Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

this is what i've been doing all morning :D

155919_10150099390676163_690711162_7892521_7631911_n.jpg

76129_10150099391176163_690711162_7892537_951675_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Starting to snow again in Lucan!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

In work have had constant snow from light to heavy since about 9:30 this morning and still coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Snow again in Lucan.

Very heavy HUGE snowflakes!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Starting to snow again in Lucan!

Heavy too, like someone turned the snow globe upside down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

haha zee germans (lufthansa) are anxious... again !!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

slingshot wrote: »
    In work have had constant snow from light to heavy since about 9:30 this morning and still coming.

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Does anybody here have any experience of living in another country during snowy conditions?. I was told by a friend who lived in New York and worked on the snowploughs that the snow we are having now would not slow things down anywhere near the extent that it does here. I heard that in Germany people are obliged to have snow tires for these conditions. I think it's amazing how the snow can cause such disruption in this country as aesthetically pleasing as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Another heavy blizzardy snow fall in Balbriggan. One of the best days so far for snow here. Dark clouds overhead as well so hopefully a bit to come yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just turned from fluffy snow to bursts of graupel in D14. Roads getting worse. The variance in peoples driving speed is interesting to watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Does anybody here have any experience of living in another country during snowy conditions?. I was told by a friend who lived in New York and worked on the snowploughs that the snow we are having now would not slow things down anywhere near the extent that it does here. I heard that in Germany people are obliged to have snow tires for these conditions. I think it's amazing how the snow can cause such disruption in this country as aesthetically pleasing as it is.

i'm from canada and have driven through some crazy blizzards... but people seem to be able to drive through that with no probs. there's always plows and gritters and the roads aren't that bad unless it's new years day and the city won't send out the troops lol

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭toilet_ducks

And the heavy snow starts again in Celbridge. Big fluffy flakes as far as the eye can see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I very jealous of all the people getting out of work early. there must be some good bosses out there. unfortunately I'm just going in now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

5224716584_db4d2d9cf3_z.jpg
    1-12-10 by boyle.brian, on Flickr
    5224119609_e37abef4c5_z.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ireland is not set up for snow because we receive relatively little of it. Authorities in New York or part of Germany can estimate with a good degree of accuracy that they will receive several feet of snow every winter season. Therefore they can invest in the equipment needed to keep things running.

If the government here spent millions on snow ploughs, grit, and brought in laws to make winter tyres mandatory in snowy conditions, people would go ape sh1t and say that we do not get enough snow here to justify having ploughs laying idle for 360 days of the year at such a great expense, etc., and that the money would be better spent on schools and hospitals and so on.

It is a no win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

Earlier heavy snow had reduced to a flurry but just had nice hail shower! Still light hail here.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    5224716584_db4d2d9cf3_z.jpg
    5224119609_e37abef4c5_z.jpg

Brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think with regards to tomorrow the roads will be frozen solid especially in the Midlands and East tomorrow morning and then sleet and snow will fall so a decent extra covering for many. Driving conditions even in Dublin will be extremely dangers tomorrow morning after record breaking lows for November tonight. However on West coasts this is likely to be rain albeit of the freezing variety away from the coast. It will clear tomorrow afternoon but temperatures will remain around freezing in the midlands, east and north for the day so it will freeze over again tomorrow night.

you can guarantee if ireland got this weather frequently that the irish would adapt to it and services would readily be available.

but it's a rarity to have such weather. i've lived here over 12 years and this is the BEST snow i've ever seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Big flakes again Newcastle Co Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Quite simply because we never had to deal with it. Why would we have snow ploughs, and huge resources set aside for snow conditions, when we rarely get snow?? (this is changing obviously).

Those other countries are used to having these sorts of conditions each winter, as they aways have.

Another nice snow shower in Dublin CC. I don't see an end to this any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

zkkf2a.jpg
    Slight sprinkling of snow in Adamstown as of this time. Roads are brutal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Another heavy blizzardy snow fall in Balbriggan. One of the best days so far for snow here. Dark clouds overhead as well so hopefully a bit to come yet.

Ok, this snowfall has gotton heavier if that's possible with thicker flakes of snow. Still doesn't look like stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

DAA says all flights into and out of Dublin Airport have been suspended because of the weather.

Very light snow in Sandyford

I just heard a plane there.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I've been in Oslo in Norway when they were caught out by an early snow shower in October. Many people hadn't changed to winter tyres, the council weren't ready to go with the gritters, seemed to be little different to a snow day here. My Norwegian relatives were telling me that once the snow is down for the winter they have no problems, but t is the first couple of days where disruption occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I went to New York about ten years ago and it snowed heavily there, nothing stopped and everyone just got on with it. Found out on the flight home we were being redirected to Shannon as Dublin was too snowy. It was a light dusting compared to New York.

However, I will say that New York is completely different place compared to Dublin. Straight roads, large population density and a long history of snowy weather. Our roads range from motorways to little windy roads in and out of estates, lower population density and for years we've had really mild winters. It made no sense to invest in snow ploughs that would never get used (until 2009/2010).

In saying that, I'm supposed to be flying to Bristol tonight and will be pissed if something isn't done about the airport!

wooo!! looks like a blizzard out there now! visibility reduced and very windy. snowing crazy
    (between naul & lusk)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Inbox wrote: »
    I just heard a plane there.:confused:

Only 4 more departures apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Snowing lightly again in Dublin 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

In Firhouse looking out the window...I'm threatening to go outside to measure how deep it is but I don't have wellies or boots high enough to keep the old legs dry.....
    My weekend in London is slipping further and further away :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement