Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

so yeah, uhh, how about that weather?
    :D:D

cold here, no snow for hours. gritter's been.

Waiting to see when the next band of precip. comes here from the NW, what will it be? We're close to the atlantic, but it's coming from N-NW and over a good few miles of inland, covered with snow and at -7 -9 degrees... so I think we do have a chance. I expect to see some fresh snow in the morning, which can sadly turn to sleet or rain during the day, and melt some more tomorrow.
    Well, this is the west coast, eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

DDigital wrote: »
    For what? Expressing an opinion about other peoples opinion of the weather in an actual weather forum?

This is like a private members club that delights in armageddon, so I'll leave you all to it and do my best to get out to work tomorrow and keep the show on the road. I appreciate you have no control of the weather and its there to be enjoyed to some extent, but a semblence of respect for those affected by it might not make you look like a bunch of wasters that couldn't give a damn.

See ya, keep up with the positivity :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

seen a drop of snow in clifden

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temps finally dropping fast here in Waterford City, was worried there for a while being stuck around -1.5c for a few hours ( with tomorrow in mind, want it as cold as possible for when that front arrives ;)) now Temp -2.7c and falling.

Live Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

where is the ignore button i am fairly new to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I was in the New Super Tesco in Nass earlier on this afternoon ,

The had a lad on a quad bike with a plough on the front of it ,

After he got a good load of snow in the plough it stopped dead and started spinning .

Walking by , I realized they had not snow chains on it ! effectively pi$$ing in the wind.

Went in and done my shopping and the quad was parked outside the front door and a JCB with the bucket down flying along clearing the car park !

Surely this idea could utilized in other places too ?

It is, only the NRA don't appear to be doing it!

Private companies are using JCB and Tractors with plough attachments sucessfully. Travel the M3 and you wonder where the NRA ploughs are, travel into Navan and one wonders why the council aren't clued in.
    No wonder the coutry is in the condition it is and wasting the bloody salt on the loose fluffy stuff. Ploughs would be far better in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Iancar29 wrote: »
    SOME1 CALL FOR me?!... ha, i was up there yesterday man with the dogs!
    So ye , from what i can see is the IOM is blocking the small showers that are coming over the sea, then the winds are gonna start changing which will rid of them altogher . So ye noting until the early morning id say ( and hopefully it will be A GOOD ONE!) gonna go to bed soon to be able to get up early!
    I always see huskys up the field and i seen a good few up there yesterday, probably seen you up there :)
    Hopefully like today i woke up and the place was covered in snow, id say i have a good 4-5 inches of snow in parts of my garden, madness!
    Wanted to build an igloo today, but then anytime we built something it got smashed up so didnt bother!
    Id say this weather forum will be empty when the snow stops :P

For what? Expressing an opinion about other peoples opinion of the weather in an actual weather forum?

This is like a private members club that delights in armageddon, so I'll leave you all to it and do my best to get out to work tomorrow and keep the show on the road. I appreciate you have no control of the weather and its there to be enjoyed to some extent, but a semblence of respect for those affected by it might not make you look like a bunch of wasters that couldn't give a damn.

So basically you're saying we all should feel bad, because you think it's the appropriate thing to do at these times. Interesting.

BTW, why did you think he was thinking of you when he mentioned the ban-stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Waiting to see when the next band of precip. comes here from the NW, what will it be? We're close to the atlantic, but it's coming from N-NW and over a good few miles of inland, covered with snow and at -7 -9 degrees... so I think we do have a chance. I expect to see some fresh snow in the morning, which can sadly turn to sleet or rain during the day, and melt some more tomorrow.
    Well, this is the west coast, eventually...

it's meant to hit land soon isn't it?
    it will be very interesting indeed. dub airport says -5C at the moment with a windchill of -9C - i'm wondering if this front moving in will have an effect on temperatures. i just don't want to have freezing rain making things worse. i like the snow, but freezing rain wouldn't be very nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

:)Joke to brighten your day!

Everybody have a laugh and cheer up after reading this!

The Donkey

Young Paddy bought a donkey from a farmer for £100.
    The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day…
    The next day he drove up and said, ‘Sorry son, but I have some bad news. The Donkey has died.’
    Paddy replied, ‘Well then just give me my money back.’
    The farmer said, ‘Can’t do that. I’ve already spent it.’
    Paddy said, ‘OK, then, just bring me the dead donkey.’
    The farmer asked, ‘What are you going to do with him?’
    Paddy said, ‘I’m going to raffle him off.’
    The farmer said, ‘You can’t raffle a dead donkey!’
    Paddy said, ‘Sure I can. Watch me. I just won’t tell anybody he’s dead.’
    A month later, the farmer met up with Paddy and asked, ‘What happened with that dead donkey?’
    Paddy said, ‘I raffled him off.
    I sold 500 tickets at two pounds a piece and made a profit of £898′
    The farmer said, ‘Didn’t anyone complain?’
    Paddy said, ‘Just the guy who won.
    So I gave him his two pounds back.’
    Paddy now works for Anglo Irish Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

IF you would like to ignore anyone ,

Just click on there name and the option to ignore will be there .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Just in! Was out almost all day since this morning & had a fantastic time out there! Hundreds of people out, spirits are good and it's been snowing non stop all day & the snow is a foot in most places where I was in rathfarnham as well as carrickmines! I couldn't get over the accumaltions of snow today, unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

STFU and talk about the weather.

Anyone got the link to that other radar site? Not willitraintoday, the other one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I've always been interested in weather extremes and major snow falls would be one of my favourite events! However i'm also a big fan of boards weather and at least when the snow is gone we'll be left with the die hards. Touch of after Hours around here at present :rolleyes:

Well said Jerry :) Was thinking the same myself.

Agent_47 wrote: »
    It is, only the NRA don't appear to be doing it!

Private companies are using JCB and Tractors with plough attachments sucessfully. Travel the M3 and you wonder where the NRA ploughs are, travel into Navan and one wonders why the council aren't clued in.
    No wonder the coutry is in the condition it is and wasting the bloody salt on the loose fluffy stuff. Ploughs would be far better in the first instance.

whats really silly is fingal county council wasting salt a few weeks ago when we had no precipitation. they are very fast to get the gritters out here. it's up here on this road (country road btw) 2-3 times a day!
    it will be no surprise to me when they run out prematurely.
    you are right, ploughs would be better first - save the gritting for when we get a thaw followed by dropped temperatures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Many of us are affected by it - but we are choosing to make the best of what we cannot change.

If you want to moan and moralise at those who are trying to keep a positive outlook then so be it - but you are merely adding to the misery which is of no help to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

Some pics I took in between the snow showers. There are people still walking home on the Luas line from Central Park Luas stop onwards. Poor them. :(

137866.jpg

137867.jpg

it's meant to hit land soon isn't it?
    it will be very interesting indeed. dub airport says -5C at the moment with a windchill of -9C - i'm wondering if this front moving in will have an effect on temperatures. i just don't want to have freezing rain making things worse. i like the snow, but freezing rain wouldn't be very nice!

Well, someone is reporting -7 from Oranmore which I seriously doubt, but -6 in Tuam is promising:
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/
    We shall see. Too bad I have to work 2morrow so I don't think I'll stay awake until it all starts. Should be very early hours anyway, maybe 2-3-4 AM or even later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Read the thermometer outside about 25mins ago and it was -3, my iPhone app says it's now -5! Although it mightn't be quite accurate. That's in Parkwest/ballyfermot, no snow since 5pm but loads fell today.

I didn't go to work today but have to try tomorrow so I'm really hoping the trains and luas are running otherwise I'm stuck! It's the thoughts of trying to get home if it snows again that I really dread and being 8 months pregnant means walking home from town is not an option. Eek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

craggles wrote: »

Anyone got the link to that other radar site? Not willitraintoday, the other one
    Try Sat24

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Well I don't enjoy it and would like to remind you that an already demolished economy is suffering here. I don't know your personal situation, but expect lay offs in the new year as a result of this.

Don't be a fool. You can expect layoffs because of p*ss poor management of the government over a 10 year period, not 1 week of snow. Cop on. If you don't like snow don't bother looking at the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

craggles wrote: »

This one? http://www.sat24.com/gb

daisling wrote: »
    where is the ignore button i am fairly new to this

Click the person's username, and you'll see an 'ignore this user'.

I suppose on-topic, few roofs nearby have had mini-avalanches after a small bit have come off so I'm sure it's a potential injury to someone, watch out for it.

Well, someone is reporting -7 from Oranmore which I seriously doubt, but -6 in Tuam is promising:
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/
    We shall see. Too bad I have to work 2morrow so I don't think I'll stay awake until it all starts. Should be very early hours anyway, maybe 2-3-4 AM or even later.

you never know, it could be like last weekend - keeping us awake via thunder & lightning!
    and i see there it's 6C where that front is off the donegal coast... hmm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well said Jerry :) Was thinking the same myself.

I'm thinking rain for ourselves and Cork tomorrow morning from this front.
    What you reckon? I think the winds will turn south westerly for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Read the thermometer outside about 25mins ago and it was -3, my iPhone app says it's now -5! Although it mightn't be quite accurate. That's in Parkwest/ballyfermot, no snow since 5pm but loads fell today.

It was reported to be -5 at Dublin Airport at 10pm so it's probably accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

On topic guys or people will start getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Is it just me or are others finding this thread is completely off topic???? I like snow, I dont like snow, yor ma. It's getting like after hours. Can someone fix it?

Trogdor beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

They is talkin about THUNDERSNOW on the panel, so funny:)

• Advertisement

you never know, it could be like last weekend - keeping us awake via thunder & lightning!
    and i see there it's 6C where that front is off the donegal coast... hmm.......

Yeah but that's a buoy on an 11C water.... does not mean much.
    What I'm hoping for is the 4-8 cm layer of snow covering most of Connach N-NW from me: if the front comes from that way, the bitterly cold air (due to the snow and clear skies now) might chill low layers of air enough to allow snow for us to fall. If it was coming from W-SW we had zero chance due to the bay, but this way.. who knows!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement