Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nth. Strand (Coady's Cottages)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

If you go to the 1911 Census entry you mentioned it should also say "View Enumerators Original" (or something like that). You can view the house number in the 'Buildings' page.

Peter Carton was the head of 17 Coady's Cottages. They had three rooms and seven people lived there.

My great grandmother, Catherine Weldon, lived at no.4.

If you have any stories or information I'd be delighted to hear them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dublin_in_World_War_II
    "Around 2am on 31 May 1941 four German bombs dropped on north Dublin.....
    A fourth, which was apparently a landmine, fell in North Strand destroying 17 houses and severely damaging about 50 others, with the worst damage in the area between Seville Place and Newcomen Bridge."

Thats about 300 metres away, were the cottages damaged or destroyed in that raid?

Thanks for posting this, showed to my father who recognised some of the kids at 2:45 from Newcomen Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

My other grandparents lived on Charleville Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 leopardlady

Thank you so much neighbour! I'll be meeting up with family in a few weeks and will try find out if any stories. If the photo was taken circa 1911/15 then some of the people in the photo could be our ancestors! I'd love to see a bigger print and will try get a proper copy of it if possible. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

long time I know since this was posted - any chance Gravale you can post a pic of that Print with the Prince of Wales - Im an ex east waller and they would love to see that on their history page

Coadys Cottages were at top of the road I lived on in - I also have family living there in the 1850's so they were probably built for workers building the train line

• Advertisement

attachment.php?attachmentid=538129&stc=1&d=1609685515

another view of it

Advertisement