Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow: The Killer Part II

Options
  • 02-12-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

So last year the snow managed to kill my 5 year old grislinea hedging and a 7 year old bay tree.

So 2 weeks ago i decided to plant 100 laurels :rolleyes: as a replacement for the above. Some of these i can no longer see due to the snow and other I can see the top leave only!! I'd say they are done for!!! :mad::mad::mad:

You guys look like you could loose much?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the snow or the cold killed the griselinia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I suspect a combination of the two. Snow on them for for two weeks plus low's of -17.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

I'm hoping my grisellinias will survive this freeze, have them planted only about a month ago! I've put a layer of weed stopping fabric over them supported by sticks, so that it covers them all around, have also put down extra layer of mulch to pretect the roots. All I can do now is hope they wont freeze, no black tips or anything so far thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Be careful, lack of light is potentially more dangerous than snow, the real culprit is prolonged frost. Plants which are not firm and secured in the ground are very vunerable to wind rock which also make the roots vunerable to frost. A 100mm layer of mulch will protect vunerable plants from frost damage.

If hedging etc is accessible, gently tap plants with sweeping brush to remove some of the lingering snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Be careful, lack of light is potentially more dangerous than snow, the real culprit is prolonged frost. Plants which are not firm and secured in the ground are very vunerable to wind rock which also make the roots vunerable to frost. A 100mm layer of mulch will protect vunerable plants from frost damage.

If hedging etc is accessible, gently tap plants with sweeping brush to remove some of the lingering snow.

Thanks, I know, I've taken the fabric down every morning and put it back just before it gets dark again so the plants will get some light during the day. Bit of extra work but hopefully worth it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Snow does have a benefit for the gardener. Its the best greenhouse cleaning technique know to mankind. Your glass will be gleaming when the snow melts, just make sure to clean your gutters if you have any on the greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

hi there i would arrgue that the snow is actually providing protection to the herbaceous below, and insulating it from the cold. By removing it your exposing the plants to the frosting, and drying elements.
    As for lawns, better off keep well off. By treading down the layer of snow you are increasing the likelihood of damage to the grass, and the ground which is likely to bring on patches of snow mould and numerous other problems after the thaw.
    if there is any damage likely done with first frost to unprotected plants.

Advertisement