Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Custom Case Mods On Retro Consoles

• 02-12-2010 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi again all.

I bought a new NES console base unit primarly because i wanted to mod it and either upgrade it to a stereo capable region free NES or gut it and recreate something i found online about building a mini pc into an old NES case and basically just operate as an emulator for NES and other Nintendo games.

Either way i want to spray it (like you would a car etc.) and then rebrand it with original NES script and new LED's etc. Has any one done this or could they offer advise?

Could anyone tell me where to get paint, sprayer and sealer for this?

If anyone has mods to there system post a pic so we can see.

Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hi again all.

I bought a new NES console base unit primarly because i wanted to mod it and either upgrade it to a stereo capable region free NES or gut it and recreate something i found online about building a mini pc into an old NES case and basically just operate as an emulator for NES and other Nintendo games.

Either way i want to spray it (like you would a car etc.) and then rebrand it with original NES script and new LED's etc. Has any one done this or could they offer advise?

Could anyone tell me where to get paint, sprayer and sealer for this?

If anyone has mods to there system post a pic so we can see.

Al.

I'd imagine most of us here wouldn't ever consider destrying a NES in order to fit a pc into it's case, and then emulate a NES with it. I really find that hard to comprehend , why not just buy NES games with the project money and play them on an actual NES?

Same goes for case mods really, why not get a jtagged 360 if it's just for emulators & spray the hell out of that? At least you'll be saving a vintage console from a hoffific death :(

Just my 2c

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Model shops will have all you want, there was one there on Bolton St if memory serves, but for that sort of investment you'd want to be doing more than one job.
    As for the project, plenty of guides onling to help you there.
    As for destroying a vintage console, you should be able to find a junk NES in the Sunday markets or charity shops, the nastier the better as you can clean it up without wondering if a simple edge connector transplant could've saved it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Model shops will have all you want, there was one there on Bolton St if memory serves, but for that sort of investment you'd want to be doing more than one job.
    As for the project, plenty of guides onling to help you there.
    As for destroying a vintage console, you should be able to find a junk NES in the Sunday markets or charity shops, the nastier the better as you can clean it up without wondering if a simple edge connector transplant could've saved it...

A Junk NES? No such thing man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Enhancing a NES to make it more compatible? Yes yes!

Going all Pimp My Ride on it? No no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I normally wouldn't like the idea of painting NES consoles, but I do like the ones Thretris (chiptune artist and console modder) does. He mods them for chiptune use but takes the opportunity of bling them up a bit. The Tron one is my favourite:

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Each to their own I guess but those NES mods look horrendous. I love the look of the NES untouched, it's one of the images that defines retro gaming for me. Especially the NES controller, gorgeous looking imo. :)

Those ones aren't really for gaming in your sitting room though, they'd be for the likes of Anamanaguchi, who might want something visually striking for shows etc. The Tron one would look pretty striking under lights at a gig I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

I have 3 NES consoles about the place (2 in house I stay in in work) and one here at home. I recently bout a faulty NES on eBay for ridiculously cheap to try fix and if I couldnt mod to look like a NES under my TV. As stated above i wanna spray it and make it unique. For no other reason than I can. As regards to comments of my defacing it. If it doesnt work Id just be throwing it out. Thats a waste of a nice pice of kit in my opinion.

So far my ideas are for blue LEDs (power button & inside cart deck) Outer console is going to be piano black with a shiny clear finish. If i can manage it all the original Nintendo txt will be reproduced in a nice navy or shallow blue that blends with the piano black but can be seen.

STATUS UPDATE ON BROKEN NES(Have metered the NES and reckon its not the 72 pin connector giving errors. Probably video output issue. gonna try get a yellow red cable from somewhere and see will that sort it or is it gutting time?)

Al.

Advertisement