Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

jarvis wrote: »
    Is it just me or are others finding this thread is completely off topic???? I like snow, I dont like snow, yor ma. It's getting like after hours. Can someone fix it?

No snow is obviously making everyone very antsy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Met says it's -5 but the car says -2 .. Who should I believe.. o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

jarvis wrote: »
    Is it just me or are others finding this thread is completely off topic???? I like snow, I dont like snow, yor ma. It's getting like after hours. Can someone fix it?

Yeah by starting a new one setting a title sticking to that title and moderating it*.

This one is a bit long anyway and with the potential for major snowfall tonight and tomorrow i think a new thread is needed.

*Not that this isn't already being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Local NRA station is reporting -8.8 and my reliable old mercury thermometer, sitting on the windowsill, is backing it up....brrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Read the thermometer outside about 25mins ago and it was -3, my iPhone app says it's now -5! Although it mightn't be quite accurate. That's in Parkwest/ballyfermot, no snow since 5pm but loads fell today.

I didn't go to work today but have to try tomorrow so I'm really hoping the trains and luas are running otherwise I'm stuck! It's the thoughts of trying to get home if it snows again that I really dread and being 8 months pregnant means walking home from town is not an option. Eek!

Jesus, 8 months pregnant! You shouldn't have to worry about things like that. Don't try tomorrow. Stay in bed. Some of you women are crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

any weather reports for the d13/17 area please.

joes girls wrote: »
    They is talkin about THUNDERSNOW on the panel, so funny:)

Awful awful show ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Dont feed the trolls. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Dont feed the trolls. Simple.

..not even with a Caffreys coconut snowball?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Currently -4.5 here, no showers tonight so snow getting crunchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

-10.9c here now. in other news, a swallow has decided to bed down just outside the front door. The poor thing must not have got to move to Africa for some reason. It's in the corner on the ground. Does anyone have any advice of what we could do to help? I'm sure the poor thing will freeze to death with the temps so low. We've managed to get a scarf half covering it. Currently thinking about putting it into a basket normally used for holding briquettes and putting a blanket over it and keeping it in the very warm house for the night. Would this be a good idea or would the scarf do the job, considering it has now just hit -11?!?!? Sorry for being off topic but I really want to help this poor bird :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Today, 22:36 #1840
    Banjaxed82

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by How Strange
    Read the thermometer outside about 25mins ago and it was -3, my iPhone app says it's now -5! Although it mightn't be quite accurate. That's in Parkwest/ballyfermot, no snow since 5pm but loads fell today.

I didn't go to work today but have to try tomorrow so I'm really hoping the trains and luas are running otherwise I'm stuck! It's the thoughts of trying to get home if it snows again that I really dread and being 8 months pregnant means walking home from town is not an option. Eek!
    Jesus, 8 months pregnant! You shouldn't have to worry about things like that. Don't try tomorrow. Stay in bed. Some of you women are crazy!

(4294967295) thanks from:

lol, Popular post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Yeah but that's a buoy on an 11C water.... does not mean much.
    What I'm hoping for is the 4-8 cm layer of snow covering most of Connach N-NW from me: if the front comes from that way, the bitterly cold air (due to the snow and clear skies now) might chill low layers of air enough to allow snow for us to fall. If it was coming from W-SW we had zero chance due to the bay, but this way.. who knows!

anything could happen i suppose! but remember yesterday RTE mentioned -17C for sunday... is this a return of the arctic air after this frontal system moves through? -17C seems a bit harsh!

i'm about 8 miles north of dub airport. my thermometer outside is reading -1.6C at the moment .. but airport says -6c now with -11C windchill. :confused:

yesterday we were in the IOM shadow up here but with the slight wind shift we got lamped out of it today. i do like the snow though!
    also, i like how the snow is bringing people together! of course there are a few bah humbugs about the place but generally people are happy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Cicero wrote: »
    ..not even with a Caffreys coconut snowball?:p

Don't waste them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Currently -4.5 here, no showers tonight so snow getting crunchy.

-6.2 in Carlow now

very crunchy and slippy

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

minus 7 by thermometer in my back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

joe stodge wrote: »
    any weather reports for the d13/17 area please.

No snow showers. They've been push out the the Irish sea by the front coming from the west. Snow 10 inches deep in some spots. Well be the last to get action from the westerly front. Hopefully it keeps up the momentum across land

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Yeh I wish! I rang in today and let's just say my reasons were met with a pregnant pause pardon the pun! Worse still my manager is a woman! Tryingnto save leave to finish early so this early snowfall is very inconvenient!

Loving the powdery soft snow atm but hoping to dear god we don't get that thawd/refrozen ice we had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

craggles wrote: »
    STFU and talk about the weather.

Anyone got the link to that other radar site? Not willitraintoday, the other one

I think this one is good - YR Norway is better than raintoday. It will cover what is coming in from the west as raintoday is very uk-centric which is grand if the weather is changing from the east. No zoom mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

highdef wrote: »
    -10.9c here now. in other news, a swallow has decided to bed down just outside the front door. The poor thing must not have got to move to Africa for some reason. It's in the corner on the ground. Does anyone have any advice of what we could do to help? I'm sure the poor thing will freeze to death with the temps so low. We've managed to get a scarf half covering it. Currently thinking about putting it into a basket normally used for holding briquettes and putting a blanket over it and keeping it in the very warm house for the night. Would this be a good idea or would the scarf do the job, considering it has now just hit -11?!?!? Sorry for being off topic but I really want to help this poor bird :(

Don't mean to ruin your mood, but there is no chance it will survive. You can't feed it, even if you had flies and bugs, it probably wouldn't eat.
    But try anyway, who knows... soon it's miracle time anyway :)

• Advertisement

Really nice to see people helping out the wildlife but i think you would get a better answer in the animal and pets forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

3hr-rain.gif

She is a comming.... 11 o' clock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Oh I would bring him into a warmer part of the house but not the warmest. He probably needs food and water too. There's probably not much you can do for him though. Well done for trying. Maybe put some food in his beak such as tinned dog food or similar.

Post here ASAP http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Do you think the weather will still be bad enough in west Dublin for schools to be closed by Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

_whiskers wrote: »
    Awful awful show ;)

Ah but the THUNDERSNOW made me think of everyone on here:P lost interest now, they not talkin about the snow anymore!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Tonight, in the sky, I saw about 5/6 orange lights - they looked like orange flares..possibly tied to balloons but it was too dark to see ...they were very strong and bright but grew dimmer over about 30 seconds...any idea are these some type of weather things ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

Vudgie wrote: »
    Walked from Dublin City Centre (5 mile journey home) as I literally couldn't get the car out of the car park. In Rathgar my saving grace pulled up beside me...a double decker bus. The driver got us to Templeogue and we all walked from there. I have to say the guys and girls driving the busses deserve a medal they really are daredevils to be out doing what they are doing.

The snow really is incredibly deep in Dublin 6 and all round.

I have to say there was a great sense of satisfaction helping motorists in Rathmines and it was much appreciated when that woman gave us a beep after we got her Suzuki Swift over Portobello bridge!!

from terenure down through harolds cross its just like any other night with traffic, cars tearing it up and down, up down up down. an accident will happen. saw a few cars getting pushed. any cars still out around this time might find find themselves getting caught out within the next 2 hours.

the morning should be fun, still, it wont stop chancers. we'd need 10,000cm for that to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Oh God, that's terrible. Try posting over in the Nature & Birdwatching forum. Someone over there should be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

If it does rain in the South tomorrow it could be lethal.
    People will assume all is fine, yet the ground will certainly not have had the time to warm up. Freezing rain at rush hour or will it be snow?
    I'm starting to think that rain would cause even more chaos!
    The Irish Met should be alive to this and should have warned tonigh that rain would likely freeze on impact

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement