Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange red glow from sky last night

Options
  • 02-12-2010 9:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a query really. Was having a peek out around 10PM last night, Carlow region. There was an unusual red glow coming from the sky (I aint talking UFO or anything :o) and my missus confirmed it wasnt my wonky eyes.

Im out in the sticks and not near any town, so it wasnt street lighting.

Im sure it some sort of weather related phenomenon, just wondering did any else notice it or know what would cause it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

It still could be the streetlights from a big town (Carlow?) reflecting off the snow. You don't have to be that near it to see it. Looks pretty impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

fjon wrote: »
    It still could be the streetlights from a big town (Carlow?) reflecting off the snow. You don't have to be that near it to see it. Looks pretty impressive.

Maybe. But Im 7 miles from Carlow and the glow seemed to cover the whole sky. I can see Carlow from my house and it didnt seem to be a brighter in that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

almighty1 wrote: »
    Maybe. But Im 7 miles from Carlow and the glow seemed to cover the whole sky. I can see Carlow from my house and it didnt seem to be a brighter in that direction.

It is as the poster above says. I am 6 miles from Drogheda and we had the same thing several nights. Also, quite a distance from Dublin but the whole sky over the city was glowing several nights as heavy cloud would pass over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

almighty1 wrote: »

I used to live in a place that got fogged in a lot or had considerable marine layer most of the time. At night we got something similar to what you describe: an even red glow despite no obvious source in one area. What we were getting was the light glow from San Diego. It was trippy.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Ok thanks lads, it definitely looks different than the usual low cloud cover street light reflection.

The reflection off the snow seems to emphasis or multiply it.

Never thought it would extend that far out. Looked a scary/incredible sight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement