Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2. A bunch of money grabbing twits, right to the end.

Options
  • 02-12-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Firstly, Mods Please dont move this to consumer issues.
    I want this to remain in the mobile forms where people seeking advice on mobile carriers etc are more likely to come for advice and see it here.

Right, so, my story goes like this.

After looking into my astranomicaly large phone bills from O2 over a four-five year period, I looked into a better, cheaper carrier and came up with 3 Ireland.

They have drastically reduced my phone bills (by more than 60%) and imo provide a much better service than the halfwits running O2.

When I left O2, I informed them that I was moving to three, and that I wished to terminate my account, some of you may have read my previous thread on this saga, but anyhow, for those that havent I'll keep it short.

O2 sent me a final 'get out' bill of 18 monthsx 15 euro instead of 8months x 15euro (the remaining months on my contract. Therfor I was unable to settle my final bill until this had been credited.
    O2 agreed, and apologised that this was an error on their part and would refund me, which they did do, BUT, I then get a debt collectors letter threatening court action if I didnt pay O2's bill.

O2's representive on boards pm'd me wanting my mobile number, which I provided, she then came back and agreed that O2 had fudged up, and that they would settle for €200 to close account, and they would give me to the 7th of November to pay. (my bill should have been 8 x 15 = 120 + 197 for one months phone bill so 317 in total)

After numerous attempts at paying my bill by their customer care line, it kept telling me my final bill was 317€ and as I was unwilling to pay 117 more than we agreed I couldnt pay. Holding to speak to someone on the three times I called, seen me on hold for up to, and including 15 min periods to which I got frustrated and hung up.

O2's Representitive on boards then PMs me on Monday evening to inform me that 'as I hadnt paid the €200 they offered to settle the bill by the agreed date the offer was withdrawn'
    Now, for anyone wishing to see any of the pms, I can provide them, and there is NO mention of any offer being withdrew, and once again the only thing preventing me from settling the bill n the first place was due to someones incompetence by not reducing the final figure to 200 anyway, thus ensuring I could pay it.

I (angrily) pm'd Sheena back, asked her to show me where in her mail she had outlined to me any conditions needing to be met to pay within a time frame or the offer would be withdrew, I also told her that unless she came back to me with at least SOME form of a message by noon today (giving her just shy of 48hrs) I would create another thread highlighting there downright unprofessionalism and incompetence.

Havent heard a thing back!

Anyway, point of story is, called Centurion debt collectors today (whom sent me the letter in the first place) explained my email from O2 Sheena, and my reasons that it wasnt that I WOULDNT pay, it was more that I COULDNT pay.
    (due to it being more than we agreed)

They say they had nothing on file at all about the €200 offer being withdrew by O2, and accepted my payment by laser today.
    As far as they are concerned the matter is closed, and I will receive my receipt in writing this week.

Right to the end O2 you tried to screw me.

Never, ever, again! Just so you know, so far I have persuaded 4 of my colleagues, and 5 of my wifes family to leave O2 and go to three also!

The End

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Makes Ducky Sad:(
    512px-Rubber_duck.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Makes Ducky Sad:(
    512px-Rubber_duck.jpeg

There some balls of an outfit!

Did you get your phone on to 2.2 yet mate?

I've been on it since Sept, waiting on official update though, just to see if it improves the battery. This one couldn't be normal! (4-5hrs tops)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

i had a number of phones with O2 on release edge eur 10 per month earlier this year..

they had in the very very small print, that if you cancel within the 18 mth contract period, the cancellation fee would be 50 euro monthly X number of remaining months in contract. ( remember the monthly cost was only 10 euro)

i took delight in converting all of them back to PAYG and then porting out, under EU Reg 17.

thanks O2 :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ingen wrote: »
    i had a number of phones with O2 on release edge eur 10 per month earlier this year..

they had in the very very small print, that if you cancel within the 18 mth contract period, the cancellation fee would be 50 euro monthly X number of remaining months in contract. ( remember the monthly cost was only 10 euro)

i took delight in converting all of them back to PAYG and then porting out, under EU Reg 17.

thanks O2 :D

Can you give us some more info on this please. Is it an EU regulation to allow you to leave a mobile provider even if you are in contract. I didn't think it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Gucky wrote: »
    Anyway, point of story is, called Centurion debt collectors today (whom sent me the letter in the first place) explained my email from O2 Sheena, and my reasons that it wasnt that I WOULDNT pay, it was more that I COULDNT pay.

They say they had nothing on file at all about the €200 offer being withdrew by O2, and accepted my payment by laser today.
    As far as they are concerned the matter is closed, and I will receive my receipt in writing this week.

Right to the end O2 you tried to screw me.

Never, ever, again! Just so you know, so far I have persuaded 4 of my colleagues, and 5 of my wifes family to leave O2 and go to three also!

The End

fwiw i'm with 3,find customer service is great with anything techy but for general stuff don't bother.
    you can stick me down on that list,i was considering them but they can head on,not just because of 1 customer's complaint,because you reminded me of what goons they were when i had a bill phone with them about 15 years ago
    here's my problem,contract is up with 3,as i don't use phone much upgrade is worth f*** all,so i kinda have to move and get a new connection with e-mobile or meteor me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can you give us some more info on this please. Is it an EU regulation to allow you to leave a mobile provider even if you are in contract. I didn't think it was.

Only when the operator makes changes to the terms and conditions of your contract. They have give you 30 days notice of doing so, and your rights are to break if you dont accept this new terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

*shrugs* been with O2 4 years last month, never had one problem with them, and ive always found their support great to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi Gucky, I'm sorry, I am not on boards everyday and so I didn't see your PM until this morning.
    The agreement to close your account with a €200 payment was made in October and as agreed we extended the payment due date into November. You mentioned in your PM that you had forgotten to make the payment, unfortunately had I known that, even a couple of days before the end of November, I could have asked for more time on your behalf.
    You can make partial payments on our IVR, I'm sorry that you had issues with it. If you had let me know at the time I could have looked into it for you but I have passed on the feedback now to get it checked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Davy wrote: »
    Only when the operator makes changes to the terms and conditions of your contract. They have give you 30 days notice of doing so, and your rights are to break if you dont accept this new terms.

Yeah, I always knew that was the case. Just trying to figure out what he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yeah, I always knew that was the case. Just trying to figure out what he means.

I dont get ya?

When o2 changed terms, he convinced others to use the opt out and leave. Am I missing something? :o

• Advertisement

I dont get ya?

When o2 changed terms, he convinced others to use the opt out and leave. Am I missing something? :o

Nope, I thought you were saying something completely different. I get what you were saying now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Would you like some cheese with your whine OP?

testicle wrote: »
    Would you like some cheese with your whine OP?

Great contribution to the thread there testicle . (suitably named btw)

Unfortunately for me, the change of my contract escaped my attention until it was too late. I was caught, and so had to pay!

Don't know how o2 (among themselves) can't agree on what it is you actually owe them!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Last year O2 Ireland made a massive E4m operating profit per WEEK. Thats E202m in the full year.
    Source: http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/o2-rings-up-profits-of-4m-a-week-52451.html

They are raping Irish mobile phone users. The prices they charge here are far higher than in N. Ireland and Britain for the same service. vodafone are no better mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Ye o2 are ripping people off. The tariff im on is 40euro a month with unlimited data. They have now changed that tariff to 45 euro a month on 18mth contract and 50 euro on a 12mth contract. They have also cut the data allowance to 500mb. If i am to upgrade with o2 i will have to change and pay more for less which i will not be doing. I will prob port to 3 when my contract is up. My OH will be porting too.

O2 are a business, not a charity, theyre there to make money

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    O2 are a business, not a charity, they're there to make money

fixed that for you.

fixed that for you.
    Please dont do that

Please dont do that

fixed it again;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

O2 are a business, not a charity, theyre there to make money

Who said they were a charity, or charitable?

Mactard wrote: »
    Who said they were a charity, or charitable?
    Your complaining that a business is making money, quite a lot of it, isnt that the whole ideal of business, to make money?

Your complaining that a business is making money, quite a lot of it, isnt that the whole ideal of business, to make money?

No the complaint is that o2 are ripping people off. Plenty of businesses can keep their customers and still make a profit without, intimidation, gouging and trickery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

I would never touch 02 again,was a bill pay customer for 3yrs and my bills were massive,any disgrace in plan they lock you in.
    Gave them well over 4grand in this time,quit contract in oct when terms were up and switched to 3.
    Two wks later o2 sold me off straight away to a collection agency for 100 quid bill and never even sent me an invoice for this.
    Shower of b--tards steer clear of them,3 mobile my bill has more than halved

O2 has always served me well, but i find it funny how people pull the O2 Irl - O2 Uk comparison, but dont with Three, yet theyre probably closer related than O2 Irl and O2 UK

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Your complaining that a business is making money, quite a lot of it

I have made no such complaint at any time in this thread, could you highlight where you have perceived my complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

O2 has always served me well, but i find it funny how people pull the O2 Irl - O2 Uk comparison, but dont with Three, yet theyre probably closer related than O2 Irl and O2 UK

Closer related?

Sorry i ment the guy i originally quoted

Yes in that Three would have alot smaller of a workforce here than O2 as their call centre is in India or some place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

The days of people getting massive phone bills are gone. Mobile phones are an everyday part of life but with a recession its where people are now looking to save. o2 seems to have forgotten this by increasing tariffs and reducing what you get. Im with o2 8 years now and i have had no real problems till now. I will be due an upgrade next may when my contract is up. So basically if i upgrade with o2 i will have to sign a 18 month contract at 45 or 12 month contract at 50 euro a month instead of the 40 i pay at the moment for an inferior product/service. Thats what i am complaining about Gooch not o2 making a profit. Also there phone insurance is gone through the roof. i think for iphone 4 they charge 12.99 to Vodafone 9.99 and im not sure but i think 3 charge 8 euro.

Advertisement