Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to get to Dingle from kerry airport in Farranfore?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

is a bus eireann oneway for 12squid my only option here?

not hugely expensive I know, but I was actually thinking that I wouldn't mind taking a local kerry bus service (if there is one) because I won't be in any rush, and wouldn't mind at all being taken a longer route around seeing as I haven't seen the place before really.

...........anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

There's only one way from Tralee to Dingle at the moment anyway because Connor Pass is impassable (last I heard it was anyway), so any bus will be going the same route, by Annascaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Spadina wrote: »
    There's only one way from Tralee to Dingle at the moment anyway because Connor Pass is impassable (last I heard it was anyway), so any bus will be going the same route, by Annascaul.

+1 agree.
    Also, I found these pictures over in the weather forum to show the connor pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes - by public transport at this time of the year the only option is Tralee-Dingle via Annascaul. Great views of the mountains etc as the bus climbs out of Camp on its way to the summit at Gleann na Gealt and also on the very sharp bends between Annascaul and Lios Póil. Some of the buses from Tralee continue to the villages west of Dingle - varies according to the day of the week - if you want to take a quick look at Dún Chaoin, an Buailtín etc, but it doesn't give you any time to get off and look around. Bus stop is the up-turned currach/naomhóg near the harbour. (And it's +6C in west Kerry this morning! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

lottpaul wrote: »
    Yes - by public transport at this time of the year the only option is Tralee-Dingle via Annascaul. Great views of the mountains etc as the bus climbs out of Camp on its way to the summit at Gleann na Gealt and also on the very sharp bends between Annascaul and Lios Póil. Some of the buses from Tralee continue to the villages west of Dingle - varies according to the day of the week - if you want to take a quick look at Dún Chaoin, an Buailtín etc, but it doesn't give you any time to get off and look around. Bus stop is the up-turned currach/naomhóg near the harbour. (And it's +6C in west Kerry this morning! :D)

cheers for the details. very helpful.

would that be a buseireann bus or a different one?

also, isn't farranfore in killarney? ....do I have to get from there to tralee some other way before getting on a bus, or is there one that goes from the airport through tralee and on to dingle?

any info much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

cheers for the details. very helpful.

would that be a buseireann bus or a different one?

also, isn't farranfore in killarney? ....do I have to get from there to tralee some other way before getting on a bus, or is there one that goes from the airport through tralee and on to dingle?

any info much appreciated

Its' address is 'Farranfore, Killarney' but technically speaking Farranfore is approx 15-20mins drive from Killarney. All buses to Tralee though tend to stop in Farranfore village outide Aherns shop. The airport would be approx 8-10mins walk from the village (very straight-forward once you arrive) but some, not all bus eireann buses to Tralee, would take in the airport. If you are using bus eireann, they would originate in Killarney for Tralee, check with them regarding which ones go direct to Tralee and which might detour to the airport. Their would be a change in bus in Tralee then for Dingle.

When are you planning on travelling?

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Its' address is 'Farranfore, Killarney' but technically speaking Farranfore is approx 15-20mins drive from Killarney. All buses to Tralee though tend to stop in Farranfore village outide Aherns shop. The airport would be approx 8-10mins walk from the village (very straight-forward once you arrive) but some, not all bus eireann buses to Tralee, would take in the airport. If you are using bus eireann, they would originate in Killarney for Tralee, check with them regarding which ones go direct to Tralee and which might detour to the airport. Their would be a change in bus in Tralee then for Dingle.
    +1, especially about checking with Bus Eireann re which buses go via the airport. It's not too long a walk from the airport to Farranfore village but on the other hand if its wet, cold and windy and if you have a bit of luggage then it would be nice to wait for a bus going via the airport.

There's a nice little bus station beside the railway station in Tralee where you can wait for the Dingle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

kerry4sam wrote: »

When are you planning on travelling?

thanks for the details. appreciate it.

travelling december 29th or 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Sure no buses would go over the pass anyway seeing as it has a 2 tonne limit or so, no?

enda1 wrote: »
    Sure no buses would go over the pass anyway seeing as it has a 2 tonne limit or so, no?

True.

There is a Bus Eir service from Killarney to Dingle via Castlemaine and Inch but its summer only and not as frequent as the Tralee service.

Minibuses use the Conner Pass but I dont think any of the Kerry Rural Transport Link routes go "over the hill".

Advertisement