Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Does anybody here have any experience of living in another country during snowy conditions?. I was told by a friend who lived in New York and worked on the snowploughs that the snow we are having now would not slow things down anywhere near the extent that it does here. I heard that in Germany people are obliged to have snow tires for these conditions. I think it's amazing how the snow can cause such disruption in this country as aesthetically pleasing as it is.
    This country was snowless between a decent fall in the winter of 2000/1 to Feb 2009. I think that might explain our inability to cope with snowfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Sadiemm wrote: »
    Don't forget, these type of snow conditions are very infrequent, as in once a decade. The last time saw snow like this was in 1982... if the county council all had snow ploughs and the ensuing costs associated with them and they only got used once every 10 years, there would be murder!..

Yes other countries have legal obligations to have snow tyres and change them from december to March but imagine, if they brought that in here! Every car has to keep 4 more tyres and change them, even though we might never see this type of weather again... If the weather continues like this they will have to bring something into address it but to expect the country to be able to cope with infrequent, inclement weather at the drop of a hat is ludicrous...

1st step would be to teach all the muppets out there how to drive in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Ok, this snowfall has gotton heavier if that's possible with thicker flakes of snow. Still doesn't look like stopping.

It's not sticking though. :(

Stopped snowing here now, blues skys and beautiful sunshine :)
    best of both worlds really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 réaltóg

Got caught in heavy hail in D2 a few mins ago. Light snow now. If anyone needs Dub Bus updates the website is working fine for me so let me know if I can help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

hasn't stopped in Kimmage since 11a.m. ranging from graupel to heavy snow

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Protip for Igloo building: Get yourself one of those plastic storage boxes that you see in Woodies or IKEA. Use it as a mould, by packing it full of snow to make 'bricks' to use for your igloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

o'connell street closed! gas explosion!?!?!? :eek:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1202/live_weather_transport_updates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Realtog: Any updates on 39/a ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

My runners from yesterday(D8)
    picture.php?albumid=1481&pictureid=8005

Cant find em today......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DAA, ther have to get the planes in the are too close too divert, same wit ones taking off.

one plane taxied to the wrong area and had to do a 180 in the snow! , the radio tower was like " exercise EXTREME caution please"

Pilots dont seem happy again! ... poor air traffic controller having to tell them all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Wibbler wrote: »
    Protip for Igloo building: Get yourself one of those plastic storage boxes that you see in Woodies or IKEA. Use it as a mould, by packing it full of snow to make 'bricks' to use for your igloo.
    that's how the eskimo's do it, those guys fcuking love IKEA!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

LadyW wrote: »

Operating normally as of update 1 minute ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

o'connell street closed! gas explosion!?!?!? :eek:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1202/live_weather_transport_updates.html

:eek: at the Kylemore Cafe I heard no injuries thank God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

i'm from canada and have driven through some crazy blizzards... but people seem to be able to drive through that with no probs. there's always plows and gritters and the roads aren't that bad unless it's new years day and the city won't send out the troops lol

Was in Michigan in 1999 during a massive Winter storm...temperatures at -32C and over 4 feet of snow and things went on as normal. Walked out of the hotel the first morning I was there in my normal Irish clothes much to the amusement of the hotel staff....ran back in 1 minute later as the moisture in my eyes and nose had frozen! It was agony.

They were used to it over there....proper clothing, snow ploughs and cars equipped for the job with winter tyres, chains etc. They would have some laugh at us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 réaltóg

LadyW wrote: »

From website which was updated at 12.54

39 Operating as normal.

39a Operating as normal.

Although my work colleague went to get their "operating as normal" bus this morning and it never showed up so beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Inbox wrote: »
    I just heard a plane there.:confused:

It must be headed for Dublin if you heard it over Dublin so!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

furtzy wrote: »
    Was in Michigan in 1999 during a massive Winter storm...temperatures at -32C and over 4 feet of snow and things went on as normal. Walked out of the hotel the first morning I was there in my normal Irish clothes much to the amusement of the hotel staff....ran back in 1 minute later as the moisture in my eyes and nose had frozen! It was agony.

They were used to it over there....proper clothing, snow ploughs and cars equipped for the job with winter tyres, chains etc. They would have some laugh at us :D

they do laugh for sure. they watch the news reports about weather here and the UK and they are like

LOL OMGWTFBBQ

but i tell them we're not equipped to deal with this weather.........yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Blue skies here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomskimc

Wondering what the main N4 to Galway road is like? Am planning to drive tomorrow. have 4x4 so that should help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Very heavy fluffy snow in Rathfarnham at the moment.

Have to go to a funeral removal at 5:eek: Was supposed to travel to Tipperary on Sat morning for the burial, looking unlikely now.

And OT but just heard that the Andrex puppy has been fired, to be replaced with a CGI version - damn recession, for some reason that made me cry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Issued at 02 December 2010 - 12:54
    Severe Weather Warning

Snow showers will continue in eastern counties until early Thursday night, giving further accumulations of 3 to 8 centimetres. Severe or very severe ground frost will then set in countrywide and ice will persist on untreated surfaces.

A band of precipitation, spreading southeastwards across the country later Thursday night and Friday morning, will fall as snow in many areas before clearing southeastern counties early Friday afternoon. Additional snow accumulations of 5 to 10 centimetres will occur in many areas, with mountainous regions recording a further 10 to 15 centimetres. Wintry showers will follow in the north and west, some falling as snow; widespread sharp to severe ground frost will set in Friday evening, resulting in ice formation on untreated surfaces.

Valid until 20:00 hours Friday 3rd December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

snow beginning to fall again in Finglas. Getting heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fitefuaite

I really hope that the snow predicted for tomorrow turns out to be actually snow and not just sleet...

Could be a major dumping of snow on us if it is cold enough in the midlands....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Oh, saw tiny patch of blue sky 25 mins ago and thought snow was over. Now it's picking up again, finer this time, and sky is strangely bright. Is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

My runners from yesterday(D8)
    picture.php?albumid=1481&pictureid=8005

Cant find em today......

Did you not consider taking them in at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sunny here at the moment in Dublin 15. I can see dark clouds to East, may pass over here again with a fresh bunch of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sparkles78

Balbriggan just got a blizzard there about 5 mins ago, seems to have stopped for now..... kids were amazed by it all :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, my flight is going to be delayed, if not cancelled. Do i still need to check in for the original flight time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Baltinglass looks like a scene from the movie "The Day after Tomorrow". Can't find the cat and the Bin people just texted to say they will make their collections today, but as the snow is higher than the top of my wellies... agh shag that. I want this to end now...too much of a good thing. No social life, no work, no SKY TV,too much Joe Duffy, going stir-crazy. Sympathies on the cherry tomato tragedy though, I feel your pain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement