Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove the Kiosk

• 02-12-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I think the city council would want to get rid of the monstrosity in John Roberts Square (Red Square to some of the older posters).
    I really feel its out of place where it is.

If the city council what to put a coffee shop in the centre of town they could buy the unused building their that used to be EBS building Society its right in the middle of the square.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

That would have required clear thinking:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

jayboi wrote: »
    I think the city council would want to get rid of the monstrosity in John Roberts Square (Red Square to some of the older posters).
    I really feel its out of place where it is.

If the city council what to put a coffee shop in the centre of town they could buy the unused building their that used to be EBS building Society its right in the middle of the square.

I'd hate to work in the kiosk, it must be freezing. I don't see what the kiosk achieves that a shop with a window hatch wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I actually like the kiosk. They do decent food, and its handy to just sit there when its sunny out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I actually like the kiosk. They do decent food, and its handy to just sit there when its sunny out.

I'm off the same opinion, never really found it an eye-sore to be honest and it's very handy when walking through the city centre. Seems to be in-line with many other Eurpoean cities too as I've seen many of these types of semi-permanent kiosks on street corners there.

(not that I hang around a lot on street corners in European cities, that just sounds dodgy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I like it aswell but it is located badly, I would hate to own one of the shops it blocks, i.e. Kniesels, etc... It should have been located more centrally in the Square. As far as I know it's owned by the CityCouncil and leased/rented by Paul Reid.

• Advertisement

rayc wrote: »
    Seems to be in-line with many other Eurpoean cities too as I've seen many of these types of semi-permanent kiosks on street corners there.

I think they are usually smaller. I think it would be nicer to take a shop thats on a corner and knock out the windows.

I would like a kiosk that sells flowers though, it would brighten up the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I dont see walking into a coffee shop and getting coffee as much more of an inconvience than stoping on the street.

That kiosk is huge just to be selling coffee and a few cakes.

I would have liken to have seen a coffee shop in where metor is now or where pandora is going instead nice spots with good views of the square.

Someone must of had there heart set on a kiosk and putting it slap bang in the middle. I wonder is it more of a revene generator for the city counil that anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

With the snow, it would look great if they put up wall panels on the kiosk to give it a snow-covered wood cabin look. They could put lights on it too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Its too big and imposing and stuck up against shopfronts it spoils the overall ambience of the square like those big hugh poster yokes..they have to go.....
    out out out:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

At least its not as pointless as that metal thing outside sam maccauleys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think it looks okay but the area is feeling rather cramped now that the merry-go-round is there. Maybe they could have made it look a bit more attractive like the ones you see on the Quayside in Dublin and in Cork.

dermo909 wrote: »
    At least its not as pointless as that metal thing outside sam maccauleys!

The thing with an umbrella? Its a bike stand, just not a very good one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think he means the massive metal monstrosity with a couple of information screens embedded in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Kahless wrote: »
    I think he means the massive metal monstrosity with a couple of information screens embedded in it.

+1 Seems the council thinks...size matters:( while destroying what beauty we have.

They do a lot of great stuff...but .......

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

ah the council....

they actually make me laugh, the things they are soooo proud off...

clowns really IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

There are plenty of vacant units in the Red Square. This thing looks ridiculous. I dont know what the Reids input was into getting it open but you can bet if it was someone unknown the wouldnt have opened it.

If they wanted to put something in the square they could have put some benches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ah the Kiosk looks alright IMO. Takes the look of all the scumbags that hang around that area.

Kahless wrote: »

Ah, I know what you mean now. It is fairly ugly. That bike stand is ugly too, and hard to use, the ones like in the park or ballybricken are nicer and more practical. While we are at it can we get rid of the black phallic symbol in the centre of red square. Overall red square is just too cluttered.

Clear out everything except the trees and benches. I'd put in some more benches, a cafe with a hatch in a vacant shop, some 'normal' bike stands and a small kiosk selling flowers. The hobby horses are nice for festive occasions.
    Ah the Kiosk looks alright IMO. Takes the look of all the scumbags that hang around that area.

It gives the scumbags something to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I don't mind the kiosk at all. tis grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think the Kiosk is a lovely addition. Might not be perfect, but its better then nothing.

What our focus should be on is that "information area" outside the pharmacy there. The big metal structure with a few TVs and fancy lights is awful since day one and is not only completely and utterly useless, its ugly. It should be removed and scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Sully wrote: »
    I think the Kiosk is a lovely addition. Might not be perfect, but its better then nothing.

What our focus should be on is that "information area" outside the pharmacy there. The big metal structure with a few TVs and fancy lights is awful since day one and is not only completely and utterly useless, its ugly. It should be removed and scrapped.

Just unbolt it Friday night and it will be in the back of a hi-ace by Saturday morning bawhs

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Whats the point of having an open public space if they are only going to cram it full of stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Here's a question what are the cost of the rate for the kiosk in comparison to to a shop front, i bet that its cheaper to run the kiosk than if they had a shop front, plus the issue of actually getting what you need from the landlord. plus they are only paying ground rent to the council not actual full rent to the landlord which may be considerably higher.

Advertisement