoclub.com/

is a good one, they are based in Chríost Rí in turners cross! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I go to K2C in Blackpool. They do everything from beginners Karate and kickboxing to fairly intense boxing, thai boxing, Aikido and BJJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hey there - check out M.I.K.O, (on facebook)

M.I.K.O. Kickboxing Academy
    The Annex, Centre Park House, Centre Park Rd.

Chief Instructor: Paul Coffey

Tel: 086-2636472

Good Luck.

(Paul won a gold for Ireland last week in an International Competition).

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Hi OP,

what area do you live in? Something near to you would make the most sense. Trial and error is the best advice. A good club will offer you one or two free lessons and not push you to sign up immediately. So go along for a look, then join in once or twice to see how you feel. Just wear something like a tracksuit end.
    As a beginner, its very important to find a good instructor who will recognize your ability level and not push you to the point of injury. Most clubs have good websites, see who they are affiliated to. Does the class look like they warm up properly? Warm up/cool down, stretching - all important to avoid injury.

Lastly - whatever art you are interested in, there should be a specific 'adults' class i.e. over 16's at least. Training with kids is not optimal - for them or for you.

I've trained in both Karate and Tae Kwondo....PM me if you want more details. But I highly recommend Turner Cross TKD club (Mr Ken Leahy) or sister clubs in Passage West (Mr Paul Delea) or Togher (Mr Wayne Delea.) These guys are absolute professionals - and incredible to just go and watch!! :) I know of a good few Karate clubs too. You could also check out the Martial Arts thread on boards - great advice to be had there too.

http://www.turnerscrosstaekwondo.ie/

Best of luck and hope you enjoy it ;) Feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It's not a martial art, but fencing is interesting nonetheless. Based in Cork city with a smaller club in Carraightwohill.

www.cyranofencing.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

+1 for k2c or else check out the boxing clinic, http://www.theboxingclinic.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=2bc0ec6ab6f81df3ca771e969873a25c

They do boxing, bjj, judo, sambo & muay thai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Marcelo Archanjo

I am living in Cork City since march 2011, and as I have noticed there are many very good martial arts clubs here.

Traditional Eastern Martial Arts like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Aikido, Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu, Modern Wushu, Tai Chi Chuan ... Capoeira ... or Combat Sports like Sambo, Submission, Muay Thai, MMA, KickBoxing, Boxing, Sanshou .. and also self-defense like Krav Maga.

As a criteria for someone to chose one (or more than one) as a practice, I think that the most important is to know what you want with it and which of these you will like more to practice.

You can also practice a Traditional Martial Arts and at the same time practice a Combat Sport ... they are not incompatible.

You also can think about the kind of technique you will like more to practice: kicks and punches; throws; ground fighting.

I know at least one place where you can try a sample class: K2C Martial Arts & Fitness Centre, where I teach Kung Fu.

I hope this can help you chose a martial practice adequate for you.

Best regards

Marcelo Archanjo
    archanjo.org

Advertisement