Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteoalarm - Code Red for Ireland

Options
  • 02-12-2010 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

:eek: Have never seen this for Ireland before.

Can be seen currently on Met.ie homepage

Or is it an IMF/EU/ECB coded warning to the rest of Europe? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

code red ... we're in trouble

:eek: what did we do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

:eek: DANGER DANGER :eek:

The IMF said we were in the red so Cowen told Gormley to tell Met Eireann to warn everyone... Gerry Murphy did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Does this mean more Snow is on the way? I'm all up for a blizzard! :D

That said though, it'd be pretty bad if it was actually extreme enough to cause food shortages e.t.c.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Red The weather is very dangerous. Exceptionally intense meteorological phenomena have been forecast. Major damage and accidents are likely, in many cases with threat to life and limb, over a wide area. Keep frequently informed about detailed expected meteorological conditions and risks. Follow orders and any advice given by your authorities under all circumstances, be prepared for extraordinary measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Faustino wrote: »
    Red The weather is very dangerous. Exceptionally intense meteorological phenomena have been forecast. Major damage and accidents are likely, in many cases with threat to life and limb, over a wide area. Keep frequently informed about detailed expected meteorological conditions and risks. Follow orders and any advice given by your authorities under all circumstances, be prepared for extraordinary measures.

Jesus Mary and Joseph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Ooooo sounds scary. nom nom nom

Is that an exaggeration? I'd hardly call this snowfall worthy of code red. I thought that'd be reserved for catastrophic weather such as tornadoes and hurricanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

So basically were F*@ked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Is that an exaggeration? I'd hardly call this snowfall worthy of code red. I thought that'd be reserved for catastrophic weather such as tornadoes and hurricanes.

I agree, code orange at most, and this is the reason they give for the code red ...

"Very icy overnight and tomorrow. Further heavy snow showers also, mainly in the esat of the country."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Code red seems overkill. Also Friday is green, surely the front will come on Friday so why not make it yellow or something at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I feel that this is geared towards tomorrow night, a -20c is possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The snow is up to 2 feet deep in the South East. Where are you located?

The reason for the code red is available if you click on the map on met.ie -"Very icy overnight and tomorrow. Further heavy snow showers also, mainly in the esat of the country."

testicle wrote: »
    The snow is up to 2 feet deep in the South East. Where are you located?

The reason for the code red is available if you click on the map on met.ie -"Very icy overnight and tomorrow. Further heavy snow showers also, mainly in the esat of the country."
    I'm in West Dublin. The Snow is thick and driving is nigh on impossible but even so I highly doubt it justifies a code red.
    Danno wrote: »
    I feel that this is geared towards tomorrow night, a -20c is possible...
    :D We can only hope. Apparently Scotland is -25c tonight but for some reason I can't see that on any of the charts.

It does seem like overkill in fairness.. what i would be concerned about is how in the news they were saying we had huge supplies of grit but yet had started rationing it already to just main roads.

If this goes on for another few weeks I can see this becoming major issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm in West Dublin. The Snow is thick and driving is nigh on impossible but even so I highly doubt it justifies a code red.

:D We can only hope. Apparently Scotland is -25c tonight but for some reason I can't see that on any of the charts.
    No thanks! :) please come back rainstorms, all is forgiven. Just get rid of this stupid weather with its satan fluff

It does seem like overkill in fairness.. what i would be concerned about is how in the news they were saying we had huge supplies of grit but yet had started rationing it already to just main roads.

I'm predicting a "water shortage" in a few days or so just like what happened back in January. The perfect way to justify a water meter (Not that i'm attempting to imply that the government caused all this snow ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

what about the f~~~ing recession,Jabba(Cowen),Sloth(Harney) and the rest of them couldn't have planned this better

heavyballs wrote: »
    what about the f~~~ing recession,Jabba(Cowen),Sloth(Harney) and the rest of them couldn't have planned this better

I know.. you couldn't make it up really.

I shall be throwing snowballs with stones in them at Cowen et all if i get the chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

(Not that i'm attempting to imply that the government caused all this snow ;))

You mean you're implying that they didn't?:eek:

• Advertisement

Apparently they have 'ordered' a couple hundred ton of it.

But the roads are too icy, so An Post won't deliver it.

Apparently they have 'ordered' a couple hundred ton of it.

But the roads are too icy, so An Post won't deliver it.

:)

Actually i don't even think the UK are prepared for it either.. and if all supplies are used up would this mean that January and February would leave us all up the jaxi if it snows again?

:)

Actually i don't even think the UK are prepared for it either.. and if all supplies are used up would this mean that January and February would leave us all up the jaxi if it snows again?

To be honest, I never heard of a Snow forecast. I just seen it falling a few days ago and then it was all over the news. Had it been forecast?

I'm expecting snow in January, akin to last year, but December genuinely surprised me. This snow (in Drogheda, anyway) is much worse than last year.

Advertisement