Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I saw a car with chains - or some sort of grip-providing covers - on yesterday, and thought it was a good idea. But you would have to jack the car to put the chains on, and there is no way I would be able to do that these days, though in my youth I would have given it a good try :D.

So, since the snow is not all that predictable, it could be a sprinkle that doesn't settle, or it could be like this, how would you go about getting snow tyres/chains fitted?

That's a serious question, I would consider it, but it would be impossible to get the car to a place where they could be fitted, since the snow started.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭leroythelegend

mal48 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what roads are like driving from Newlands Cross to Athgarvan. Thanks for any info.

Hi Mal, Good bit of snow in Athgarvan, main roads are fine. Only problems might be the hills in Athgarvan but people are getting around fairly ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Been snowing consistently, at varying heaviness, in D13 for the last two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

cant see the neighbors house properly its coming down so much in D4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Sun shining in Greystones, minor thaw in effect although theres is so much snow from yesterday that there isnt any noticable difference in the depth. Roads have been ploughed and gritted and are safe to dirve on (well done those in power). Estate roads will be treachorus again in the morning though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

anyone check out http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    Oh God! so should I cancel going to Limerick in the Morning?

Possibly; get back to me later and I'll give you my definitive call on it. Okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daveee

would i be right in thinking this is heading Ratoath/Ashbourne way?
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

looksee wrote: »
    I saw a car with chains - or some sort of grip-providing covers - on yesterday, and thought it was a good idea. But you would have to jack the car to put the chains on, and there is no way I would be able to do that these days, though in my youth I would have given it a good try :D.

So, since the snow is not all that predictable, it could be a sprinkle that doesn't settle, or it could be like this, how would you go about getting snow tyres/chains fitted?

That's a serious question, I would consider it, but it would be impossible to get the car to a place where they could be fitted, since the snow started.

You DRIVE ONTO snow chains, essentially... there's also a kinda disposable (I think) tire snow glove that's all the rage...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dublin CC is bullseye for the streamer for the moment, our time has come at last!!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Kind of gone insane here - almost scary. Not sure if it comes across in pic taken 2 minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 daveee

just had a look .think were in for a decent fall for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

'Evening all! Today is definetly worse than yesterday in D4. No contest! The snow showers are a lot more sustained and heavier. I'll throw up a photo later so you can compare levels...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Uff. That streamer seemed to breakup just as it was about to hit here, looking at the radar. We had a little flurry. Seems like there's a more substantial aspect to it behind though...so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

God damn isle of man shadow is splitting the precip in two and nth Wicklow is right in the path.

kinda gone off of raintoday and switched to:

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

the sat loop seems to be (to me) more representative of what's actually hitting me... I like raintoday for thinking about the oncoming precip, but I don't like the way the radar (for obv reasons) disappears over the Irish sea...

They're both good though!

Still bucketing down in Rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    You DRIVE ONTO snow chains, essentially... there's also a kinda disposable (I think) tire snow glove that's all the rage...

Problem with that is then when you hit parts that are not snowed on. You'd be taking chunks out of the road, lol.

Ah no, I know you'd take them off then but the hassle of that - just be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I can see that big huge cloud making its way down south towards Lucan Village! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

15:00 frame on raintoday is a predicted one FYI. Thats why it seems so intense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Goin by the radar, is arklow going to get snow soon??? Or are we still in the IOM shadow:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Heavy snow showers every so often, there are breaks now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

I seriously thought it was going to less looking at this morning...but no...coming down like crazy in Crumlin...YAY!!! :D Feel like Christmas has come early...comeplete child I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Summery looking blue clouds over Gorey giving way to grey ones again,looks like a lot more to come!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mental in Ticknock, D18 the last few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I dont know which scares me more, that streamer coming right at me in D4 or the fact that M.T. got it wrong for once :eek::confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bucketing! :D 0.1c DP -0.6c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Depending on how they fit on, you might be able to drive onto them and then fasten them around the wheel. Pure guess though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wonger

Hey all .....

Need some advice, am sitting looking into an empty suitcase and dont know if i should pack or not. Due to fly tomorrow morning from Dublin to Manchester. Whats the chances of getting there or should i just forget it at this stage...

Many thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Bucketing! :D 0.1c DP -0.6c

Any way of estimating how long this might last, Doc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement