Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

That (rain today.uk) has been spot on. :confused:

In Dublin :)

We got lashed out of it over night on Tuesday night. I woke up to about a foot more snow on Wednesday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Starting to snow again in Lucan Village, big clouds after moving in overhead after a bit of clear sky and sunshine.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Heavy snow in Rathfarnham again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

in kentstown meath. snow is upto 13 inches and dug the car out. the n2 and m2 dont even have lanes visible on them. very snowy and slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Wow , HUGE snowflakes falling ii Killester/Raheny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rain forecast in Leinster from tomorrow midday on RTE there. The end is in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I'm half expecting Dennis Quaid to come on the tv and tell us its the beginning of an ice age!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I remember it snowing slightly in Paris CDG and they had delays!!!. Dublin is having massive snowfalls so get real...there are feet of it in some places and this has been going on since last Friday..where are you from..Cork???:):):):) and Dublin airport is getting very used to heavy snowfalls based on the pas few years experiences...

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    I don't know man.

I lived in Boston for a decade and even it shut down when it got (relatively) horrible.

Now, of course, Boston gets SEVERAL feet of snow every winter and HAS to be prepared for it! So that means lots of plows and salt... but c'mon, the budget to clean Boston of snow is MILLIONS and MILLIONS.

You sure you wanna invest that money here, into something that happens once every 15 years or so...?

All that would happen is a big contractor would find a way to spend that money, even when there's no reason (in Boston you'd see them salting roads when snow wasn't forecast - cha-ching)...

This system isn't perfect and snow is annoying, but it's just a couple weeks out of the year.

IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Rain forecast in Leinster from tomorrow midday on RTE there. The end is in sight.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Far too cold for rain at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RTE has called rain for tomorrow and a thaw with temps around 5C at the weekend, Today is the last day of it, we may as well all make the most of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

What will a change in wind direction do? where will it be headed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

trogdor wrote: »
    Wind has finally gone North-West again here and the temp is plummeting, pitty we're now in the IOM shadow!!

I've noticed that here too, will the change in wind direction have any impact on where the showers are heading??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Starting to snow again in Lucan Village, big clouds after moving in overhead after a bit of clear sky and sunshine.

It's absolutely pelting down up by me now (Lucan).
    I thought we were over the worst of it about 20mins ago when the sun was shining! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Snowing very heavy here in Wexford town. Showers have been drifting in all morning. This is the heaviest yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Absolutely bucketing down now in Lucan Village, MWAH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    RTE has called rain for tomorrow and a thaw with temps around 5C at the weekend, Today is the last day of it, we may as well all make the most of it!

That is very funny cos listening to the Radio forecast at 12.55 they were saying another 15cm in midland and eastern areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Have just spent half an hour trying to get the postman off the drive. was well stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Just heard on the radio that there's gonna be another huge dump of snow, freezing fog and temps as low as -11degrees here in Leinster today. Driving on the N81 is merely a poignant, wistful memory for me now. Great!
    Then we have the Budget next tues to look forward to....
    Thanks for you helpful SKY TV suggestions, but lads, how in God's name am I supposed to shimmy up to the chimney to do that, when going outside to put the bin out is akin to conquering Mt Everest?? No Judge Judy for me today....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw that,they're giving a tropical 5c for Wexford,had to dig the car out earlier.We've had sunny spells and heavy snow showers all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

its actually snow forecast for leinster tomorrow, not rain. It went up on met eireann website a couple of hours ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

That is very funny cos listening to the Radio forecast at 12.55 they were saying another 15cm in midland and eastern areas!

rte seem to just make up stuff anyway :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

hmmm... I wouldn't believe that JUST yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Gonzo wrote: »

I hope they have put their usual jinx on it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Massive snowfall? Are you serious?
    Yesterday VERY little snow fell at the airport. Granted today there's been a lot in the last couple of hours. "massive" is an exaggeration.

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I remember it snowing slightly in Paris CDG and they had delays!!!. Dublin is having massive snowfalls so get real...there are feet of it in some places and this has been going on since last Friday..where are you from..Cork???:):):):) and Dublin airport is getting very used to heavy snowfalls based on the pas few years experiences...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CuteOne

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

In Dublin :)

We got lashed out of it over night on Tuesday night. I woke up to about a foot more snow on Wednesday morning.

I was sitting here watching the radar showing that very snow building in the Irish sea and then heading for and reaching Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Heaviest snow of the spell here right now. Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I've noticed that here too, will the change in wind direction have any impact on where the showers are heading??

Nope it's just the surface wind, it will just make coastal areas which were being warmed by the sea winds chill off a bit. It may also setup a convergence zone just off the coast and serve to enhance the shower activity further. The winds that are driving the showers should stay roughly the direction they're at now i think, maybe swinging a bit further North.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

sing_dumb wrote: »
    Thanks for you helpful SKY TV suggestions, but lads, how in God's name am I supposed to shimmy up to the chimney to do that, when going outside to put the bin out is akin to conquering Mt Everest?? No Judge Judy for me today....

Throw spuds at the dish. Might knock some snow off and it'll keep you occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I watched the RTE forecast - I never heard rain mentioned? They said it would fall as snow, hail or sleet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement