Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets and pet insurance

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

What astonishes me is that vets should expect pet owners to support their balance of payments, after persuading the pet owners to pay €20 a month insurance for many years!

You mean if the insurance claim doesn't come through? But you hardly expect the vet to get stung with the bill for your dog's treatment?

Also, vets don't make any money out of recommending insurance to owners so it's not like they have some hidden agenda when "persuading" you to get it (if they get anything out of it it's that it allows them to do better diagnostic tests/use better treatments/do surgeries the owner normally couldn't afford - which works out better for everyone.)

(sorry, maybe i'm just not understanding you right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

dvet wrote: »
    You mean if the insurance claim doesn't come through? But you hardly expect the vet to get stung with the bill for your dog's treatment?

I don't, of course. I mean that it's a bit ripe that you have to pay upfront for the treatment, then reclaim the money, when you've already paid insurance for years. It's as if the VHI suddenly announced: "You'll have to pay for the operation, consultant and hospital stay, then claim the money back from us."

Ah, I get you now. It's a fairly crappy situation alright... More or less makes having insurance useless!

Do you think you can come to any arrangement with your vet about it? Or are you going to try to find a vet without the 'upfront' policy?

Ah, I get you now. It's a fairly crappy situation alright... More or less makes having insurance useless!

Do you think you can come to any arrangement with your vet about it? Or are you going to try to find a vet without the 'upfront' policy?

I think I'm going to have to change vets. It breaks my heart - this is a great vet, and a nice person - but I'll have to find someone who'll treat pets without being paid upfront. It's either that or limit my pet's treatment to what I can afford to pay for upfront, so there's really no other choice.

I think I'm going to have to change vets. It breaks my heart - this is a great vet, and a nice person - but I'll have to find someone who'll treat pets without being paid upfront. It's either that or limit my pet's treatment to what I can afford to pay for upfront, so there's really no other choice.

Hopefully you'll be able to find another one who's just as good - best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully you'll be able to find another one who's just as good - best of luck with it :)

Thanks!

Advertisement