Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway rent-a-bike scheme

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cyclists are road users not obstructions, but kudos for proving Fionn's point. Considering the multiples of drivers I see going through red lights in galway every day I'm not sure you've made the strongest argument here. You can follow me around on my bike next time I'm out if you like and I'll stop at all the lights as I (and the majority of cyclists) usually do.
    I never said they weren't, I did say that they BECOME obstructions by their own doings. Also I hope you aren't implying that I'm a twat in a car who hates cyclists.
    ciotog wrote: »
    You're more than welcome to follow me around when I cycle - I can also point you in the direction of large numbers of regular cyclists who obey the rules of the road (including traffic lights). I don't disagree that there are cyclists who do stupid things on the road and endanger themselves and others but don't paint the rest of us with broad strokes. You will see lots of motorists running red lights (I have examples on video) just stand at the junction of the Newcastle Road and the Quincentenary Bridge (one 'blackspot' exampe) you'll see several for yourself. As others have said, we need to see the Gardai enforcing all traffic regulations to all traffic/road users (i.e. include motorists, cyclists and pedestrians).

Here's the thing - This arguement could go on forever. I've seen some people in cars go through red lights around galway, but I've never seen one cyclist stop for them. There's always going to be some percentage of the population on the roads that are idiots, no matter what form of transport they use. The thing is - I know what I'm doing when I'm driving, and other cars too (generally) but there's no knowing what cyclists could do, and that's mainly because of a lack of obeying ROTR and having some common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I never said they weren't, I did say that they BECOME obstructions by their own doings. Also I hope you aren't implying that I'm a twat in a car who hates cyclists.

No, they are still not obstructions, they continue to be road users.

Here's the thing - This arguement could go on forever. I've seen some people in cars go through red lights around galway, but I've never seen one cyclist stop for them.

personal experience =/= reality. Post the above in the cycling forum and see how far you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

personal experience =/= reality. Post the above in the cycling forum and see how far you get.

vice-versa for the motoring forum.... and it goes on and on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Great idea. I hope it will help development of some cycling paths around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Not really; are you basing this on the dublin bikes? They don't have small wheels. The green bikes are single speed and the dublin bikes have at least a couple of gears, which would be of more importance over long distances.

I drive, cycle, bus and walk.
    Dublin Bikes have 3 gears and are very heavy.
    Single speed light frame would be grand for tearing along once you have momentum.
    I'd imagine the touring bikes would be fitted with groupsets and deraileurs if there was demand and it made more money.

I rode the Dublin bikes for about a month to get a feel for cycling on the roads whilst waiting for my own bike to be delivered. Would never go back to them.
    Cycle lanes are a little better up here, but the DB users are often people who can balance themselves on a bike, but haven't a bull's notion about the rules of the road, spatial awareness or self-preservation.
    Wobbly feckers most of the time.

When cycling in Galway years ago, I would just take up the space of a car on the road as it wasn't wise/safe to be cycling at the edge, pedestrians step out without looking, you're not always in the field of vision of drivers, buses will crush you etc. Never got honked at, did my best not to hold folk up either.
    I have gone on footpaths in the past when parked cars and heavy traffic blocked the road. Would cycle when the path was clear, keeping away from shopfronts and doorways, and would dismount if needed.
    Shame about the 'outside' pedal catching people's shins the odd time, but thems the breaks.

Banning on-street parking on Eglinton street would be great, unless you're a driver and need to park there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Any update on this? I know they wanted it in in time for volvo race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

yer man! wrote: »
    Any update on this? I know they wanted it in in time for volvo race.

The minister - who I met Wednesday week - says his money is on table. They want a commercial co-sponsor to come in and put up match funding. So it would be branded like the "Barclays" bikes in London. (of course everyone calls them "Boris" bikes :D)

From memory, I think they are looking for 3.7 million for a 15 year sponsorship deal. So it would be the Coca Cola/Pepsi etc Galway Bikes Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The minister - who I met Wednesday week - says his money is on table. They want a commercial co-sponsor to come in and put up match funding. So it would be branded like the "Barclays" bikes in London. (of course everyone calls them "Boris" bikes :D)

From memory, I think they are looking for 3.7 million for a 15 year sponsorship deal. So it would be the Coca Cola/Pepsi etc Galway Bikes Scheme.

/Medtronic/Boston Scientific's i.e major multinationals who could afford this. 3.7million. (Per city right?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Cyclists are like the Jews of the transport world.

What a fúcked up in the head thing to say.

You sound like the kid who used to pull his pants down in the schoolyard to get a few cheap laughs from the other kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

FYI - Fionn was banned a long time ago for that and other things, so he can't respond to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I must say to people posting on this thread, be careful what you say.... I have come to realise that the cyclists of Boards.ie are very defensive over their right to pick and choose which road laws apply to them... We should just admit now that they are the superior people. How dare we use motor vehicles on public roads when they are cycling... tut tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Davyhal wrote: »
    I have come to realise that the cyclists of Boards.ie are very defensive over their right to pick and choose which road laws apply to them... We should just admit now that they are the superior people. How dare we use motor vehicles on public roads when they are cycling... tut tut tut

17664343.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I don't always use the wrong meme, but when I do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Robbo wrote: »
    I don't always use the wrong meme, but when I do...

g1333395911742581082.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

Advertisement