Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i hate it here....is it possible to transfer?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

heya, im not at all happy in UCD, i dont have any proper friends here so basically when i go home in the evening i stay in my room and watch tv. im living in digs and i dont really like them lol. i cant concentrate on my work because al i can think of is going home at the weekend.

how do i go about transferring to do my second year in WIT? all of my friends go there and i really want to do my second year of nursing there! also by continuing on my degree and not dropping out this wont affect fees will it? im currently not paying any fees at the moment

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

I'd say there are quite a few people in your situation. UCD can be somewhat isolating, particularly for first year students living in digs, I find.
    Believe me, I'm in the same boat.
    If you decide to stay with UCD, you should try joining clubs and societies at the start of next semester, or else simply start random conversations with the strangers sitting next to you in your lectures and see what happens. You will make friends eventually, if you soldier on. I've spoken to a lot of past students about this, and they all say the same thing - nobody really has many friends in first year except for the local kids who came to UCD with a group, but you'll form bonds and networks as time goes on.

As for transferring, you should probably contact the college as soon as possible if you want to set the wheels in motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

stacerz17 wrote: »
    heya, im not at all happy in UCD, i dont have any proper friends here so basically when i go home in the evening i stay in my room and watch tv. im living in digs and i dont really like them lol. i cant concentrate on my work because al i can think of is going home at the weekend.

how do i go about transferring to do my second year in WIT? all of my friends go there and i really want to do my second year of nursing there! also by continuing on my degree and not dropping out this wont affect fees will it? im currently not paying any fees at the moment

thank you

You're not the only one who is like that. If you join societies, go to their meetings and get talking to people you'll make more friends ... believe me, give it a try, you'll be more motivated then to do your work. There's a refreshers' day at the beginning of the 2nd Semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I would give it a bit longer before transferring. You might look back in 20 years and regret dropping out of UCD, so it is worth sticking it out. As the others say, there are lots of other people in your situation. I know that knowing that might not necessarily make you happier, but you are not the only person thinking like that.

In first year, it is common enough for people to think that everybody else is having a better time. Take the advice of the other posters, join societies that interest you. I know the there is a Nurse Soc, so you might meet other nurses you like there. Then other groups and societies will let you meet people from all around UCD. There is bound to be one that matches your interests. You could join one of the sports societies too. Some are pretty small and will guarantee you have things to do at night and will let you meet new people.

It is worth visiting your student advisor. This is their URL http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/index.html. They will be able to chat with you on a one-to-one basis and will bring you through your options. This is always the first step that people should take if they are thinking of withdrawing or taking a new course.

Hopefully that is some help, maybe some of the peeps here might organise a boards UCD beers and you could meet some of the weirdos here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I was in the same position as yourself in my first semester of UCD. Fortunately I got lucky by having a crazy social person in my Latin class.

Most of the advice people have given already is sound. Don't quit UCD just yet. Try joining some societies or clubs for things you really enjoy, that way you're going to find people who like the same things you do and make it easier to make friends. Heck, do what I do sometimes and start a random conversation with someone in your lecture.

If your situation doesn't work out, then in regards to transferring you'd have to contact WIT yourself and ask if they accept UCD transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DREWMUSIC

stacerz17 wrote: »

thank you

im a first year nurse, ill be yer mate :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement