Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway rent-a-bike scheme

Options
  • 02-12-2010 11:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the success of the Dublin scheme, the Council is seeking to bring it to Galway in summer 2011 - that's only 6 months away. It would be modelled on the dublin version, with a private company involved. There'll be docking stations and redistribution trucks moving bikes around to meet demand. See, wasn't that road upgrade on the SeamusQuirke road a good thing *L*
    What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its a great idea, Galway is probably even more suited to it than Dublin. I dont see why it could not be rolled out for July 2012 when the Volvo Ocean race will be in town. I only hope the cards will be smart. Allow GB (Galway Bikes ) users to use the DB scheme and other BikeSchemes that maybe launched around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Great idea, now even more people can enjoy the miles of well-planned, well-built cycle lanes.....oh wait......<scratches head>

Great idea, now even more people can enjoy the miles of well-planned, well-built cycle lanes.....oh wait......<scratches head>

:confused: What about all the roads we have in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is there not already a company doing something of that ilk?
    All those green bikes one sees knocking around?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is there not already a company doing something of that ilk?
    All those green bikes one sees knocking around?

no.
    green is a popular colour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Article
    Mayor Crowe said this can be done in a number of ways; a company can operate and run the service and be allocated advertising space elsewhere in the city - the set up and running costs would then be borne by the company. Alternatively, the council might take a more involved role.
    Given that there's a financial black hole up there, we're looking at Option 1 then. So it's JC Deceaux and their wonderful hoardings then. I look forward to them fitting them on Galway's narrow streets without causing traffic or pedestrian hazards.

I'll be a user though if it materialises and would love to see it come to fruition.

Robbo appears in a non-sarcastic and positive post shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

:confused: What about all the roads we have in the city?

Erm, you're more likely to see a cyclist on a pavement than on the road in this city.

No problem if you're on your first set of teeth but I do get very cross when I see it.

I was knocked over by a stupid, lump of a woman on a mountain bike on the prom and still have the scars on my arm to prove it.

That said, I can understand why do cyclists do it. Somewhere like Lough attalia is a nightmare to cycle along particularly at rush hour.

But when you see what a disaster the cycle lanes in Doughiska are (like, seriously, WHAT IDIOT designed them, and WHAT IDIOT(s) thought they were a great idea) it doesn't bode well for the rest of the city.

A real shame and a missed opportunity to improve the city for it's residents and tourists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

They have them in London, they look ridiculous and they seem to cost an awful amount to rent.

Anyway it wouldn't work, I'd definitely steal one.
    _42703831_fastshowgeezer270.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

With the ones in Dublin, I believe the first half hour is free - that's a grand deal if you're nipping across town.

A lot of those 'green' bikes you see were/are tourist rental bikes from one company. They often sell off some of their stock at the
    end of season too, that's why there's a load of the same brand of green ones.

• Advertisement

Erm, you're more likely to see a cyclist on a pavement than on the road in this city.

No problem if you're on your first set of teeth but I do get very cross when I see it

I agree, but you also get a load of twats in cars who will actually give out to cyclists and tell them to get of the road! Cyclists are like the Jews of the transport world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Idiot on a bike nearly caused 2 people ending up in hospital and a dog in the vets a couple of hours ago. I was crossing from Lidl to Aldi with dog. Cars going nice and slow. One car waved me across. Just reaching the far side when this dickhead on a bike comes flying down the inside with no lights. He bounced off me but we both kept upright. He must have come from at least eight car lenghts back (and they were well spaced out) in less than two seconds as I was watching out. If the dog had been 6 inches ahead of me instead of to heel the bike would have got tangled in the lead and brought us all down. People like him bring responsible cyclists a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I agree, but you also get a load of twats in cars who will actually give out to cyclists and tell them to get of the road! Cyclists are like the Jews of the transport world.

Mainly because if you actually drive, cyclists become one of the most dangerous obstructions on the road, and by their own doing. I've yet to see a cyclist stop for a red light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Mainly because if you actually drive, cyclists become one of the most dangerous obstructions on the road, and by their own doing. I've yet to see a cyclist stop for a red light

Cyclists are road users not obstructions, but kudos for proving Fionn's point. Considering the multiples of drivers I see going through red lights in galway every day I'm not sure you've made the strongest argument here. You can follow me around on my bike next time I'm out if you like and I'll stop at all the lights as I (and the majority of cyclists) usually do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Road behaviour in Galway City is shockingly bad, and that includes cyclists. The traffic law enforcers -- Council and Garda -- are not much better, either in their own driving behaviour or in enforcing the law fairly and consistently.

That said, more cyclists on the road will make cycling safer. Anything that promotes cycling in a sustainable way is good as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

You're more than welcome to follow me around when I cycle - I can also point you in the direction of large numbers of regular cyclists who obey the rules of the road (including traffic lights). I don't disagree that there are cyclists who do stupid things on the road and endanger themselves and others but don't paint the rest of us with broad strokes. You will see lots of motorists running red lights (I have examples on video) just stand at the junction of the Newcastle Road and the Quincentenary Bridge (one 'blackspot' exampe) you'll see several for yourself. As others have said, we need to see the Gardai enforcing all traffic regulations to all traffic/road users (i.e. include motorists, cyclists and pedestrians).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ciotog wrote: »
    You're more than welcome to follow me around when I cycle - I can also point you in the direction of large numbers of regular cyclists who obey the rules of the road (including traffic lights). I don't disagree that there are cyclists who do stupid things on the road and endanger themselves and others but don't paint the rest of us with broad strokes. You will see lots of motorists running red lights (I have examples on video) just stand at the junction of the Newcastle Road and the Quincentenary Bridge (one 'blackspot' exampe) you'll see several for yourself. As others have said, we need to see the Gardai enforcing all traffic regulations to all traffic/road users (i.e. include motorists, cyclists and pedestrians).

Link or GTFO. ;)

No offence meant -- just honouring Boards conventions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Link or GTFO. ;)
    No offence meant -- just honouring Boards conventions. :)
    Will upload later - have to sift through and copy out the clips :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone else coming around to the idea that the only solution to the great cyclist/motorist debate is summary executions on both sides for infringements? Think of the positives: safer roads, enforcement through terror, an astonishing sense of community, a positive atmosphere, a sense of a job well done, a shared sigh of relief very much like the bizarre euphoria at the end of an hours vomiting.

No it's just you.

If anyone wants proof of how dangerous the Bridge/Newcastle Road junction is, stand there and activate the pedestrian light and notice how many motorists actively choose to accelerate through red lights when the green man is showing for pedestrians. Then phone the Garda about it and you'll just get a disinterested response: shure dats da way dat road is

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    No it's just you.

If anyone wants proof of how dangerous the Bridge/Newcastle Road junction is, stand there and activate the pedestrian light and notice how many motorists actively choose to accelerate through red lights when the green man is showing for pedestrians. Then phone the Garda about it and you'll just get a disinterested response: shure dats da way dat road is
    A couple of red light cameras there would have us quids in quickstyle.

Back to the Thread title. What about suggestions for locations of the Docking Stations? And how big should the initial network of the GalwayBike Scheme be?

Back to the Thread title. What about suggestions for locations of the Docking Stations? And how big should the initial network of the GalwayBike Scheme be?

Obvious ones:
    The poor clares convent
    Forthill cemetery
    Coolaugh quarry
    Mutton Island
    An Post sorting depot
    Tonabrucky reservoir

100 bikes should do it

ciotog wrote: »
    Will upload later - have to sift through and copy out the clips :D
    Videos of cars going through red lights? That'll be a Youtube sensation!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    With the ones in Dublin, I believe the first half hour is free - that's a grand deal if you're nipping across town.

A lot of those 'green' bikes you see were/are tourist rental bikes from one company. They often sell off some of their stock at the
    end of season too, that's why there's a load of the same brand of green ones.

Won't council sponsorship of this scheme put them out of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

JustMary wrote: »
    Won't council sponsorship of this scheme put them out of business?
    Different kind of bikes and a different target market i'd imagine.

Those green bikes are touring bikes, suitable for tourists biking a good distance.... like at least as far as silver strand. Big wheels.

These new ones are more geared for nipping around the town, suitable for locals and maybe tourists making short journeys. Small wheels.

McTigs wrote: »
    Different kind of bikes and a different target market i'd imagine.

Those green bikes are touring bikes, suitable for tourists biking a good distance.... like at least as far as silver strand. Big wheels.

These new ones are more geared for nipping around the town, suitable for locals and maybe tourists making short journeys. Small wheels.

Not really; are you basing this on the dublin bikes? They don't have small wheels. The green bikes are single speed and the dublin bikes have at least a couple of gears, which would be of more importance over long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

My bad, i had no factual knowledge there i just thought from looking at pictures that the wheels were like a Triumph 20 size diameter.

Are you sure the green bikes single speed? That's news to me too.

Every green bike for hire I've ever seen is single speed, I tend to keep an eye out for this sort of thing for no good reason.
    The wheels on the rental bikes probably aren't the biggest but I don't think they are 20inch either. Would have to check though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

the green bikes are usually 18 speed... The rental bikes are smaller than mountainbike wheels. Not sure how small though. They are not really suitable for distances more than a mile or two and are designed as such. Meant for people popping around town not going for spins out the country. The fact that the first half hour is free kinds proves that.

Advertisement