Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM card confusion and query in australia

Options
  • 02-12-2010 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi folks

was wondering , if i can use my maestro laser card from bank of ireland in australia , and if it will work in shops as well as the cashpoints. also will there be a very high transaction fee taken out due to the fact that it is being done abroad, if so how can a person avoid a high percentage being taken or even any percentage taken at all . is it better for me to just get a visa or a mastercard because i heard that the transaction fee maybe lower . see im an air head when it comes to anything to do with banks i dont see a difference at all in the cards.

i would really appreciate as much information as possible on this matter , whether it be on the different types of cards itself out there or how to avoid being sucked dry everytime i take money out in australia

would it be better if i open up an Australian account ???

thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Are you going to be here on a WHV or Holiday Visa (3 month visa?

Your laser card will not work over here in shops, they use eftpos over here which is the slightly different so it doesn't work.
    Yes you will be able to withdraw money from ATM's and I know with AIB it cost E1.27 a go when I first came over.

If you are coming over on a WHV, I suggest you open a bank account with Commonwealth Bank or ANZ. I use Commonwealth Bank and they are excellent in my opinion. You can do it from home too and arrange to collect your bank card when you arrive. Costs about E20 to transfer over into your new account via your online banking at home.

Advertisement