Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry Hens

• 02-12-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

We usually go out to the Co-op in Kilmeaden for hen food, Layers' Pellets, but we have been unable to go out in the car since Monday last. I was living in hope all the week as Friday was given as the day a thaw would set in but that seems unlikely now. I have enough feed for today and a little for tomorrow.

Does anybody know if Layers' Pellets are available anywhere in town? I'd chance walking in to get it - wheelbarrow or some sort of sledge to bring it home. I'm living in the Bilberry area, near the dog pound.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

What about Pet's R Vets in O Connell St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Pet shop on O connell st should have something. They might have rolled oats in BnQ or woodies maybe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Pet Necessities on the Cork Road have them, that's where I get mine. It's down a lane behind some showrooms.

The pet shop beside Smyths toys have layers pellets.

I've been giving some warmed up cooked pototo and veg peelings and a small bit of warm porridge. The water keeps freezing so needs to be checked a few times every day

If you still cannot get out in your car and are near Viewmount I can give you some layers pellets to get you over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Are hens so fussy? I thought you can feed them anything like apple cores.

• Advertisement

No they're not fussy so you can supplement their diet with food scraps that doesn't contain meat. Layers pellets are nutritionally balanced for egg productions.

I give them some barley or wheat as well, it's supposed to help keep them warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Many thanks to everybody for the replies, suggestions and kind offers. My neighbour called this morning to say they were going to the supermarket and asked if I wanted a lift. They have a four-wheel drive and brought me out to Kilmeadan as well. So, hens are all well.

Deisemum, can I ask where you get the barley and wheat, please. I also give them potatoes and they especially like rice.

Many thanks, everyone. Much appreciated. Hens and ducks all safe for another while.

As an aside, snow on the ground really shows just how much fox activity there is about the garden. With the brightness of the snow we are able to see them at night going around the garden. So far, they have not managed to disturb the hens.

Many thanks.

I get the big bags of barley (same size as the layers pellets) think it's 25kg @ €9.50 in Pet Necessities, they do small bags as well for €2.50 but not good value compared to the big bag. They've a great selection of seeds etc.

How much are the layers pellets in Kilmeaden.

My ladies love potatoes, rice, pasta, couscous, melon, pineapple, grapes most fruits actually.

Deisemum,

My poor chicks have a far more restricted diet than you describe and I feel I have been neglecting them. Must improve!

Layer's Pellets are 10.50 per 25Kg in Kilmeadan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisemum wrote: »
    My ladies love potatoes, rice, pasta, couscous, melon, pineapple, grapes most fruits actually.

Your hens eat better than most people! :eek:

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Your hens eat better than most people! :eek:

They don't get that all the time, just if I've excess fruit or bits that the children I mind didn't finish. They love worms and slugs too :D

Re worms: as soon as I appear with a garden fork in my hands there is a gallop of hens to be there when the soil is disturbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

Sorry, slightly off the topic but there seems to be a few chook experts here so I think I'm in the right place!! My girls seemed to have stopped laying (production does go way down in winter but I'm talking zero eggs). We spotted a rat at the bottom of the hen house and now think the eggs are being nicked by rats. Any ideas? Would prefer not to go down the poison line, the hens are enclosed but we have dogs and cats. Btw, one cat is a useless hunter and the other is only a kitten so no good there.

It's not impossible that the rats are eating the eggs but they could hardly take them. If they are eating them you should still see shells in the nest.

Egg production can drop in the winter due to the shorter daylight hours. I've noticed since we got the snow that my hens are not laying as much.

I read that they may stop or slow down egg production as they use more energy trying to keep warm so not much left for laying.

Same here, a drop in egg numbers but I'm not sure of the reason as my three hybrid hens are ageing and the drop off may be because of that. Two new hens haven't started laying yet. Two duck are egg-laying machines. Then there is the permanently broody ones which is in great condition but never lays and "Big Frank" who used be called "Tulip" until he showed his true colours. He is a Jersey Giant and is living up to the name, a big fellow. What will I do with him?

Advertisement