Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

And then there was hail.. followed by light snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yoji101

Very heavy in IFSC now.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ seems to indicate that it may ease up for a while though shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Still coming down in D2.
    Fluffy stuff now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Elnin09 wrote: »
    Issued at 02 December 2010 - 12:54
    Severe Weather Warning

Snow showers will continue in eastern counties until early Thursday night, giving further accumulations of 3 to 8 centimetres. Severe or very severe ground frost will then set in countrywide and ice will persist on untreated surfaces.

A band of precipitation, spreading southeastwards across the country later Thursday night and Friday morning, will fall as snow in many areas before clearing southeastern counties early Friday afternoon. Additional snow accumulations of 5 to 10 centimetres will occur in many areas, with mountainous regions recording a further 10 to 15 centimetres. Wintry showers will follow in the north and west, some falling as snow; widespread sharp to severe ground frost will set in Friday evening, resulting in ice formation on untreated surfaces.

Valid until 20:00 hours Friday 3rd December 2010.

About time that they finally give a warning to the system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We have almost a foot of snow in Dunshaughlin, it looks great, its what we've always wanted but I dont think we need anymore now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

ongarite wrote: »
    Where is this in Ratoath. From there originally, with the snow cant see a landmark anywhere?

A little outside Ratoath. Don't want to say where exactly.

Decided to go home anyway.. then the sun came out :rolleyes:

Fair play to these guys from the Army tough. At least some people are getting some work done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

yoji101 wrote: »
    Very heavy in IFSC now.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ seems to indicate that it may ease up for a while though shortly.

It also indicated there'd be no snow on Tuesday night!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

sing_dumb wrote: »
    Baltinglass looks like a scene from the movie "The Day after Tomorrow". Can't find the cat and the Bin people just texted to say they will make their collections today, but as the snow is higher than the top of my wellies... agh shag that. I want this to end now...too much of a good thing. No social life, no work, no SKY TV,too much Joe Duffy, going stir-crazy. Sympathies on the cherry tomato tragedy though, I feel your pain.
    More than likely just snow on the transponder on your dish. I had to clear mine 5 times yesterday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    So, my flight is going to be delayed, if not cancelled. Do i still need to check in for the original flight time?

They said on rte news Dublin airport is closed and will take about 4 hours to clear runways.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

sing_dumb wrote: »
    Baltinglass looks like a scene from the movie "The Day after Tomorrow". Can't find the cat and the Bin people just texted to say they will make their collections today, but as the snow is higher than the top of my wellies... agh shag that. I want this to end now...too much of a good thing. No social life, no work, no SKY TV,too much Joe Duffy, going stir-crazy. Sympathies on the cherry tomato tragedy though, I feel your pain.

Just saw on TV here that someone else's SKY TV was not working but when they went out and brushed the snow off it, it started working again...just a thought to try!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Kiith wrote: »
    So, my flight is going to be delayed, if not cancelled. Do i still need to check in for the original flight time?

If your checking in online you can do it anytime. If you're talking about going to the check-in desk you should be fine with the usual 2 hours before the rescheduled flight takes off. Best ring them up though to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Did you not consider taking them in at any stage?

They needed a wash anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ongarite wrote: »
    Sunny here at the moment in Dublin 15. I can see dark clouds to East, may pass over here again with a fresh bunch of snow.

Not for long, lots of bug fluffy flakes at the mo. It's practically been snowing all morning, I'm in and out putting stuff out for the birds and each time I go back out again my previous foot prints are covered. It's quite deep too, more so than the snow earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Blizzard in Dublin 15 now (hartstown)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

nnnnnnooooooooooooo my beautiful snow is melting fast:eek: just went out the back garden and a big lump of snow slid off the roof, just missed me by inchs:P

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

And not to mention, both weatherbug and met.ie seem to disagree with it regarding wind direction :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

thomasj wrote: »
    Blizzard in Dublin 15 now (hartstown)

Same up here in Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15. Coming down very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Very heavy powdery stuff. Very poor visibility, maybe the poorest I've seen of the spell so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A little outside Ratoath. Don't want to say where exactly.

Decided to go home anyway.. then the sun came out :rolleyes:

Fair play to these guys from the Army tough. At least some people are getting some work done today.

Ah fair play to them indeed!... anyone know if the concils changed there mind about given grit to the public for islolated towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Anyone know what it's like in Ballsbridge? My wife is going to an event in there later tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

That guy on RTE news (tv) said at the meeting they said it was the beginning of a thaw and Dublin bus didn't expect any problems today. A lot of counting of chickens before they hatch. Going to get very cold this evening a roads will freeze over. We'll see if Dublin bus make it through to last bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Wind has finally gone North-West again here and the temp is plummeting, pitty we're now in the IOM shadow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Another huge blizzard in Castlknock, smile.gifDublin15....at least a foot in the garden now... and some drifts around cars of about 40 centimetres or 18 inches:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Snowing in ballsbridge but fine, not sticking on roads.....but if temp drops it will be lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Big melt here in Arklow.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Does anybody here have any experience of living in another country during snowy conditions?. I was told by a friend who lived in New York and worked on the snowploughs that the snow we are having now would not slow things down anywhere near the extent that it does here. I heard that in Germany people are obliged to have snow tires for these conditions. I think it's amazing how the snow can cause such disruption in this country as aesthetically pleasing as it is.

I don't know man.

I lived in Boston for a decade and even it shut down when it got (relatively) horrible.

Now, of course, Boston gets SEVERAL feet of snow every winter and HAS to be prepared for it! So that means lots of plows and salt... but c'mon, the budget to clean Boston of snow is MILLIONS and MILLIONS.

You sure you wanna invest that money here, into something that happens once every 15 years or so...?

All that would happen is a big contractor would find a way to spend that money, even when there's no reason (in Boston you'd see them salting roads when snow wasn't forecast - cha-ching)...

This system isn't perfect and snow is annoying, but it's just a couple weeks out of the year.

IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

That (rain today.uk) has been spot on. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

O'Connell St closed after suspected explosion

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1202/oconnellst.html

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Does anybody here have any experience of living in another country during snowy conditions?. I was told by a friend who lived in New York and worked on the snowploughs that the snow we are having now would not slow things down anywhere near the extent that it does here. I heard that in Germany people are obliged to have snow tires for these conditions. I think it's amazing how the snow can cause such disruption in this country as aesthetically pleasing as it is.

I think we have to remember that those countries are more used to it have have developed responses to it over the years. We don't get this often. I'd say if the country spent a fortune to be ultra prepared for rare events like this then we would be complaining about the waste of money for something that hardly ever happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

trogdor wrote: »
    Wind has finally gone North-West again here and the temp is plummeting, pitty we're now in the IOM shadow!!

Definitely no bloomin' shadow in Dublin CC or D11 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement