Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

Bucketing down in Lucan. I was supposed to meet someone in town today too. Im itching to get in. Stir crazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Another deluge here in Blanch. Hoping to get the nod to leave soon.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Light snow in Leixlip has been on and off all day...this doesnt look as if its going ANYWHERE!I wouldnt say any guarantees we'll be back in work for Monday ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

rte seem to just make up stuff anyway :rolleyes:

They also said DCU reopened at noon, in fact it is closed until 10am tomorrow at the earliest! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Just saw the weather ..rain from outh east leinster but snow for wicklow, dublin area and 5 or 6 degrees for wexford/waterford and 2 or 3 for Dublin.
    I cannot see it snowing in Waterford..it normally does not snow down there..similar to Devon/Cornwall/Brittany in Northern France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yep DCU closed until tomorrow at least...

"In the interests of the health and safety of our students and staff, the campus will remain closed today, Thursday 2nd December until 10.00am tomorrow, Friday 3rd December due to severe weather conditions. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Incredible snowfall here!

The sentiment on the news seemed to be that today was better than yesterday, but not here. Snow is much more frequent and heavier today than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

so basically what RTE said was that temperatures would reach highs of 5 degrees in South west with possibility of Rain/Hail,However it will remain very cold for the majority of Ireland with heavy snow for the Midlands so no the end is not in sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

snow still falling here in tallaght, varying from heavy to light.

picture from eariler here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I'm not one for Bashing Met.ie but they have made a balls of it- they said Tuesday would be bad- it wasnt. Not much hype wednesday- it lashed snow in Dublin and most eastern parts. They cant make there mind up on tmro- They did say Rain for the east tmro- and has a ig cloud of rain over dublin- but on met.ie they have a heavy snow symbol- Between RTE and Met Eir they contradict each other. THey can predict Rain when its Raining- Snow - they havent a clue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 richers86

rte seem to just make up stuff anyway :rolleyes:

They had a report yesterday on the 1 o'clock news from Dungarvan (where I am), saying there was a blizzard here, there was nothing but blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Do you think this house needs more insulation in their attic:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

fiacha wrote: »
    Throw spuds at the dish. Might knock some snow off and it'll keep you occupied.

Throw snow balls at it? Less risk of damage...(to either spuds or antenna)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Finally, finally, finally the ground is white again in Donabate. Not much but it's still lightly snowing and complete cloud cover overhead so hopefully will pick up again. Change in wind direction around 12 made all the difference in getting out of the dreaded IOM shadow. Hopefully Irish Sea bubbles up a bit more for the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    Have just spent half an hour trying to get the postman off the drive. was well stuck

Set the dog on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

dublin airport closed till 17:30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Airport closed till 1730 (just heard on air traffic controllers feed)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Isle of Man shadow seems to be aimed at north wicklow at the moment, not getting much out here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I've never seen snow as heavy as what is falling in Lucan Village now, absolute whiteout!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

rsom wrote: »

Is it South facing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I'm not one for Bashing Met.ie but they have made a balls of it- they said Tuesday would be bad- it wasnt. Not much hype wednesday- it lashed snow in Dublin and most eastern parts. They cant make there mind up on tmro- They did say Rain for the east tmro- and has a ig cloud of rain over dublin- but on met.ie they have a heavy snow symbol- Between RTE and Met Eir they contradict each other. THey can predict Rain when its Raining- Snow - they havent a clue

RTE gets its weather forecast from met eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Tapering off now.

Pic from about 5 mins ago. Hard to capture fall snow in stills, but trust me, it was heavy!

http://i.imgur.com/RMoce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Is it South facing?

No...East. Compare it to the roofs of the houses next door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

coming down very very heavy in Tallaght all morning no let up and the sky is pure white. Lots more to come I'd say,we are very close to being snowed in here ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

RTE gets its weather forecast from met eir.

I know- thats what i meant- they contradict each other though they are meant to ahve the same forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I've never seen snow as heavy as what is falling in Lucan Village now, absolute whiteout!

Hopefully heading this direction then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

What's that bright yellow thing in the sky?

It's hurting my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

At the airport at the moment. It's just shower after shower of graupel. With a max of 5 minute breakes in between. Visibility is terrible, can't even see the runway from the roadside. Last couple planes taking off kicked up huge clouds of snow. Others can't find their way back to the terminal. Airport is now closed until 5:30pm with all incoming flights being diverted. Driving conditions getting steadily worse too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Same up here in Finnstown area - fabulous snow.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

rsom wrote: »

They might grow plants up there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement