Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting CPU

Options
  • 02-12-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I received an order I had put in with hardwareversanrd a while back. (Huzzah!) Anyway, the build went well enough (or so I think) and late last night I got the the point of installing the OS. However, I encountered a little bit of difficulty when mounting the CPU and I'm wondering if this is typical.

I placed the CPU (i5-760) into the socket (correctly at the second time of asking :pac:) of the motherboard (PH755) and pulled the leaver down to lock it into place. What I am concerned about is the amount of force that was required to pull this leaver down and latch it into place. I eventually had to apply force to the leaver from it's centre because it was beginning to bow. Furthermore, I could hear a sort of grinding/ cracking noise as the plate (the locking plate associated with the leaver) began to push down on the CPU compartment.

After a few false starts where I was reluctant to apply too much force (I had looked at a few youtube installations and it looked like they applied a lot less force), I decided to go for it and forced the leaver down under the catch come hell or high water. It worked! However, there appears to be quite a bit of force contained in the leaver and it appears to be bowing ever so slightly in the centre - like it's ready to fire back at any moment. I would have thought that it should have locked and released any pressure on the leaver.

So I'm now concerned that something didn't lock into place, and even though everything seems fine with the build, at some stage that leaver will fail and all that potential energy contained in the leaver will burst out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

The first time you placed cpu into socket i presume you didn't try put the latch down? :P

If cpu is lined up correctly in the socket the retention lever needs a scary amount of pressure to lock it down so dont painc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Nah, I didn't close the plate. I just initially plopped it down the wrong way around (the little notches were a the wrong end). It was fitted correctly when I went to close the plate.

I'm just concerned that it took so much force to get the thing to lock. And now all that that force is still contained in the leaver. Should the plate click into place and release all that energy in the leaver? I'm convinced (hopefully incorrectly) it's basically a catapult ready to go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I have never heard the plate click into place as such.

Dont worry about the leaver having all the energy contained in it,its just designed that way.

If your still concerned take cpu out and make sure all the pins are straight in the socket and then reseat the cpu.I wouldn't but it might put your mind at ease.

Ps,
    Just saw your edit lol yeah thats normal to think that.

I'm hoping that none of the pins are bent. I had a quick look at the mobo yesterday (should have had a closer look) and they all seemed fine. Additionally, the fact that XP seems to be working without problem (or was last night) suggests that there isn't a problem with the pins. At this point I'd be a bit reluctant to remount the fan/ CPU after installing them (I'm happy to limit my physical contact with the CPU and also don't want to mess up the thermal paste). If the lever (spelt that wrong earlier) is, as you say, always under tension then I'm happy with what I've done.

Maybe the guys on youtube were just stronger than me and able to force the lever down easier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I always find the heatsink/fan is the scary part :p Lever should be relatively straight forward... tho I haven't tried any of the i5/7 processors yet.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those who have.

The heat sink/fan with the iSeries is really well designed from an installation perspective.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I've been here a good few times myself, but any push-pin CPU cooler is scary; you think you'll snap the mobo in two forcing the feckers in! :eek:

And take it from someone who has an i5-760 testbench running happily behind him: Locking an LGA1156 CPU into the socket is sheer balls-to-the-wall terrifying :eek::eek::eek: The clamping forces are so far beyond those of an LGA775 socket its utterly ludicrous :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Solitaire wrote: »
    I've been here a good few times myself, but any push-pin CPU cooler is scary; you think you'll snap the mobo in two forcing the feckers in! :eek:

And take it from someone who has an i5-760 testbench running happily behind him: Locking an LGA1156 CPU into the socket is sheer balls-to-the-wall terrifying :eek::eek::eek: The clamping forces are so far beyond those of an LGA775 socket its utterly ludicrous :eek:
    try putting in a 980x and its not yours and then having to fit a cooler you have never seen before lol (now that,s scary )
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDsjSW00ehwVCLt1rCKqMO8XMcxxieVXglH8rF07LVttrNLDGHUQ

Advertisement