Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Discussion] - A Charter for Cool Vids

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think the problem with the you laugh you lose thread is that humour is subjective. Repetitive stuff like trollface / whichever meme faces can annoy people but even then can sometimes be hilarious.
    In terms of moderating I would be against any further restriction in you laugh you lose.
    It's been delimited now as a pic thread, funny gifs have their place etc. We're trying to get in as quickly as possible to moderate the reposts.

Asking for mods to mod humour is a bit subjective. Either a joke is lame or it's funny. Sometimes there are jokes there I crack up about that I just know 95% of people won't get or find funny. More often there are jokes with 20+ thanks and I don't understand why they are funny.

I'm just unsure about the idea of moving all the memeface posts to another thread. I've genuinely found many of them hilarious. More haven't been quite to my tastes.

Having said that YLYL could continue without them... Well we've got a thread for demotivational pics. The YLYL thread also benefits from funny demotivational pics. I consciously don't move them to the other thread now. Part because they're funny and you laugh you lose is about funny pics... partly because to move one would mean to move them all and I don't want to change the equilibrium in the thread which has been a benefit to the cool vids community in general.

I do notice that cool vids / pics / links has had more traffic than it normally would have because of the you laugh you lose thread.

I'd be concerned about killing the positivity of that. However I do appreciate that the discussion on how to handle it best is public.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I agree with Dr B. Where do you draw the line if you start to move memes to their own thread? The vast majority of the posts in that thread ARE memes, for example the rageface comics, yet they're usually some of the more popular pictures.

The YLYL thread will suffer if it's over-moderated. The Recliner did a great job with the thread before he stepped down and I think the current mods are continuing that good work.

I don't agree with ALL discussion being deleted either. I've often asked questions about a certain post and have got helpful replies. Sometimes someone will make a comment about a picture that is funny and relevant to the thread. Posts like that should be left. Obviously posts complaining about reposts etc., should be deleted.

I think the way it's going now is grand. If it's not broke etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Why is everyone trying to fix something that already works fine?

A fantastic job is already being done. Reposts are reduced to links, the threads are kept clean & on-topic. And there are hardly any complaints within the threads over content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd suggest a compilation of them all if people want to separate them.

"Rage, Trollface, Forever Alone, Fuuuu, Me Gusta Thread"

These are easily separated into a different thread. Recognisable features include a panel layout, black on white, and ends in the face.

You can't have a 'meme' thread, because there are new ones started all the time, and it could be a meme and you wouldnt even know it.

Personally, I don't see the need to seperate at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The "Don't abuse people personally" guideline has led to posts being removed before in YLYL thread and others.

This would usually happen when someone posts an image that just isn't funny or so badly edited you can't understand it, and someone posts a response to it that is funny (e.g. the person was just looking for thanks.l person is forever alone, and such). This sticks within the 'no chat' rule, and the response is to the image posted. 9/10 the reponse ends up being thanked by the original poster.

The issue I've seen in the past is that these response posts were being removed immediatly citing "Attack the post, not the poster, dont abuse personally" and such. Even AFTER the original poster has thanked the new post and shown that they found the response funny.

Now I haven't seen it recently, but it annoyed me when it did happen. Think there needs to be clarification on what is joking around in response to a post, and what is actually being considered an attack or abuse(unfortunately thats like opening pandoras box).

• Advertisement
Advertisement