Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiddal Triathlon 21/5/2011

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

3 stars (average)
    That was my first triathlon (sprint) and i really enjoyed it. Kudos to the organisers as i thought it went smoothly considering the horrendous conditions. They had backup plans for the swim course and modified it in a way that it was very swimable despite the rough seas. Difficult to see the bouys tho as some of the waves were just massive, i wish they could attach flags to them or something similar. Im sure it would of been very scary for a novice swimmer. The cycle out (net uphill) was added by a stiff breeze pushing you up the hills while on the way back the same wind was hampering the downhill to the extend that i think i went faster out than on the way back. The run was grand except it was a bit of a steeplechase with the large puddles but it didnt make any difference as you were so wet anyway.

Anyway well done to everyone who took part!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Spideal was my 1st tri-athlon and I really enjoyed it. It was a tough day for the organisers, they were so unlucky with the weather but those who took part all seemed to have fun. Well done to all, especially the organisers and helpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gombeen99

The worst part for me was getting out of the car in Spiddal! Enjoyed the Olympic race, don't think I've ever been as wet as I was when I finished. Found the swim tough, got a fair few mouthfuls of sea water from the waves. I felt really sorry for any first-timers who may have been nervous about the swim - fair play to any who competed it in those conditions. Very tough cycle back x2 against the wind & that short stretch of road 1km from Spiddal really was lethal. Even though we were warned, I think there should have been a warning sign or cone or something. That's my only crib really. Amazingly felt grand on the run, probably as couldn't feel my legs! Well done everyone & thanks to marshals & anyone involved on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

3 stars (average)
    Did the sprint. Waiting around in the cold rain for my wave was the toughest part. Its the first time I've jumped in the water and not felt any drop in temperature! Good fun and well organised in the circumstances. Last km into Spiddal on the cycle was indeed lethal. There's a huge drop near the middle of the road after a bend which I knew all about, was even thinking about it during the cycle, but still ended up cycling over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

3 stars (average)
    Also did the sprint. Was very enjoyable despite the weather. The swim was a bit of fun once you got past the pier, but gladly easier on the way back. Agreed with gombeen99, getting out of the car wasn't the easiest but once wet just got on with it.

Well done to the organisers for not calling off the swim, and to all the marshals for their words of motivation. Whatever about doing the triathlon, it cant be nice just standing around in the cold! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

My first tri today, did the olympic and enjoyed it conditions were awful to say the least but the organizers did a fantastic job. Only problem really was the cold, I suffered badly on the cycle, numb feet, upper legs, brain and most other body parts. Feet were like two blocks of ice coming off the bike and then pins and needles on the run.

Good to have one under the belt, just hope the next the weather is a bit better.

By the way whoever said don't let the weather influence what you wear on the cycle and run.... I can confirm you were wrong, you should. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Incremental

Another thumbs up for the organizers and especially the volunteers who braved the conditions to provide assistance.
    Greatly enjoyed it, happy with my times esp. the run, anyone know an accurate measurement, was it 9.6k?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stary

2 stars (poor)
    Any sign of the photos yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just curious but what was the goodie bag like for the Spiddal Tri?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

2 stars (poor)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Just curious but what was the goodie bag like for the Spiddal Tri?

Tee and a small box of cheerios into your hand from very friendly volunteers I must say, no bag. No Medium Tees so I just took a small and gave it to Caz. It was a big 'small' too.. ah well...

Also
    -1 water station poorly located and water in small cups
    -runners taking short cuts going left for the school instead of right for the pier, marshall needed at this point
    - no sign or person advising me to slow down coming into that dangerous bend at speed!

On the other side
    -having a 'neutral' zone on the road for timing was a very clever idea. I'd like to know what the max window is to crioss that zone and start the clock again?
    -very helpful and friendly local volunteers
    -the seafood chowder and bread at the restaurant was delicious
    -having a contingency plan sorted for the swim in advance - fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

On the other side
    -having a 'neutral' zone on the road for timing was a very clever idea. I'd like to know what the max window is to crioss that zone and start the clock again?

It was said that it made no difference if you took 2 seconds or 20 minutes to get across, the time was neturalised off you total time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

2 stars (poor)
    gottarun wrote: »
    It was said that it made no difference if you took 2 seconds or 20 minutes to get across, the time was neturalised off you total time.

It makes a difference alright if you take 5 mins to recover from the bike then cross the line to storm the run on fresher legs...

Still a good idea but I'm sure you would have to discount anyone who took longer than X seconds to cross the road, even if the Gardai had to let traffic pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I'm going to have a moan here. At first I said that I enjoyed the event but 5 days later I still do not have a time for the race. It was my first triathlon and I wore the chiP on my ankle. Chip worked going over mats and was taken off me at the finish. Was told to contact an email address but now they don't reply. Pretty poor really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cdelboy

Worn Out wrote: »
    I'm going to have a moan here. At first I said that I enjoyed the event but 5 days later I still do not have a time for the race. It was my first triathlon and I wore the chiP on my ankle. Chip worked going over mats and was taken off me at the finish. Was told to contact an email address but now they don't reply. Pretty poor really.

+1 to the above unfortunately...

I have also yet to receive my time! I have emailed both the organiser and the contact email given to us for the chip company and havent even received a response to say they are looking into it...pretty poor for the price that was paid to enter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

As a matter of interest, how many people has the organiser contacted from this thread based on what they've posted here?

Thanks

Darragh

Advertisement